The Shawl: A Story and Novella by Cynthia…

The Shawl: A Story and Novella (1989)

by Cynthia Ozick

6831920,820 (3.88)49

Terse and harrowing, The Shawl is a dry-mouthed nightmare, interrupted only to discover the droning window unit has went demonic. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
In addition to the title short story, the audio recording I listened to includes the novella Rosa. The Shawl is set in a concentration camp, and Rosa is set in Miami several decades later. The events of The Shawl are difficult to hear, but it's mercifully short. Rosa is a character study of a Holocaust survivor. The narrator's voice had me picturing Rosa as Sophia on The Golden Girls. That's not as odd as it seemed to me at first since the actress who played Sophia, Estelle Getty, was Jewish, not Sicilian like her character! ( )
  cbl_tn | Jul 13, 2018 |
I can't say I loved this book. It was broken and terrible and haunting; I don't know how anyone could live like this. Or maybe they just don't. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
The Shawl actually comprises two stories, "The Shawl" and its sequel, "Rosa". "The Shawl" is very short and is just not the type of writing that appeals to me. "Rosa" was much better (partly because it was much longer and thus more fleshed out all around). Both, though, were filled with metaphor and simile, almost to the point of supersaturation. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Dec 23, 2015 |
Giving this one 4 stars, but I can't really explain why. Not really a book I can put into words, and at times I wasn't too sure about it. I won't say I enjoyed it. It's not a book that can bring joy, but will bring understanding. It's short, it's worth the read, and I think many readers will appreciate the writing like I did, overall. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 15, 2015 |

Ozick, Cynthiaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flothuis, MeaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shmulenson, YelenaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This book contains both the short story The Shawl (first published in the New Yorker in 1980) and its sequel, the novella Rosa (first published in the New Yorker in 1983). Both won first place (separately) in the annual O. Henry Prize Stories collections.

A devastating vision of the Holocaust and the unfillable emptiness it left in the lives of those who passed through it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:07 -0400)

A short story and a novella which, together, tell an exquisitely powerful and moving tale of the Holocaust. Both The Shawl and Rosa won first prize in the O. Henry Prize Stories and were chosen for Best American Short Stories.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,240,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible