Look Me in the Eye: My Life with…

Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's (2007)

by John Elder Robison

English (91)  Italian (1)  All languages (92)
I have had the pleasure of teaching a couple of students with Aspergers, back in my regular ed days. It was a delightful experience. I found this book to be equally delightful. It was funny, sad, and encouraging. I admire Robison's spirit and intelligence and the ability to rise above his circumstances, especially his childhood experiences. I know that Aspergers no longer exists as far as official diagnoses are concerned, but I disagree wholeheartedly. I'm glad Robison shared his experiences, and I hope people continue to read this wonderful book. ( )
  hobbitprincess | May 9, 2015 |
I was much more interested in the author's insights to his Asperger's and the explaniations of his thought processes than his life story. But overall, I really enjoyed the book and would read more from this author and his brother. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
I appreciated this book in ways I could not have imagined. It's one of the most fascinating stories I've read. The author's Asperger's was not diagnosed until he was in his forties. He described growing up thinking that other people were acting in inexplicable ways, when in fact his actions were outside of social norms, because of the autism. Thing is, some of the things he describes about himself sounded like me. I recognized some of my own tendencies. For example, my tendency to assume my actions and beliefs are correct, and anyone who behaves differently must be uninformed. This wonderful book shows how alike people are in fundamental ways. Our differences are a matter of degrees. After you read Look Me in the Eye, you'll be more sympathetic to people. You'll be less likely to judge people who might be acting differently than you expect them to. Instead you'll start wondering what their story really is, what makes them tick. ( )
  dawndowney | Apr 18, 2015 |
Impressive - not that the author can write even though he's an Aspergian, but that he can make us feel so much empathy, and help us learn so much about him, ourselves, and humanity. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I'm not sure how I came about this book a year ago. I found it in my Nook last month and decided it was time to give it a read. Much to my delight, the foreword was written by my favorite memoir-ist Augusten Burroughs who describes that his brother, John Elder, wrote his very own memoir! This made me very excited because here I knew I could find a few details filled in from the other novels Burroughs had written.

Robison did not disappoint. He did fill in a few details but more surprising was the natural voice he has for writing. I enjoyed his style of story telling - it made sense in my brain, the order with which he described details of his life. Pages were dedicated to his life with cars then immediately followed by pages describing his pranks, both spanning very different timelines but it gave the feel of a storytelling around the campfire. Unlike many, I was not unaware of Asperger's, thanks to my watching of Degrassi back once upon a time. It was gratifying to know that how I had associated Aspergers in my mind had correlated to real life experiences, for the most part. Robison is correct when he says he is lucky to have figured out how to adjust to the world - his life could have been very different had he not harnessed his natural talents and applied them to situations he knew he could conquer.

Robison followed a very interesting, and mostly satisfying, life. Life on the road with big bands like KISS, working with Milton Bradley, etc. But his personal story of a life-long evolution is the most interesting piece and I highly recommend this novel if you love a good memoir. ( )
  QueenAlyss | Mar 5, 2015 |
Since learning about Asperger's, I have read just about every personal account I can find with regard to Asperger's. While I found all of them interesting, I can't think of one that I would have called warm or engaging - until I read John Elder Robison's memoir Look Me In The Eye: My Life With Asperger's. ...Mr. Robison tells a story that is at once heartbreaking, inspiring and funny....Mr. Robison's life is a testament to the fact that a life with Asperger's can be as rich as anyone else's - despite the challenges.

John Elder Robisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burroughs, AugustenForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother, who encouraged me to write the story, and most especially for Unit Two and Cubby
"Look me in the eye, young man!"

John Robison recounts his struggles to fit in and communicate with others as he grew up, describing why he had so many problems relating to others and why he often turned to machines for comfort, rather than people, and explains how his life was changed when he was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome at age forty.

New York Times Bestseller

“As sweet and funny and sad and true and heartfelt a memoir as one could find.”
—from the foreword by Augusten Burroughs

Ever since he was young, John Robison longed to connect with other people, but by the time he was a teenager, his odd habits—an inclination to blurt out non sequiturs, avoid eye contact, dismantle radios, and dig five-foot holes (and stick his younger brother, Augusten Burroughs, in them)—had earned him the label “social deviant.” It was not until he was forty that he was diagnosed with a form of autism called Asperger’s syndrome. That understanding transformed the way he saw himself—and the world. A born storyteller, Robison has written a moving, darkly funny memoir about a life that has taken him from developing exploding guitars for KISS to building a family of his own. It’s a strange, sly, indelible account—sometimes alien yet always deeply human.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:38 -0400)

Memoir of John Robison whose odd behavior was explained when he was diagnosed with a form of autism called Asperger's syndrome when he was forty and the change that made in his life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,161,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible