By the Great Horn Spoon! by Sid Fleischman

By the Great Horn Spoon! (edition 1988)

by Sid Fleischman

Member:peacegoodwill
Title:By the Great Horn Spoon!
Authors:Sid Fleischman
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (1988), Edition: Later printing, Paperback, 224 pages

By the Great Horn Spoon! by Sid Fleischman

Good Luck Arizona Man by Rex Benedict (nessreader)
    nessreader: Both are wild western farces about the wild west as imagined from a long way away, tall tales full of crazy characters and danger that never really hurts the heroes, flamboyantly told. Very funny if not at all accurate.

Brimming with riveting adventure, the story is set during the Gold Rush. The fast-moving plot follows the high spirited young Jack and his aunt's faithful butler, Praiseworthy, as they set out to strike it rich in order to support the financially strapped and beloved Aunt Arabella. As Jack and the loyal butler travel by sea and land, the pair meet a series of memorable characters such as the daring, crusty sea Captain Swain and the diabolical Cut-Eye Higgins. ( )
  LynneQuan | Oct 3, 2017 |
Probably would work well for 'tween male reluctant readers. Could also be read aloud, a bit at a time, by a social studies teacher. I live near 'Hangtown' (now Placerville) and other mining towns, and still I learned a lot. I see in the search results that there are teaching guides available - if I were to include this in my curriculum I'd definitely pick up one of those, too, as there was a lot of detail in the history as for instance road agents, Long Toms, tempting people to come to an auction with free butter (to slice and eat there like popcorn on a bar), ratlines on a ship, etc. etc.

But primarily it's a truly rollicking adventure, with just enough heart to keep a reader engaged in the characters while s/he turns the pages wondering how they're going to get out of this scrape and wondering what adventure they'll experience next. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Good old Sid Fleischman. I almost never like books (or movies) about the frontier, the Old West, etc. This book is so much fun though--basically a Jeeves and Wooster story for American kids, only without Wooster.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Reason for Reading: read aloud to my 9yo to go with our history studies.

Summary: Aunt Arabella is in imminent danger of losing her estate so Jack and the butler, Praiseworthy, leaving a note behind, stowaway on a ship to reach California where they plan to strike it rich with the other forty-niners. Thus coming home in time to save Aunt Arabella's estate. If only things worked out just as we planned them...

Comments: As historical fiction, the book's historical content is contained to life aboard a coal-fueled steamship, both above and below decks, the lifestyle of a gold miner and the drudgery of working on a gold claim with the likelihood of not finding any gold. Otherwise, the tale told here is far too tall to take seriously. Having read a handful of Fleishman's books, including some McBroom, I knew what to expect all along.

A delightful, over-the-top, rip-roaring adventure that both ds and I enjoyed immensely. The character of Praiseworthy is hilarious. Being the perfect 'stiff upper lip' butler he is completely out of his element in the dusty wilds but like the perfect butler he can fix any awkward situation in a jiffy. Praiseworthy slowly loses pieces of his butler's ensemble and with it his lip begins to loosen up as well. Undoubtedly, Praiseworthy is the star of this book. Oddly enough though, with the book being about the rush for gold, the first good half (maybe a bit less) of the book takes place aboard the steamship. We certainly enjoyed the exploits on board, and sailing books are a big hit around here, but we did start to wonder when the gold rush part of the book would ever start. To sum up the story simply put: good, clean fun with plenty of action and loads of laughs.

The only thing I didn't enjoy were the illustrations which are of the scribbled variety. I'm sure someone may appreciate them; they are detailed but to me they look like continuous line drawings that were scribbled up in two minutes. I'm not a fan of von Schmidt. But I am pleased the book keeps the original illustrations. There is nothing worse than ripping apart a piece of literature by implanting 'new' illustrations. This brings me to the cover. Neither my son nor I were pleased with it. When reading ds always has a fun time placing the cover picture in the story and guessing what is happening in the cover. Since the cover illustration has been 'updated' the characters look nothing like they do inside the book and he could not figure out who they were and when the fight scene finally came he was literally disgusted with the cover drawing, especially of Praiseworthy. 'Doesn't look anything like him!' he said. I agree.

http://www.back-to-books.blogspot.com ( )
  ElizaJane | Oct 26, 2009 |
I've been reading this book aloud to my 9 yo ds. It is a rollicking good read! Two adventurers head from Boston to California to make their fortune during the Gold Rush. Their adventures start as their boat travels around the tip of South America. The excitement continues as they finally make it to California to search for gold. Tension abounds with evil characters like Cut-Eye Higgins and natural dangers in the form of grizzly bears. Each chapter is exciting, funny and clever! If you enjoy adventure, humor, historical fiction and tall tales, then this book is for you! The ultimate critic of boring books, my ds, loves it! ( )
  HollyinNNV | Feb 24, 2009 |
Bullwhip Griffin (Original title: By the Great Horn Spoon!)

In this rollicking adventure set during the California Gold Rush, Jack's aunt is forced to sell her beloved mansion to meet her debts. She is still unable to raise enough money to pay her creditors, and twelve-year-old Jack goes to California in search of gold to help her. Joined by his trusty butler, Praiseworthy, Jack finds adventure and trouble at every turn. Will Jack strike gold in San Francisco or come home empty-handed?

This new edition features illustrations by Brett Helquist.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:20 -0400)

The story of a young boy who lives with his proper Bostonian aunts and their very correct butler. When their money runs perilously low, the boy and the butler stow away on a ship bound for the gold fields of California and many adventures follow.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,031,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible