The Necessary Hunger by Nina Revoyr

The Necessary Hunger

by Nina Revoyr

Slow, but engaging. The story of a Japanese-American high-school basketball player who lives in a black neighborhood in L.A. in the late 1980s, it offers thoughtful reflections on racial and class dynamics that I've rarely come across in fiction. (Because #WeNeedDiverseBooks.)
  csoki637 | Nov 27, 2016 |
This is one of the best books I've ever read. I read it several years ago and it has stuck with me all these years. I read it again and found it just as powerful. There are so many interesting things about this novel--it completely captures the experience of unrequited love, the characters are so well-drawn that you come to know not just the main characters but even minor characters. This novel has a powerful sense of place. It is clear that Nina Revoyr loves Los Angeles, and she is writing about a world she knows and loves. The novel sensitively covers all kinds of issues without seeming like an "issues" novel. The pace is slow and deliberate--and yet somehow creates emotional suspense. This novel broke my heart, but in a good way. ( )
  sumariotter | Nov 2, 2011 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312181426, Paperback)

Nancy Takahiro is a star high school basketball player who is smitten by a new player, Raina Webber. When Nancy's father falls in love with Raina's mother and the families move in together, Nancy's love for Raina becomes positively excruciating. This novel grapples not only with the awkwardness of adolescent love, but also with race: Nancy is Asian American, Raina is African American. And if that's not enough, it's full of information on college sport recruiting techniques.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:16 -0400)

The rivalry and love of two high school girls playing basketball in Los Angeles. One is a shy Japanese-American, the other an aggressive African-American, and both are lesbian. Their relationship receives a new twist when the mother of the African-American moves in with the father of the Japanese-American and the girls begin living under one roof. A first novel.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Nina Revoyr's book The Necessary Hunger is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,610,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible