Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S.;…

Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats (original 1939; edition 1982)

by T.S.; Edward Gorey (Illust.) Eliot

Member:SebastianHagelstein
Title:Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats
Authors:T.S.; Edward Gorey (Illust.) Eliot
Info:Harcourt Brace & Co. (1982), Paperback, 64 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:poetry, classic, cats, illustrated

Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T. S. Eliot (1939)

English (47)  Danish (1)  All languages (48)
hard to read without singing ( )
  caseybp | Jan 19, 2016 |
This whimsical collection of poetry was the basis for the musical Cats, and most of the lyrics were taken directly from the poems. I'm very familiar with the musical (ok, I have most of it memorized), and it was neat to see some of the verses that were left out. It's not great poetry, but it is a fun read. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
This became popular after the advent of the Broadway musical "Cats" - it shows a whimsical, frivolous side of the otherwise heavily serious poet.
  librisissimo | Dec 10, 2015 |
This was one of those interesting yard sale finds when I was in high school that talked to my reading heart and never let it go. Whether I had read of T.S. Eliot's works before coming upon this book I don't remember but whenever I hear his name this is what I start thinking about.

Where to start on the praises of this book? First of all the majority of the poems are rhyming with an almost musical quality to it. To keep the reading flowing the wording is easy to understand and follow along.

Furthermore for the cat-lover and to those who know a cat T.S. Eliot has done a wonderful job in capturing their essence. His characters are strong, individualistic and with zany quirks all too real to a home of a cat(s) while his poem "The Ad-dressing of Cats" reminds the reader this was one person who knew his cats. ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Aug 26, 2015 |
My dad bought me this book for my tenth birthday. This was sometime before Andrew Lloyd Webber brought out the musical 'Cats' which is based on it. I found it fun and absorbing. I was least keen on the trouble-making cats. The cats I like best are the old, mysterious ones, the old gumbie cat, who sleeps all day and performs good deeds at night, old Deuteronomy, Mr Mistoffeles and Gus, the theatre cat. ( )
  AmiloFinn | Jun 14, 2015 |

Eliot, T. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bentley, NicolasIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorey, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hallqvist, Britt G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scheffler, AlexIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Book is respectfully dedicated to those friends who have assisted its composition by their encouragement, criticism and suggestions: and in particular to Mr. T. E. Faber, Miss Alison Tandy, Miss Susan Wolcott, Miss Susanna Morley, and the Man in White Spats.

O. P.
The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
This is a work by T.S. Eliot.  Please do not combine with the Diary-Calendar of the same name.  Thank you!

Eliot’s famous collection of nonsense verse about cats-the inspiration for the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical Cats. This edition features pen-and-ink drolleries by Edward Gorey throughout.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:50 -0400)

These playful verses by a celebrated poet have delighted readers and cat lovers around the world ever since they were gathered for publication in 1939. As Valerie Eliot has pointed out, there are a number of references to cats in T.S. Eliot's work, but it was to his godchildren, particularly Tom Faber and Alison Tandy, in the 1930s, that he first revealed himself as "Old Possum" and for whom he composed his poems.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,167,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible