No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay

No Time for Goodbye

by Linwood Barclay

Tell No One by Harlan Coben (char81)
    char81: Quite similar storyline.
    You're Next by Gregg Hurwitz (amyblue)
    amyblue: Similar cold case family mystery and "every day joe" main characters. Both are great "suburban thrillers."
    Panic by Jeff Abbott (amyblue)

English (70)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (76)
I'd give 4.5 stars for some of it that came off a little hokey to me but good enough to rate it 5 stars and not 4. I couldn't guess at what happened in this story which kept me reading and I like that.

If you read the synopsis then there's no need for me to review this because I can't tell any more or I'd be giving stuff away. That can't happen.

This is the prequel to No Safe House which I can't wait to read! ( )
  Sharn | Sep 6, 2014 |
The cover announces, "You wake up. Your house is empty. Your family has disappeared without a trace..." I couldn't imagine what happened. It's a thriller with surprises - twists, turns and curves - from one page into the next. With a copyright of 2007, it's difficult to believe it took me so long to 'discover' this author and particularly this title. I tried my best to guess 'the ending' but I didn't - Now it's your turn! I definitely recommend this title but if you read before bedtime - beware - you're not going to want to stop reading and morning does come early when that alarm goes off for work. :) In the meantime, I'm off to the bookstore...I absolutely can't wait to open the pages of his other titles. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Aug 6, 2014 |
Wow. Another great thriller from Linwood Barclay - hard to put down. I am so excited to be able to recommend him to people. ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
Mystery, murder, intrigue, suspense and more twists and turns than you can poke a stick at - all the hallmarks of a Linwood Barclay book. Oh and this one did not let me down. I loved every bit of it - eagerly pouring over each page, reluctant to put it down to go to sleep. This author knows how to keep you hanging on a thread. ( )
  KerryMarsh | Jan 22, 2014 |
Barclay's approach is to busy the narrative with detail, smart angles and anything else that qualifies as devious. At this, he misses none of the tricks. He converts what at first might pass for red herrings into events crucial to the story, and he reconfigures characters that appear to be cheering on the Archer family from the sidelines into people with less benign agendas. Barclay rarely allows the reader to get comfortable, and in the process..he has written his most involving crime novel so far

added by vancouverdeb | editthestar.com (Jan 16, 2011)

This is for my wife, Neetha.
When Cynthia woke up, it was so quiet in the house she thought it must be Saturday.
(A note from Cynthia's mother)

"...here's the one thing you have to know. No matter what, I will always love you. There's nothing you could ever do that would make me stop...even when you've got a husband and kids of your own ...I will always be with you."

On the morning she will never forget, suburban teenager Cynthia Archer awakes with a nasty hangover and a feeling she is going to have an even nastier confrontation with her mom and dad. But when she leaves her bedroom, she discovers the house is empty, with no sign of her parents or younger brother Todd. In the blink of an eye, without any explanation, her family has simply disappeared. Twenty-five years later Cynthia is still haunted by unanswered questions. Were her family murdered? If so, why was she spared? And if they're alive, why did they abandon her in such a cruel way? Now married with a daughter of her own, Cynthia fears that her new family will be taken from her just as her first one was. And so she agrees to take part in a TV documentary revisiting the case, in the hope that somebody somewhere will remember something - or even that her father, mother or brother might finally reach out to her...Then a letter arrives which makes no sense and yet chills Cynthia to the core. And soon she begins to realise that stirring up the past could be the worst mistake she has ever made...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553590421, Mass Market Paperback)

Fourteen-year-old Cynthia Bigge woke one morning to discover that her entire family–mother, father,brother–had vanished. No note, no trace, no return. Ever.  Now, twenty-five years later, she’ll learn the devastating truth.

Sometimes it’s better not to know. . . .

Cynthia is happily married with a young daughter, a new family. But the story of her old family isn’t over. A strange car in the neighborhood, untraceable phone calls, ominous “gifts”–someone has returned to her hometown to finish what was started twenty-five years ago. And no one’s innocence is guaranteed, not even her own. By the time Cynthia discovers her killer’s shocking identity, it will again be too late . . . even for goodbye.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:05 -0400)

Fourteen-year-old Cynthia Bigge wakes up one morning to find her entire family gone. Twenty-five years later, their unexplained disappearance still haunts her. She agrees to appear on the reenactment show Deadline, hoping the TV exposure might provide her with some answers, although her husband, English teacher Terry Archer, is considerably more skeptical. Indeed, not long after the show airs, the two are shaken down by a psychic, receive a series of bizarre phone calls, and become the victims of a break-in, although nothing is taken; instead, something is left--a hat that Cynthia is convinced belonged to her father.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,472,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible