Look Me in the Eye: My Life with…

Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's (original 2007; edition 2007)

by John Elder Robison

Member:RobinBrz
Title:Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's
Authors:John Elder Robison
Info:Crown (2007), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Recently Read
Rating:***1/2

Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's by John Elder Robison (2007)

English (99)  Italian (1)  All languages (100)
Written by the brother of Augusten Burroughs (Running with Scissors). A view of Asperger's from 'the inside' - while a frustrating syndrome to have, it was also one that enabled the author to live a pretty interesting life (I want to have a foundry in my garage). ( )
  youkosiren | Aug 22, 2016 |
Enjoyed the heck out of this book. Not a polished literary read so much as colletion of great memories and incredibly painful ones. Aspergers Syndrome and rock and roll! Good deal!
  newnoz | Aug 6, 2016 |
Impressive - not that the author can write even though he's an Aspergian, but that he can make us feel so much empathy, and help us learn so much about him, ourselves, and humanity. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger’s – John Elder Robison
3stars
There are so many things to say about this memoir. It’s fascinating, sad, funny, poignant, weird and educational. John Robison is the older brother of Austen Burroughs, the author of Running with Scissors. This book gives another perspective on the effects of growing up in a very dysfunctional family. It is also the story of growing up with undiagnosed Asperger Syndrome. It’s a survival story with many dark moments that are told in such a matter of fact tone that it’s hard to discern fact from fiction. Is he exaggerating? Is he trying to be funny? Is he playing as huge a prank on the reader as he played on his hated biology teacher?
I think he is also a talented writer and a gifted story teller. As a reader, my need to try to figure it out mirrored Robison's experience of trying to figure out the rest of the world from an Asperger perspective.
It’s good to have his perspective, and as an educator I appreciated the resource section at the end of the book. Hopefully, teachers today can do a better job with such exceptional kids than in the past.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
John Elder Robison is eight years older than his brother Augusten Burroughs, but it was from Burroughs's 2002 Running with Scissors that the world first learned of the extraordinarily troubled family in which the brothers were brought up. Encouraged by Burroughs to share his own memories of being raised by an alcoholic father and a mentally unstable mother, Robison did so in 2008 with Look Me in the Eye, a memoir in which he gives an insider's account of what it is like to suffer from a form of autism called Asperger's syndrome.

Robison was already forty years old by the time he learned that he was, as he puts it, an Aspergian. Common symptoms of the syndrome include the inability to look someone in the eye when speaking to them, being unable to participate in a conversation at all if anything else catches their attention while they are speaking, non-appropriate facial expressions or body language in social situations, failure to develop peer relationships with other children, and occasional “rare gifts” like “truly extraordinary insight into complex problems.” Robison was somewhat shocked to learn that there were other people out there like him – so many of them, in fact, that the rest of the world even had a name for them.

John Robinson, from the time he was a child, liked other children and badly wanted to be part of the gang. But rather than being made a part of any neighborhood gang, Robinson most often found himself on the outside looking in, always the last to be chosen for team sports and games - if chosen at all. Unable to respond socially appropriately when given half a chance to become part of the action, he made other children so uneasy that they wanted nothing to do with him. Robison, though, is one of the luckier Aspergians, and has the kind of offsetting talents that others of us can only dream about. Not only was he the developer of the exploding, laser-firing guitars that helped to make the band KISS famous, he was instrumental in the production of the early electronic game modules that made Milton Bradley for a time the most recognizable toy company name to children all over the world.

Look Me in the Eye is fascinating because of the insights offered into an autism variation that until recent years has drawn little attention. What makes the book truly exceptional, however, is that these insights are coming from someone who has experienced the syndrome first hand, a man with a surprising storytelling ability and a well-defined sense of humor that contribute one memorable and entertaining story after another. I found myself telling some of Robison's stories to friends even before I finished reading the entire book because I was anxious to recommend it to others as quickly as I could. Look Me in the Eye is simply not to be missed.

(Review Copy provided by Publisher) ( )
  SamSattler | May 15, 2016 |
Since learning about Asperger's, I have read just about every personal account I can find with regard to Asperger's. While I found all of them interesting, I can't think of one that I would have called warm or engaging - until I read John Elder Robison's memoir Look Me In The Eye: My Life With Asperger's. ...Mr. Robison tells a story that is at once heartbreaking, inspiring and funny....Mr. Robison's life is a testament to the fact that a life with Asperger's can be as rich as anyone else's - despite the challenges.

John Elder Robisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burroughs, AugustenForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my brother, who encouraged me to write the story, and most especially for Unit Two and Cubby
"Look me in the eye, young man!"

John Robison recounts his struggles to fit in and communicate with others as he grew up, describing why he had so many problems relating to others and why he often turned to machines for comfort, rather than people, and explains how his life was changed when he was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome at age forty.

New York Times Bestseller

“As sweet and funny and sad and true and heartfelt a memoir as one could find.”
—from the foreword by Augusten Burroughs

Ever since he was young, John Robison longed to connect with other people, but by the time he was a teenager, his odd habits—an inclination to blurt out non sequiturs, avoid eye contact, dismantle radios, and dig five-foot holes (and stick his younger brother, Augusten Burroughs, in them)—had earned him the label “social deviant.” It was not until he was forty that he was diagnosed with a form of autism called Asperger’s syndrome. That understanding transformed the way he saw himself—and the world. A born storyteller, Robison has written a moving, darkly funny memoir about a life that has taken him from developing exploding guitars for KISS to building a family of his own. It’s a strange, sly, indelible account—sometimes alien yet always deeply human.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:04 -0400)

Memoir of John Robison whose odd behavior was explained when he was diagnosed with a form of autism called Asperger's syndrome when he was forty and the change that made in his life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,500,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible