The rule of four by Ian Caldwell

The rule of four (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Ian Caldwell

Member:inkdrinker
Title:The rule of four
Authors:Ian Caldwell
Info:New York: Dial Press, 2004. 372 p. : ill., map ; 25 cm.
Tags:fiction, college, books about books, hc, mystery

The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (2004)

Recently added byBb5, private library, aliupton, Redned71, paintfox, shaunesay, jorgensenjc, Fraper, Angela.Me
Legacy LibrariesInternational Space Station
    The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (hdcclassic)
    Angels & Demons by Dan Brown (AnnaClaire)
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (crimeminister)
    The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: Textual obsession, intrigue, multiple authorship conundrums
    The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl (bookfitz)
    Possession: A Romance by A. S. Byatt (majkia)
    majkia: same sort of atmosphere and sense of obsession
    The Genesis Code by John Case (Scottneumann)
    Map Of Bones by James Rollins (Scottneumann)
    The Torah Codes by Ezra Barany (dafkah)
    dafkah: This award-winning bestseller is a Jewish version of The Da Vinci Code.
    The Hellfire Club by Peter Straub (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: The Hellfire Club is what The Rule of Four might be if it had graduated college and grown up some. The thrills are more thrilling, the enigmatic text is more imaginary, and the characters are deeper and more perplexing. Yale is a bit of background in Straub's book, contrasted with the foregrounded Princeton in The Rule of Four.… (more)
    S. by Doug Dorst (Anonymous user)
    The Book of God and Physics: A Novel of the Voynich Mystery by Enrique Joven (bertilak)
    The Faculty Club: A Thriller by Danny Tobey (amyblue)
    The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber (Gaelstirler)
    Gaelstirler: Hunt for a lost manuscript by Wm Shakespeare using clues left in the letters of a Renaissance smuggler found hidden inside the bindings of an antiquarian's book. The hunt includes deciphering coded messages and maps, murder, suspense, and greed as in The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell.… (more)
    The Romanov Prophecy by Steve Berry (adithyajones)

English (134)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All (1)  All (1)  Portuguese (1)  All (147)
This was a tricky one for the end of the year. Some of us were not up to the task of unraveling the puzzle of the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili! It may well have been the time of year, or, as someone suggested, the self-indulgence of the two authors. Either way, it was a struggle for most of our group to get through this scholarly mystery.
Anne, who did enjoy the challenge, felt you needed a love of history and accumulating knowledge to get the most from this book, and she loved the ‘mystery within the mystery’ that ran throughout. Viti also found some value within its pages and the historical tidbits that were scattered through the story.
But the overall opinion was that Rule of Four did not quite make the grade for a good novel. To much work required, tedious and characters that did not connect were among the majority of views. Would it have been different if we read this book at the beginning of the year? Probably not. Our book club has a well developed sense of what they like, and are not easily convinced otherwise.

So it is on to a new year of reading, which gets everyone excited about what we will discover. Keep an eye on this blog for our latest reviews of 2013.
  jody12 | Feb 2, 2017 |
Disappointing read - a promised payoff sputters and dies. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
nothing solved at end left opening for next book — great stories of Princeton Rites!

It's Easter at Princeton. Seniors are scrambling to finish their theses. And two students, Tom Sullivan and Paul Harris, are a hair's breadth from solving the mysteries of the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili—a renowned text attributed to an Italian nobleman, a work that has baffled scholars since its publication in 1499. For Tom, their research has been a link to his family's past—and an obstacle to the woman he loves. For Paul, it has become an obsession, the very reason for living. But as their deadline looms, research has stalled—until a long-lost diary surfaces with a vital clue. And when a fellow researcher is murdered just hours later, Tom and Paul realize that they are not the first to glimpse the Hypnerotomachia's secrets.
  christinejoseph | Sep 28, 2016 |
I'm giving this one 1 star, as in I didn't like it; a first for me as I can usually dredge up at least a 2. I didn't like it at all but my Mom always taught me to finish what I start .... so I plodded through this dark story of obsession, dysfunctional relationships, treachery and evil with cipher and code suppositions that were way too far fetched for me.
In real life, the co-authors have been friends since they were 8 years old. I hope their relationship is healthier than that of the group of characters who they picked to portray. This is a disjointed, convoluted mystery without end.
There were a few good lines, like: Make new friends but keep the old; one is silver and the other gold. Most of the other good lines have already quoted by others, so I will just say, read the quotes from the book and you'll have had the best of this loathsome book.
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
I think I expected too much from this book. I wanted it to be about the secrets hidden within an ancient book. And it was, to a certain extent, but it was also largely about what it's like to finish college and leave that social microcosm behind. I had trouble keeping the characters straight for much of the book, and completely missed the cause of Gil and Charlie's argument. (It was referred to many times but never with a reminder of what it was about in the first place, so the deterioration of their friendship meant nothing to me.) The drunken rampage, while reasonable for the plot, seemed to rely on a character I swear I'd never even seen before. A lot of it made me feel like the characters were based on real people, and thus shoehorned in despite not quite fitting in the world of the story. Attempting to cram most of the story into a couple days interspersed with flashbacks instead of telling it chronologically didn't work very well either. I kept losing track of what happened when. I think, in the end, it tried to be too many stories at once, and thus told all of them poorly. ( )
  melydia | Feb 29, 2016 |
As a thriller, The Rule of Four is not especially fast-paced, but the personalities and relationships are well-handled, as is the narrator's conflict between his desire for a normal relationship with his girlfriend and the sense that he is being dragged into dangerous obsession. This is good entertainment, a Da Vinci Code for people with brains.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Independent, Jane Jakeman (May 31, 2004)

This promises well for the future of the authors, either together or separately. Next time, their ambition may vault lower and their presentation smoother, but meanwhile The Rule of Four is a great read on its own youthfully brash terms. The title, by the way, refers not (or not only) to the roommates or to their college years but again to the encryption in the Hypnerotomachia. It is never fully explained.

Ian Caldwellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thomason, Dustinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KjellTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wahlund, TorstenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gentle reader, hear Poliphilo tell of his dreams,
Dreams sent by the highest heaven.
You will note waste your labour, nor will listening irk you,
For this wonderful work abounds in so many things.
If, grave and dour, you despise love-stories,
Know, I pray, that things are will ordered herein.
You refuse? But at least the style, with its novel language,
Grave discourse and wisdom, commands attention.
If you refuse this, too, note the geometry,
The many ancient things expressed in Nilotic signs . . .
Here you will see the perfect palaces of kings,
The worship of nymphs, fountains and rich banquets.
The guards dance, dressed in motley, and the whole
Of human life is expressed in dark labyrinths.

- Anonymous Elegy to the Reader, Hypnerotomachia Polilphili
For our parents
Like many of us, I think, my father spent the measure of his life piecing together a story he would never understand. (Prologue)
Strange thing, time.

A mysterious coded manuscript, a violent Ivy League murder, and the secrets of a Renaissance prince collide in a labyrinth of betrayal, madness, and genius in The Rule of Four. Princeton. Good Friday. 1999. On the eve of graduation, two students are a hairsbreadth from solving the mysteries of the Hupnerotomachia Poliphili, a Renaissance text that has baffled scholars for centuries. Famous for is hypnoticd power of those who study it, the five-hundred-year-old Hypnerotomachia may finally reveal its secrets-to Tom Sullivan, whose father was obsessed with the book, and Paul Harris, whose future depends on it. But as the deadlines loons, research has stalled-until and ancient diary surfaces. What Tom and Paul discover inside shocks even them: proof that the location of a hidden crypt has been ciphered within the pages of the obscure Renaissance text. Armed with this final clue, the two friends delve into the bizarre world of the Hypnerotaomachia-a world of forgotten erudtion, strange sexual appetites, and terrible violence. But just as they begin to realize the magnitude of their discovery, Princeton's snowy campus is rocked: a longitme student of the book is murdered, shot dead in the hushed halls of the history department. So begins a cycle of deaths and revelations that will force Tom and Paul, with their two roommates, into a fiery drama spun from a book whose power and meaning have long been misunderstood. (from book jacket)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440241359, Mass Market Paperback)

An ivy league murder, a mysterious coded manuscript, and the secrets of a Renaissance prince collide memorably in The Rule of Four—a brilliant work of fiction that weaves together suspense and scholarship, high art and unimaginable treachery.

It's Easter at Princeton. Seniors are scrambling to finish their theses. And two students, Tom Sullivan and Paul Harris, are a hair's breadth from solving the mysteries of the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili—a renowned text attributed to an Italian nobleman, a work that has baffled scholars since its publication in 1499. For Tom, their research has been a link to his family's past—and an obstacle to the woman he loves. For Paul, it has become an obsession, the very reason for living. But as their deadline looms, research has stalled—until a long-lost diary surfaces with a vital clue. And when a fellow researcher is murdered just hours later, Tom and Paul realize that they are not the first to glimpse the Hypnerotomachia 's secrets.

Suddenly the stakes are raised, and as the two friends sift through the codes and riddles at the heart of the text, they are beginnning to see the manuscript in a new light—not simply as a story of faith, eroticism and pedantry, but as a bizarre, coded mathematical maze. And as they come closer and closer to deciphering the final puzzle of a book that has shattered careers, friendships and families, they know that their own lives are in mortal danger. Because at least one person has been killed for knowing too much. And they know even more.

From the streets of fifteenth-century Rome to the rarified realm of the Ivy League, from a shocking 500 year-old murder scene to the drama of a young man's coming of age, The Rule of Four takes us on an entertaining, illuminating tour of history—as it builds to a pinnacle of nearly unbearable suspense.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:25 -0400)

An ivy league murder, a mysterious coded manuscript, and the secrets of a Renaissance prince collide memorably in THE RULE OF FOUR -- a brilliant work of fiction that weaves together suspense and scholarship, high art and unimaginable treachery. It's Easter at Princeton. Seniors are scrambling to finish their theses. And two students, Tom Sullivan and Paul Harris, are a hair's breadth from solving the mysteries of the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili--a renowned text attributed. to an Italian nobleman, a work that has baffled scholars since its publication in 1499. For Tom, their research has been a link to his family's past -- and an obstacle to the woman he loves. For Paul, it has become an obsession, the very reason for living. But as their deadline looms, research has stalled -- until a long-lost diary surfaces with a vital clue. And when a fellow researcher is murdered just hours later, Tom and Paul realize that they are not the first to. glimpse the Hypnerotomachia 's secrets. Suddenly the stakes are raised, and as the two friends sift through the codes and riddles at the heart of the text, they are beginning to see the manuscript in a new light--not simply as a story of faith, eroticism and pedantry, but as a bizarre, coded mathematical maze. And as they come closer and closer to deciphering the final puzzle of a book that has shattered careers, friendships and families, they know that their own lives. are in mortal danger. Because at least one person has been killed for knowing too much. And they know even more. From the streets of fifteenth-century Rome to the rarified realm of the Ivy League, from a shocking 500 year-old murder scene to the drama of a young man's coming of age, THE RULE OF FOUR takes us on an entertaining, illuminating tour of history--as it builds to a pinnacle of nearly unbearable suspense.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,334,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible