Look Me in the Eye: My Life with…

Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's (original 2007; edition 2007)

by John Elder Robison

Member:RobinBrz
Title:Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's
Authors:John Elder Robison
Info:Crown (2007), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Recently Read
Rating:***1/2

Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's by John Elder Robison (2007)

English (100)  Italian (1)  English (101)
I finished this book last week. At first I wasn't sure I'd like the book, b/c I wasn't sure I liked the author! He described a lot of what I considered to be mean spirited pranks he'd play on people, including on his little brother- who was going through his own trials and tribulations. . .Then as I read on I got to truly appreciate and admire this remarkable man. He tells a great story, honestly sharing his struggles and joys. I was relieved in many parts of the book, to learn that he was able to rise to such successes, given all the obstacles he had to face.

I think this book could be very encouraging to readers w/AS.. but it could also be perhaps discouraging too.. as the author is a high functioning Aspie, brilliant, successful, married w/a kid.. I know many people w/AS may feel that this level of functioning is unattainable for them.. There are countless Aspies who can't even make friends never mind finding a mate, who long for gainful employment but can't hold even a simple job. So my hope is that it is not discouraging to the wonderful eccentrics out there who can't attain the same level as Robison. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
Written by the brother of Augusten Burroughs (Running with Scissors). A view of Asperger's from 'the inside' - while a frustrating syndrome to have, it was also one that enabled the author to live a pretty interesting life (I want to have a foundry in my garage). ( )
  youkosiren | Aug 22, 2016 |
Enjoyed the heck out of this book. Not a polished literary read so much as colletion of great memories and incredibly painful ones. Aspergers Syndrome and rock and roll! Good deal!
  newnoz | Aug 6, 2016 |
Impressive - not that the author can write even though he's an Aspergian, but that he can make us feel so much empathy, and help us learn so much about him, ourselves, and humanity. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger’s – John Elder Robison
3stars
There are so many things to say about this memoir. It’s fascinating, sad, funny, poignant, weird and educational. John Robison is the older brother of Austen Burroughs, the author of Running with Scissors. This book gives another perspective on the effects of growing up in a very dysfunctional family. It is also the story of growing up with undiagnosed Asperger Syndrome. It’s a survival story with many dark moments that are told in such a matter of fact tone that it’s hard to discern fact from fiction. Is he exaggerating? Is he trying to be funny? Is he playing as huge a prank on the reader as he played on his hated biology teacher?
I think he is also a talented writer and a gifted story teller. As a reader, my need to try to figure it out mirrored Robison's experience of trying to figure out the rest of the world from an Asperger perspective.
It’s good to have his perspective, and as an educator I appreciated the resource section at the end of the book. Hopefully, teachers today can do a better job with such exceptional kids than in the past.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Since learning about Asperger's, I have read just about every personal account I can find with regard to Asperger's. While I found all of them interesting, I can't think of one that I would have called warm or engaging - until I read John Elder Robison's memoir Look Me In The Eye: My Life With Asperger's. ...Mr. Robison tells a story that is at once heartbreaking, inspiring and funny....Mr. Robison's life is a testament to the fact that a life with Asperger's can be as rich as anyone else's - despite the challenges.

John Elder Robisonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burroughs, AugustenForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother, who encouraged me to write the story, and most especially for Unit Two and Cubby
"Look me in the eye, young man!"

John Robison recounts his struggles to fit in and communicate with others as he grew up, describing why he had so many problems relating to others and why he often turned to machines for comfort, rather than people, and explains how his life was changed when he was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome at age forty.

New York Times Bestseller

“As sweet and funny and sad and true and heartfelt a memoir as one could find.”
—from the foreword by Augusten Burroughs

Ever since he was young, John Robison longed to connect with other people, but by the time he was a teenager, his odd habits—an inclination to blurt out non sequiturs, avoid eye contact, dismantle radios, and dig five-foot holes (and stick his younger brother, Augusten Burroughs, in them)—had earned him the label “social deviant.” It was not until he was forty that he was diagnosed with a form of autism called Asperger’s syndrome. That understanding transformed the way he saw himself—and the world. A born storyteller, Robison has written a moving, darkly funny memoir about a life that has taken him from developing exploding guitars for KISS to building a family of his own. It’s a strange, sly, indelible account—sometimes alien yet always deeply human.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:04 -0400)

Memoir of John Robison whose odd behavior was explained when he was diagnosed with a form of autism called Asperger's syndrome when he was forty and the change that made in his life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,634,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible