Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S.;…

Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats (original 1939; edition 1982)

by T.S.; Edward Gorey (Illust.) Eliot

3,913None1,306 (4.03)98
Member:SebastianHagelstein
Title:Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats
Authors:T.S.; Edward Gorey (Illust.) Eliot
Info:Harcourt Brace & Co. (1982), Paperback, 64 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:poetry, classic, cats, illustrated

Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats by T. S. Eliot (1939)

20th century (56) American (28) American literature (23) American poetry (17) animals (53) art (20) British (33) British literature (20) cats (393) children (31) children's (45) children's literature (24) classic (47) classics (31) Eliot (24) English (18) English literature (29) fiction (144) Gorey (69) humor (162) illustrated (56) literature (72) non-fiction (20) paperback (23) poems (35) poetry (1,474) read (50) T.S. Eliot (42) unread (24) verse (21)

English (39)  Danish (1)  All languages (40)
Delightful book of poetry about cats from T. S. Eliot with illustrations by Edward Gorey. A true classic! You are certain to see most cats you know somewhere among the ones in the small volume.
  thornton37814 | Apr 7, 2014 |
This is a cute book, but as a dog lover, it is Edward Gorey's illustrations that make it worthwhile for me. The poems are fast and singsong in tempo, probably best for reading aloud. There are a few surprising (to me) racist references, particularly disparaging the Chinese, which dates the book a bit. Something very different from the author of The Waste Land. ( )
  sturlington | Apr 5, 2014 |
I have always been a bit afraid of T.S. Eliot, thinking of him as a serious and somewhat gloomy poet. What a surprise this cheerful and light book of poems was!! And Edward Gorey's illustrations were equally wonderful. ( )
  leslie.98 | Feb 11, 2014 |
Nice edition but I prefer the one with the Gorey illustrations. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
When looking through lists of poetry books trying to decide which to read for my book challenge I knew I couldn't pass this one. Cats the Musical, and this book, are my wifes' favourite and she named my cat after Mr Mistoffelees.

It was an amusing little book with fun, kitty stories though was a touch racist in parts. After reading certain poems I watched YouTube clips of the Cats version and found they never quite fit what I had in my head. The tempo of the poems in the book is quite fast which obviously wouldn't always work in a musical.

I will now sit down with my wife and watch the whole musical to see how it all connects. A quick, entertaining read. ( )
  Shirezu | Mar 31, 2013 |

Eliot, T. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bentley, NicolasIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorey, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hallqvist, Britt G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scheffler, AlexIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Book is respectfully dedicated to those friends who have assisted its composition by their encouragement, criticism and suggestions: and in particular to Mr. T. E. Faber, Miss Alison Tandy, Miss Susan Wolcott, Miss Susanna Morley, and the Man in White Spats.

O. P.
The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter, / It isn't just one of your holiday games; / You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter / When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
This is a work by T.S. Eliot.  Please do not combine with the Diary-Calendar of the same name.  Thank you!

Eliot’s famous collection of nonsense verse about cats-the inspiration for the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical Cats. This edition features pen-and-ink drolleries by Edward Gorey throughout.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:36 -0400)

These playful verses by a celebrated poet have delighted readers and cat lovers around the world ever since they were gathered for publication in 1939. As Valerie Eliot has pointed out, there are a number of references to cats in T.S. Eliot's work, but it was to his godchildren, particularly Tom Faber and Alison Tandy, in the 1930s, that he first revealed himself as "Old Possum" and for whom he composed his poems.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,440,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible