The Flower Net by Lisa See

The Flower Net (1997)

by Lisa See

Death of a Red Heroine by Xiaolong Qiu (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These books have a similar setting and time period and will probably appeal to the same readers.
    Peony in Love by Lisa See (leahsimone)

English (10)  Spanish (2)  All languages (12)
'Kay. I almost gave up on this one halfway through. There just wasn't enough going on to draw me to the characters--fair amount of plot, but no personality. But just as I was going to toss it in the pile, there was a little glimmer of something, and I hung on. It got interesting from there, and stayed that way. So it gets 3 stars for being not bad.

I hated, though, that there was absolutely no swearing, except for passages where it seemed the author decided, "Oh. This isn't gritty enough. Maybe I'll insert some F-bombs in this 10-page area." And then it'd be clean again for another 150 pages. Eyeroll. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
It didn't quite grip/engage me as much as the other books I've read by Lisa See (Shanghai Girls and Dreams of Joy). Still, it is a well-written mystery with an intricately woven plot. ( )
  sbsolter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Another good mystery! ( )
  KarenHerndon | Apr 12, 2012 |
This mystery is flawed but it seemed so well-researched and the history so interesting that I did not mind the plot being somewhat far-fetched and the characters not very fleshed out. I do not know a lot about modern China so it was fascinating to me and makes me want to learn more. Occasionally the mystery is too obviously only a vehicle for the history but I didn't really care. This is the first of a trilogy and I'm looking forward to reading the next two. ( )
  sumariotter | Nov 2, 2011 |
I love everything else I've read by Lisa See but I guess murder mysteries aren't really my cup of tea. ( )
  SunflowerRae | Jan 2, 2011 |
For my husband, with love
Wing Yun held tightly to his granddaughter's mittened hand as he guided her in slow rhythmic glides across the frozen expanse of Bei Hai Lake just outside the burnished walls of the Forbidden City.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812978684, Paperback)

"Inspector Liu, do I need to remind you that China has customs and rituals for dealing with guests?" says a top Chinese official to one his police investigators early in Lisa See's tremendously powerful debut thriller. "Remember that all foreigners are potentially dangerous. Don't be tempted to say what you think. Don't show anger or irritation. Be humble and careful and gracious. Draw them in. Let them think they have a connection to you, that they owe you, that they should never cause you any embarrassment. This is how we have treated outsiders for centuries. This is how you will treat this foreigner as long as he is our guest." The fact that the official is her father and the foreigner in question is her former lover, an assistant U.S. attorney named David Stark, makes things much more complicated for Liu Hulan. Hulan is a former Red Princess, one of the privileged children of Chairman Mao's most trusted aides. When two young men (the son of the American ambassador to China and the son of an immensely powerful Chinese businessman with possible criminal connections) are murdered under similar circumstances, Hulan and Stark are cynically manipulated by their respective governments into a joint investigation that exposes the worst of both countries. The situation also gives See a chance to meld her impressive talent for writing fiction with the solid journalism skills that invigorated her family saga On Gold Mountain.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:28 -0400)

A Los Angeles district attorney travels to China to join forces with a Chineses detective to investigate a series of gory high-profile murders.

Lisa See is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,355,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible