Nicholas and Alexandra by Robert K. Massie

Nicholas and Alexandra (1967)

by Robert K. Massie

History of the last Czar ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 10, 2017 |
I've not read very much Russian history, but a fictional account of the last Russian Tsar's last days with his family before they were all executed in 1918 (The Kitchen Boy) caught my interest and, based on that, I decided to read some nonfiction about Nicholas II, his wife Alexandra and their five children, including their one son, their youngest, Nicholas's heir, a hemophiliac.

I found this very interesting. I didn't rate it higher because the political stuff just isn't as interesting to me as their personal lives. Rasputin's (all I knew about him before this was from the Boney M song!) part in the entire story really held my attention. Fascinating story with a tragic ending. ( )
  LibraryCin | Dec 10, 2016 |
Fascinating and well-researched story of the last Tsar of Russia, Nicholas, and his wife Alexandra and their children. I first read this book approximately 40 years ago and loved it and find it even more fascinating now. The Tsar is presented as a kind, but totally confused and out of touch monarch. WWI truly brought out the huge gap between the European monarchs and the people of their countries and this was especially true in Russia. Many of the historical characters such as Rasputin are presented as real people and not just one-sided historical figures. ( )
1 vote maryreinert | Apr 26, 2016 |
Have read this book multiple times and always find it fascinating. ( )
  Jeff_Duncan_FL | Dec 24, 2015 |
ספר יוצא מן הכלל, לא רק בגלל שהוא מלמד אותך פרק קריטי בהיסטוריה האנושית כי אם גם ובעיקר בגלל שהוא גורם לך מעורבות רגשית עמוקה בחייה של משחת רומנוב. אנשים פשוטים ולא חכמים במיוחד שהגורל הציב אותם בראש אמפריה הגדולה בעולם. למרות כל הפשעים שהם עשו למרות הגינותם הבסיסית אינך יכול שלא להרגיש חמלה ושותפות גורל לזוג המיוחד הזה ולפשמפחה כפי שהם מתוארים באומנות על ידי רוברט מסי ( )
  amoskovacs | Jul 19, 2015 |
"I have a firm, an absolute conviction that the fate of Russia—that my own fate and that of my family—is in the hands of God who has placed me where I am. Whatever may happen to me, I shall bow to His will with the consciousness of never having had any thought other than that of serving the country which He has entrusted to me."

NICHOLAS II
"After all, the nursery was the center of all Russia's troubles."

SIR BERNARD PARES
"The Empress refused to surrender to fate. She talked incessantly of the ignorance of the physicians . . . She turned towards religion, and her prayers were tainted with a certain hysteria. The stage was ready for the appearance of a miracle worker . . ."

GRAND DUKE ALEXANDER
"The illness of the Tsarevich cast its shadow over the whole of the concluding period of Tsar Nicholas II's reign and alone can explain it. Without appearing to be, it was one of the main causes of his fall, for it made possible the phenomenon of Rasputin and resulted in the fatal isolation of the sovereigns who lived in a world apart, wholly absorbed in a tragic anxiety which had to be concealed from all eyes."

PIERRE GILLIARD
Tutor of Tsarevich Alexis
"Without Rasputin, there could have been no Lenin."

ALEXANDER KERENSKY
To Suzanne
From the Baltic city of St. Petersburg, built on a river marsh in a far northern corner of the empire, the Tsar ruled Russia.

The story of the love that ended an empire

In this commanding book, Pulitzer Prize–winning author Robert K. Massie sweeps readers back to the extraordinary world of Imperial Russia to tell the story of the Romanovs’ lives: Nicholas’s political naïveté, Alexandra’s obsession with the corrupt mystic Rasputin, and little Alexis’s brave struggle with hemophilia. Against a lavish backdrop of luxury and intrigue, Massie unfolds a powerful drama of passion and history—the story of a doomed empire and the death-marked royals who watched it crumble.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:19 -0400)

More than a quarter of a century after it was first published in hardcover comes a never-before-issued trade paperback edition of the classic Nicholas and Alexandra. Featuring a new introduction by its Pulitzer Prize -- winning author, this powerful work sweeps us back to the extraordinary world of Imperial Russia to tell the story of the Romanovs' lives: Nicholas's political naivete, Alexandra's obsession with the corrupt mystic Rasputin, and little Alexis's brave struggle with hemophilia. Against a lavish backdrop of luxury and intrigue, Robert K. Massie unfolds a powerful drama of passion and history -- the story of a doomed empire and the death-marked royals who watched it crumble.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,618,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible