A Picture of Freedom: The Diary of Clotee, a…
Member:janetguzman
Title:A Picture of Freedom: The Diary of Clotee, a Slave Girl, Belmont Plantation, Virginia 1859 (Dear America Series )
Authors:Patricia C. McKissack
Other authors:Pat McKissack
Info:Scholastic (2003), Hardcover, 128 pages
Tags:risk, learningreading, freedom, love

A Picture of Freedom : the Diary of Clotee, a Slave Girl by Patricia C. McKissack

This is a book I would use with 4th and 5th graders due to the vocabulary of the book and the content it hold. The book does touch on death and "punishment" of the slaves. However, the overall message of the book is much more powerful than that. The book is about a young girl who loves to learn and finally realizes the meaning of life. There are multiple ways we could use this book. I would most likely have children read a chapter of it a day. Sometimes with me, sometimes independently, or sometimes with a reading tape. I would use the book as a Segway into talking about which amendments actually freed the slaves and gave them their freedom that Cl;otee is so desperate to find. We could also use this book while talking about the civil war, and the civil rights movement. This is because all of these things gave people who were once slaves the freedome that Clotee learns about throughout the book.
  aburgin01 | Apr 29, 2016 |
fantastic, this book had me engaged from the start to finish. very informative about the slavery trade and the atrocities that happened; makes you grateful that this practice of abuse to other humans is no longer allowed. Very sad in some parts and hard to believe that people treated other people in this way. This book encourages you to research into slavery. ( )
  rata | Aug 30, 2015 |
Grade: 4th through 6th

Genre: Historical Fiction

Written in Dialect. Can be hard to read for younger students. I personally had fun reading it aloud. Written as a Diary.

From School Library Journal:
"Grade 4-6. Clotee is an orphan living on the plantation of "Mas' Henley" and "Miz Lilly." Her owners have put her to work fanning Miz Lilly and her young son William during tutoring sessions. William may not be keen to learn, but Clotee is. She has learned to read while looking over the boy's shoulder and eventually she teaches herself how to write. She practices her newfound skills by writing in a makeshift, secret diary, which is found by William's new tutor. Luckily, he turns out to be an abolitionist. Through his work, Clotee helps some of her friends escape to the North, but she herself chooses to stay behind on the plantation as a conductor on the Underground Railroad. Clotee is such a vibrant, fully rounded character that it is almost painful to think of her left on the plantation while her friends and fellow slaves go to freedom. McKissack brings Clotee alive through touching and sobering details of slave life, told in such a matter-of-fact way that their often brutal nature is made abundantly clear. However, this is in no way a depressing book. In fact, it is an inspiring look at a young girl coming of age in terrible circumstances who manages to live life to the fullest.?"
Melissa Hudak, Northern Illinois Medical Center, McHenry, ILCopyright 1997 Reed Business Information, Inc. ( )
  aelucas | Dec 10, 2013 |
I was very caught in to this story and thought that it was very descriptive about the live of a slave girl named clotee's life, her time period, and her thoughts about the changing world all around her. Being the time period that it was, slavery was still going on in clotee's world, and nowadays it's hard to imagine what life would be like if you were a slave who knew how to read and write, and this elaborate story helped me to picture that. I really felt like I was in clotee's world while reading this book. ( )
  Scuttle2003 | Oct 31, 2013 |
diary of a little girl which shares her troubles as a slave girl
  janetguzman | Dec 11, 2012 |

In 1859 twelve-year-old Clotee, a house slave who must conceal the fact that she can read and write, records in her diary her experiences and her struggle to decide whether to escape to freedom.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,717,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible