No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay

No Time for Goodbye

by Linwood Barclay

Recently added bytygress, private library, Mllic, mjkenyon, gerg40517, booknest, apostate, sunster09, chrissilu68
    Tell No One by Harlan Coben (char81)
    char81: Quite similar storyline.
    You're Next by Gregg Hurwitz (amyblue)
    amyblue: Similar cold case family mystery and "every day joe" main characters. Both are great "suburban thrillers."
    Panic by Jeff Abbott (amyblue)

English (75)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (81)
A solid mystery writer and a great narrator. Is there anyone that narrates the detective/police procedure/mystery role with more class than Christopher Lane? His consistant low-key voice is so likable and believable. This novel has an unusual mystery storyline. The author chooses to bring the reader in on the mystery about 2/3 of the way through the book, just in time for the chase. I am very hard to engage as a reader, and this novel kept my attention until the end. There is a lot of talent within these pages. ( )
  steeleyjan | Apr 16, 2015 |
No Time For Goodbye

*REVIEW* 4 stars

Great Read!!!

Wow! What do you say about a book that's captivating? The plot twists were super. This is my first Linwood Barclay novel. I look forward to reading more of his work. This is one that I would highly recommend. ( )
  Feleciak | Mar 7, 2015 |
There is just something about Linwood Barclay that always captures me. I started reading and didn't come up for air until the next day! A gripping tale of a somewhat unbelievable crime and yet, it's uniqueness just made the read all that more fascinating. I loved the characters, especially the three main ones, a family. I was hooked from page one and particularly loved the author's use of two narratives. Interspersed amongst the main narrative are short chapters which detail an ongoing conversation between two people, which at first makes no sense at all and very slowly reveals to the reader who they are and what they are up to. There are only a couple of Barclay's backlist I hadn't read yet and I chose to read this now as his current novel is about the same family as here so of course I had to read this first :-) ( )
  ElizaJane | Mar 3, 2015 |
May 1983 – 14 year old Cynthia Bigge wakes up the morning after an almighty row with her father, and discovers that her entire family – her mother, father and brother have disappeared. The mystery is never solved, and for 25 years, Cynthia has to live with not knowing what happened to them. Are they dead? Alive? Did they just choose to leave her, or did some other fate befall them?

2008 – Cynthia appears in one of those hokey true-crime television shows, which revisits the mystery of her family’s disappearance, and soon afterwards, strange things start happening – a phone call from someone saying that they know where her family are; her father’s old hat suddenly appearing in their house, and other events. Is someone playing cruel games with Cynthia, or is they mystery finally about to be solved?

Apart from the very brief prologue describing the night of the disappearance from Cynthia’s point of view, the rest of the story is narrated by her husband, a high school English teacher named Terry. Cynthia and Terry have a more-or-less happy marriage, and an eight year old daughter named Grace, but the mystery of what happened to her parents and brother has haunted Cynthia for years, to the extent that when odd events occur, Terry questions Cynthia’s sanity.

If you are a fan of thrillers/whodunnits, then I’d recommend this story. Sometimes the writing is a bit cliched, and I did figure out the ending before the big reveal, but there was plenty here that kept me entertained. The writing flowed well, and I read huge chunks at a time, because I was eager to find out what happened (and if my guesses were correct). The plot sometimes veered close to being ludicrous, but I just went with it, and enjoyed it anyway. As with most books in this genre, I would not read it again, because it’s more about the destination rather than the journey, so once you know who ‘dunnit’ there’s not much point in re-reading. Terry was a decent enough narrator, although not a particularly interesting character (to me anyway), but this book is definitely more plot driven than character driven, so the fact that he did not make a huge impression on me did not really matter.

All in all, it’s not brilliant, but it’s an enjoyable diversion and I’d read more by Linwood Barclay. ( )
  Ruth72 | Jan 15, 2015 |
4.5/5 stars. I really enjoyed this book! the characters, the storylinr. Everytime I thought I knew the ending I was way off mark. This was my first ever book From Linwood Barclay and it won`t be the last. ( )
  dom76 | Dec 31, 2014 |
Barclay's approach is to busy the narrative with detail, smart angles and anything else that qualifies as devious. At this, he misses none of the tricks. He converts what at first might pass for red herrings into events crucial to the story, and he reconfigures characters that appear to be cheering on the Archer family from the sidelines into people with less benign agendas. Barclay rarely allows the reader to get comfortable, and in the process..he has written his most involving crime novel so far

added by vancouverdeb | editthestar.com (Jan 16, 2011)

This is for my wife, Neetha.
When Cynthia woke up, it was so quiet in the house she thought it must be Saturday.
(A note from Cynthia's mother)

"...here's the one thing you have to know. No matter what, I will always love you. There's nothing you could ever do that would make me stop...even when you've got a husband and kids of your own ...I will always be with you."

On the morning she will never forget, suburban teenager Cynthia Archer awakes with a nasty hangover and a feeling she is going to have an even nastier confrontation with her mom and dad. But when she leaves her bedroom, she discovers the house is empty, with no sign of her parents or younger brother Todd. In the blink of an eye, without any explanation, her family has simply disappeared. Twenty-five years later Cynthia is still haunted by unanswered questions. Were her family murdered? If so, why was she spared? And if they're alive, why did they abandon her in such a cruel way? Now married with a daughter of her own, Cynthia fears that her new family will be taken from her just as her first one was. And so she agrees to take part in a TV documentary revisiting the case, in the hope that somebody somewhere will remember something - or even that her father, mother or brother might finally reach out to her...Then a letter arrives which makes no sense and yet chills Cynthia to the core. And soon she begins to realise that stirring up the past could be the worst mistake she has ever made...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553590421, Mass Market Paperback)

Fourteen-year-old Cynthia Bigge woke one morning to discover that her entire family–mother, father,brother–had vanished. No note, no trace, no return. Ever.  Now, twenty-five years later, she’ll learn the devastating truth.

Sometimes it’s better not to know. . . .

Cynthia is happily married with a young daughter, a new family. But the story of her old family isn’t over. A strange car in the neighborhood, untraceable phone calls, ominous “gifts”–someone has returned to her hometown to finish what was started twenty-five years ago. And no one’s innocence is guaranteed, not even her own. By the time Cynthia discovers her killer’s shocking identity, it will again be too late . . . even for goodbye.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Cynthia Bigge wakes up one morning to find her entire family gone. Twenty-five years later, their unexplained disappearance still haunts her. She agrees to appear on the reenactment show Deadline, hoping the TV exposure might provide her with some answers, although her husband, English teacher Terry Archer, is considerably more skeptical. Indeed, not long after the show airs, the two are shaken down by a psychic, receive a series of bizarre phone calls, and become the victims of a break-in, although nothing is taken; instead, something is left--a hat that Cynthia is convinced belonged to her father.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,905,992 books! | Top bar: Always visible