Flower Net by Lisa See

Flower Net (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Lisa See (Author)

Member:eudoh
Title:Flower Net
Authors:Lisa See (Author)
Info:HarperCollins Publishers (1998), 465 pages
Tags:UNREAD, fiction, woman author

The Flower Net by Lisa See (1997)

Death of a Red Heroine by Xiaolong Qiu (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These books have a similar setting and time period and will probably appeal to the same readers.
    Peony in Love by Lisa See (leahsimone)

English (12)  Spanish (2)  All languages (14)
The US ambassador's son is found in a frozen lake in Beijing while the corpse of a Red Prince, one of China's political elite is found on a ship bringing illegal immigrants to America. Investigator Liu Hulan who has to prove her worth to male colleagues, works with US attorney David Stark to find out what happened. The title is from the method of fishing by throwing a net in the air to form a "flower net". The best part of See's novel is the depiction of Chinese customs and traditions and the cultural differences with the US. ( )
  VivienneR | Feb 9, 2019 |
I have read, and enjoyed, a few books by Lisa See but this is the first Red Princess book I've read. There was lots of background about China and it's people. The plot was exciting and well written. I will definitely read the next in the series. ( )
  scot2 | Feb 5, 2019 |
'Kay. I almost gave up on this one halfway through. There just wasn't enough going on to draw me to the characters--fair amount of plot, but no personality. But just as I was going to toss it in the pile, there was a little glimmer of something, and I hung on. It got interesting from there, and stayed that way. So it gets 3 stars for being not bad.

I hated, though, that there was absolutely no swearing, except for passages where it seemed the author decided, "Oh. This isn't gritty enough. Maybe I'll insert some F-bombs in this 10-page area." And then it'd be clean again for another 150 pages. Eyeroll. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
It didn't quite grip/engage me as much as the other books I've read by Lisa See (Shanghai Girls and Dreams of Joy). Still, it is a well-written mystery with an intricately woven plot. ( )
  sbsolter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Another good mystery! ( )
  KarenHerndon | Apr 12, 2012 |

Perria LidiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reppert-Bismarck, Leonie vonÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ross, LizaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sund, HaraldPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my husband, with love
Wing Yun held tightly to his granddaughter's mittened hand as he guided her in slow rhythmic glides across the frozen expanse of Bei Hai Lake just outside the burnished walls of the Forbidden City.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812978684, Paperback)

"Inspector Liu, do I need to remind you that China has customs and rituals for dealing with guests?" says a top Chinese official to one his police investigators early in Lisa See's tremendously powerful debut thriller. "Remember that all foreigners are potentially dangerous. Don't be tempted to say what you think. Don't show anger or irritation. Be humble and careful and gracious. Draw them in. Let them think they have a connection to you, that they owe you, that they should never cause you any embarrassment. This is how we have treated outsiders for centuries. This is how you will treat this foreigner as long as he is our guest." The fact that the official is her father and the foreigner in question is her former lover, an assistant U.S. attorney named David Stark, makes things much more complicated for Liu Hulan. Hulan is a former Red Princess, one of the privileged children of Chairman Mao's most trusted aides. When two young men (the son of the American ambassador to China and the son of an immensely powerful Chinese businessman with possible criminal connections) are murdered under similar circumstances, Hulan and Stark are cynically manipulated by their respective governments into a joint investigation that exposes the worst of both countries. The situation also gives See a chance to meld her impressive talent for writing fiction with the solid journalism skills that invigorated her family saga On Gold Mountain.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:31 -0400)

A Los Angeles district attorney travels to China to join forces with a Chineses detective to investigate a series of gory high-profile murders.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,371,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible