We The Living by Ayn Rand

We The Living (original 1936; edition 1964)

by Ayn Rand

Member:agbram
Title:We The Living
Authors:Ayn Rand
Info:Signet (1964), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:Fiction, Objectivism,

We the Living by Ayn Rand (1936)

Essays on Ayn Rand's We the Living by Robert Mayhew (mcaution)
    mcaution: A one of a kind collection of scholarly criticisms on Rand's novel dealing not only with its historic perspectives but its philosophic and literary as well.
    Russka by Edward Rutherfurd (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: So you want to know more about the Russia that Rand wrote about? Russka will make you an expert on the country and its people (if you have the patience to finish it).
    Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler (br77rino)
    Progress by Charles Stampul (PeerlessPress)
    Petropolis by Anya Ulinich (starboard)
    starboard: Petropolis concerns a young girl growing up in current day Russia and escaping to attempt to find a better life and her father in America.

English (33)  Catalan (1)  All languages (34)
I adore Ayn Rand, her ideologies and her novels. This is the best. The stage set up for this novel (Russia), how the conditions were and what people had to go through are explained in the best way possible. Kira is a very strong character who holds on to her beliefs and never gives in. I liked Leo in the initial part of the novel but seeing him losing himself by the end of the story, I didn't approve of him. On the other hand, Andrei is very remarkable. I could not stand it to read about his suicide. Irina and Sasha were the two other prominent characters for me in the novel. I noticed that Ayn Rand has very strong opinions, she is kind of rebellious and she shoves the truth into the reader's face hard and fast. What amazes me is her thoughts about love. I literally cried reading the departure of Irina and Sasha to the Siberian prison. It broke my heart. Last but not least, one person fighting against a whole country and not giving in until the last breath is very heroic and the hero of We the Living, Kira lives in my heart forever. I personally have a wonderful imagination (I'm not bragging about it) but when I read the lines written by AR, I see myself watching the whole scene with my very own eyes. That is the best I can put into words about how much I love her narration. Ayn Rand is a true legend! Her characters are very distinct, not like any regular hero, heroine.. even the villain is so remarkable, that you will fall in love with him.

You can also find the review on my blog https://theclippednightingale.wordpress.com/2018/05/19/we-the-living-by-ayn-rand-review/. Follow me for more interesting early reviews, short stories and many random thoughts.

#wetheliving #aynrand #goodreads #librarything #curiosityquills #plumreview #chapters #kindle #amazonkindle #netgalley #barnes&noble #bam #booksamillion #bookreview #ebookreview #bookreviewer #theclippednightingale ( )
  madhupal2486 | May 19, 2018 |
Excerpts from my original GR review (Oct 2009):
- Ayn Rand (Alisa Zinov'yevna Rosenbaum) wrote her first novel as an unabashed indictment of the monstrous, despotic communism taking hold in Petrograd and all of Russia, following the close of the Civil War in the early 1920s. Rand said this was a semi-autobiographical work, "in the intellectual sense."
- The chief protagonist is Kira Argounova, a smart and rabidly individualistic college-age woman, who, with her family, returns home from a long self-exile in the Crimea. What they find is a fearful, paranoid, semi-police state in which privation is the norm. Kira's dream is to become a civil engineer, but as her ambition is blocked by her family's lack of proletariat roots and red credentials, she resorts to desperate measures, and a sordid love triangle, to survive. Though given the choice to unite with the "Proletarians of the World" in good standing, her undying thirst for freedom goes on, as does her wish to "go abroad" in search of liberation.
- This is a very good novel, as a novel of ideas and as a political and social sounding. It is an average novel, in my opinion, as to the writing itself. The numerous characters in the story are relatively well made. However, Rand begins repeating phrases and loses me in some extended dialogue. Her imagination, at times, strikes me as limited.
- Again, it's a first novel written by...a very intelligent voice who would, essentially, invent a philosophy in the years to follow. ( )
  ThoughtPolice | May 3, 2018 |
A window into life in the USSR. This book was was wonderful and utterly depressing at the same time.
  GretchenLynn | May 31, 2017 |
I forgot how sad this story was but I guess there is not much happiness in the lifestyle
  SA_Jane | Feb 18, 2017 |
I didn't love this book but I was glad I read it. The plot was so sad and the characters' lives so bleak that I could only read it during summer, outdoors, on sunny days (it took me a while as a result); but Rand's rich descriptions of daily life in post-Revolution Russia were highly rewarding.
  stevendewitt | Jul 22, 2014 |

Ayn Randprimary authorall editionscalculated
Peikoff, LeonardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Rheenen, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Petrograd smelt of carbolic acid.

We the living depicts the struggle of the individual against the state, the impact of the Russian Revolution on three human beings who demand the right to live their own lives and pursue their own happiness. It tells of a yound woman's passionate love, held like a fortress against the corrupting evil of a totalitarian state.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ayn Rand's legacy profile.

See Ayn Rand's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,919,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible