The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie

The Secret of Chimneys (original 1925; edition 1978)

by Agatha Christie

Member:mfagan
Title:The Secret of Chimneys
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Dell Publishing Company (1978), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie (1925)

I think Christie's international intrigue novels are not for me. The only time I perked up was when Bundle and Virginia Revel were in the scene, livening up the dialogue. Otherwise there was not much here; and of course the lovely casual racism and antisemitism and xenophobia so particular to British fiction of this era stand out all the more.

But it is interesting to read her early novels and appreciate her development as a writer in the later novels, especially in terms of plotting. ( )
  subabat | Mar 19, 2018 |
Not too bad, but it seems uselessy long: for at least one third of the length the descriptions and the facts are too confused and rarely interesting. The characterization of characters, especially some of them, is not on par with other Cristie's books. At the end a fair mistery, although other works are much better. ( )
  Mlvtrglvn | Jan 5, 2018 |
Another great mystery from my girl Agatha. This one introduces us to Superintendent Battle, a level-headed bloke who isn't easily fooled. I like him quite a bit. You know who else I like? Anthony Cade, good-hearted free-spirit, traveling the globe and helping out damsels in distress. He's great.

You get some great Christie twists in this one. She really was the best. Sit back and enjoy the ride, because she will fool you at every turn, and you get a satisfying ending, as usual. 4 stars ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
I rate Agatha Christie's books against each other. It would be hard not to give them all five stars rated against other writers. This is an early book and full of youthful themes and optimism amidst the murder. Some of her best humor also. ( )
  DeborahDRKralich | Jul 10, 2017 |
First published in 1925, this is Christie's fifth novel, and it hits on all archetypal cylinders once you get past the number of coincidences that take place in the early, table-setting portion of things. If it all strains credulity too much, just chant "Truth is stranger than fiction" a few times and hope to get past it, as it's a really fun outing that introduces a host of memorable characters, some of whom will reappear in a few years in THE SEVEN DIALS MYSTERY. In this one, we have a murder at Chimneys, the country house of a minor royal in England. But it's not just any victim; it's the prince who had previously been slated to take the throne of the fictional Balkan country known as Herzoslovakia. It seems that the royal family there had been deposed some seven years earlier, but the populace has rethought things after a difficult go at democracy and wants to restore the monarchy, but now their royal savior is fast approaching room temperature. Enter our hero, Anthony Cade, who does his own snooping while the official investigators do theirs, as well. All works out well in the end, and the police are not viewed as incompetent here, which is a nice change of pace from a lot of mysteries. There is one gaping plot hole that goes unaddressed, but I won't bring it up here for fear of spoilers. It didn't ruin things for me, but it was something that probably should have been handled differently. But it was overshadowed by the many interesting and likable characters, so I won't harp on it. And despite what many Christie critics say about her cheating by withholding critical information, it is not a fair charge here, and the reader can easily solve the murder along with Mr. Cade. On the other hand, some other plot details that reveal themselves in the end come as a surprise and add to the number of coincidences that we were given at the outset. Again, just roll with it and enjoy this early Christie outing as the fun diversion that it is. ( )
  jimgysin | Jun 19, 2017 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tromp, H.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Punkie
To my nephew
In memory of an inscription at Compton Castle and a day at the zoo
"Gentleman Joe!"

It all began
the day a packet of indiscreet love letters - written by a married lady to a gentleman not her husband - fell into the wrong hands...

It Ended
when the violence of a man's emotions turned a gay and fashionable house party into an unforgettable nightmare of terror and death...

-------------------
This is the story of a beautiful and captivating woman who no man could resist - who learned (nearly too late) that such charm can be fatal.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312979746, Mass Market Paperback)

A bit of adventure and quick cash is all that good-natured drifter Anthony Cade is looking for when he accepts a messenger job from an old friend. It sounds so simple: deliver the provocative memoirs of a recently deceased European count to a London publisher. But the parcel holds ore than scandalous royal secrets. It contains a stash of letters that suggest blackmail--and lead to the murder of a stranger who's been shadowing Anthony's every move. Discovering the dead man's identity means retracing his steps--to the rambling estate of Chimneys where darker secrets, and deadlier threats, await anyone who dares to enter.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:37 -0400)

"Little did Anthony Cade suspect that an errand for a friend would place him at the centre of a deadly conspiracy. Drawn into a web of intruige, he begins to realizes that the simple favour has placed him in serious danger. As events unfold, the combined forces of Scotland Yard and the French S ret? gradually converge on Chimneys, the great country estate that hides an amazing secret..." Back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,599,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible