The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood

The Robber Bride

by Margaret Atwood

5,888113710 (3.83)1 / 485
    Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood (sturlington)
    sturlington: One book is about friendship among girls, the other about friendship among women.
    One Moment, One Morning by Sarah Rayner (Pedrolina)
    Pedrolina: Stories of women's friendship, loss and moving on.

English (109)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  French (1)  All (113)
A view of femme fatality from the point of view of the women whose lives she overturns. A scathing condemnation of homewrecking that manages not to be shrill or wholly accusatory. All of the women in the story all whole beings, flaws and strengths and all. Bernadette Dunne makes what could be a very difficult listen (there is a character who frequently thinks to herself in inverted words and phrases) seem quite natural and melifluous. ( )
  Soroka25 | Mar 9, 2017 |
The beautiful, enigmatic, villainous Zenia has ruined three women's lives. They meet at her funeral, and then run into her at a coffee shop. From there, we get their stories of how Zenia has affected them, which leads to the resolution in the final third of the book.

I enjoyed this book. There were a few parts where I thought that one of the characters became a bit cartoonish, and there were parts where I wanted Zenia to have a few more redeemable qualities to add depth to the novel. Overall, thought I thought that it was well done, and I enjoyed reading it. ( )
  fuzzy_patters | Sep 25, 2016 |
I read this when I was in Canada last year - and it was actually this very cover that was on my edition.

The Robber Bride has one of my favourite characters ever. Zenia. The woman comes back from the dead and leaves a trail of destruction in her wake. She's one of the best villains I've ever read. She's cold, ruthless and beautiful: a suburban predator.

I don't like her, I love her. I want to be her. (But she's so terrible.) I need to know how she thinks. (But it's dark and mysterious.)

I didn't always like the story - but some of the lines give me chills. Atwood's writing is sharp, clean, and remarkably feminist. She can put into words thoughts or feelings that I've been struggling with for a long time.

All of the characters are very well-constructed, and Atwood can weave a tale like no one else.

The only thing that would really improve this book is if it were longer. c: ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Ovo je definitivno knjiga ženskih likova. Tri žene Tony, Roz i Charis postaju prijateljice u zajedničkoj borbi protiv Zenije. Zenia, manipulatorica, patološka lažljivica u toj borbi bira oružje na koje su njih tri najosjetljivije a to su njihovi muškarci. "Otima" ih a naravno muškarci se pri tom ne bune. ;)

Knjiga mi se izuzetno dopala jer izuzetno fino secira žene, emancipaciju, feminizam. Mislim da velik broj žena u nekom periodu svog života strepi od žena tipa Zenia. Možda su žene u svojoj emancipaciji stale na pola puta, pa iako su uspješne treba im muškarac da ga maze, paze i gotive.
Muškarci su u ovoj knjizi samo figure tj. predmet borbe. Prikazani su kao slabi, izmanipulirani, patetični. I sama prevoditeljica ove knjige se u pogovoru knjige pita:
"Kako to da takve mizerije i frustrirani pajaci uopće mogu biti ičiji emocionalni fokus, a nekmoli objekt preotimanja? Pitanje je, dakako, neodgovorivo..." ( )
  Dinci | Aug 16, 2016 |

Dinci | Aug 16, 2016 |
Margaret Atwood has always possessed a tribal bent: in both her fiction and her nonfiction she has described and transcribed the ceremonies and experience of being a woman, or a Canadian, or a writer -- or all three. And as with so many practitioners of identity politics, literary or otherwise, while one side of her banner defiantly exclaims "We Are!" the other side, equally defiant, admonishes "Don't Lump Us." In "The Robber Bride," Ms. Atwood has gathered (not lumped) four very different women characters.

Margaret Atwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lameris, MarianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tarlofsky, MalcolmCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A rattlesnake that doesn't bite teaches you nothing.
—Jessamyn West
Only what is entirely lost demands to be endlessly named: there is a mania to call the lost thing until it returns.
—Gunter Grass
Illusion is the first of all pleasures.
—Oscar Wilde
For Graeme and Jess,
and for Ruth, Phoebe, Rosie, and Anna.

For Absent Friends.
The story of Zenia ought to begin when Zenia began.

Margaret Atwood's The Robber Bride is inspired by "The Robber Bridegroom," a wonderfully grisly tale from the Brothers Grimm in which an evil groom lures three maidens into his lair and devours them, one by one. But in her version, Atwood brilliantly recasts the monster as Zenia, a villainess of demonic proportions, and sets her loose in the lives of three friends, Tony,

Charis, and Roz. All three "have lost men, spirit, money, and time to their old college acquaintance, Zenia. At various times, and in various emotional disguises, Zenia has insinuated her way into their lives and practically demolished them.

To Tony, who almost lost her husband and jeopardized her academic career, Zenia is 'a lurking enemy  commando.' To Roz, who did lose her husband and almost her magazine, Zenia is 'a cold and treacherous bitch.' To Charis, who lost a boyfriend, quarts of vegetable juice and some pet chickens, Zenia is a kind of zombie, maybe 'soulless'" (Lorrie Moore, New York Times Book  Review). In love and war, illusion and deceit, Zenia's subterranean malevolence takes us deep into her enemies' pasts.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:30 -0400)

Roz, Charis, and Tony are all hurt and damaged by Zenia during their thirty-year relationship and after Zenia's death she still haunts them.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,247,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible