Silver Palate Cookbook by Julee Rosso

Silver Palate Cookbook (original 1982; edition 1992)

by Julee Rosso

Member:varielle
Title:Silver Palate Cookbook
Authors:Julee Rosso
Info:Workman Pub Co (1992), Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:Cooking

The Silver Palate Cookbook by Julee Rosso (1982)

Recently added bybarbyoung, allriledup, sojusunday, shelswift, adambravo, private library, kringola, Mommyk8, TeriHuff

Fabulous. The first book to use spices with abandon, as if we weren't counting the peppercorns before we went to bed. Rich, luscious, changed the way I think about food. Incredibly well-tested.
  donnawolfe | Feb 21, 2016 |
This is not a new cookbook, but there is a reason why it is has remained popular since it first appeared in 1982. As far as I’m concerned, the main reason is the cakes. Yes, the ratatouille is wonderful, and the Tarte Saint-Germain is delicious, but who offers cake recipes like this in these calorie conscious times? That is to say, it does not exactly seem like you could eat a lot of their cakes without showing some effects, but if you just exercise self-control (ha ha, a little humor there) you won’t regret it!

For example, ordinarily, I wouldn’t pick banana cake out of a pile of cake. But their banana cake is moist and lush and covered in scrumptious cream cheese frosting. The same frosting goes on their carrot cake, which is the best I’ve ever had, even though I omit two of the ingredients, coconut and pineapple. (You can easily find the recipe from the cookbook for this popular cake online, such as at this site. And by the way, it calls for pureed carrots. As if I would use, and therefore have to wash, the food processor. I buy baby food carrots. That counts as pureed, right?)

Most of the recipes are accompanied by something extra: a color photo, a suggested menu, or a quote (“...I had but one penny in the world, thou shouldst have it to buy gingerbread” from William Shakespeare’s “Love’s Labor’s Lost” and my sentiments exactly. Well, maybe not the sharing part, but definitely the gingerbread part.) There are also intermittent sections with background information about food, such as an explanation of the different kinds of olive oil, or a review of the differences among various mushrooms or salad greens. Occasionally there are anecdotes by the authors about a recipe or advice on cooking techniques, such as cooking bacon or making the perfect omelet.

Evaluation: There is a wealth of information in this colorful cookbook, and everything I have tried in it has been outstanding. ( )
  nbmars | Feb 22, 2015 |
Lovely little cookbook, written by the friend of a friend, and given to me by another friend. I've used many recipes from this one, but particularly liked the chicken marabella (which sounds bettern than chicken with prunes), which was easy to prepare when serving large groups. Most memorable dinner was out at Sunset Beach, NC at a beach house there for 10 of us.

Packing away now as we declutter the house, preparing to put it on the market. ( )
  bookczuk | May 9, 2013 |
Fantastic recipes and I loved the information sidebars everywhere. Probably not the healthiest food in the world, special occasion for the most part, but especially the dessert section was wonderful. ( )
  E.J | Apr 3, 2013 |
Oh, the eighties. What marvelous, ridiculous foodie ideas you had. *sigh* Back when capers were an adventure.

That said, this is the first place I encountered the idea of using aluminum foil instead of parchment paper for cooking en papillote, and I will never not be grateful for that. ( )
  cricketbats | Mar 30, 2013 |

Rosso, Juleeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lukins, Sheilamain authorall editionsconfirmed
McLaughlin, Michaelmain authorall editionsconfirmed
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star. - Brillat-Savarin, 1838
Molly, Annabel, Richard, June and Frank Who have always been there for us - We love you very much
Preface:  We agree-food has long been our passion.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0894802046, Paperback)

First published in 1982, The Silver Palate Cookbook was an instant smash. It offered 350 stylish but easy recipes that reflected and helped cement America's burgeoning interest in quality cooking. It acquainted cooks with "gourmet" ingredients, just beginning to appear in our markets. And it helped many a host to shine.

The collection, whose recipes range from hors d'oeuvres to sweets, now arrives in a 25th-anniversary edition, which reproduces the original text and adds color photos throughout, often dropped into the text pages. All the old favorites, including Marinated Eggplant Livia, Chicken Marbella, Blanquette de Vaeu, and Blackberry Mousse are present, along with information about ingredients, menus, quotes, and other asides--all the things that help make the book such a pleasure. It's hard to imagine a cook--and especially one who entertains--not owning Silver Palate. This printing, which includes a retrospective foreword, offers more satisfaction still while reiterating the reasons for the book's enduring appeal. --Arthur Boehm

Amazon.com Exclusive: A Brief History of The Silver Palate Cookbook by Sheila Lukins
Twenty five years ago seems like the distant past but we still make ratatouille the same way and who would have ever dreamed that so many people would say to us, "I had Chicken Marbella at a dinner party last week and I just loved it." It took slight madness to open our little store in 1977. Florence Fabricant was writing an article on the renaissance of Columbus Avenue, where our shop was opening, we needed a name, she was on a deadline and called and said, "What are you calling your store?" We didn't know. "Why don't you call it The Silver Palate," she said. We loved it. It took sheer bravery in 1982 to write our book--who would need to buy food in our store any longer once they had all of our recipes? But that never happened for one hour. In fact, it helped us go national even further. Here we are, 25 years later, celebrating with a brand new edition of our book that finally highlights our recipes with vibrant color photographs. I once picked up the phone and someone on the other end said, "Sheila, I just baked the Decadent Chocolate Cake and my cake doesn't look like the drawing." I didn't know how to reply. I assured them the taste made up for the looks. It's bittersweet, but those problems are solved forever. While different, the color adds an exciting new dimension to the cookbook that has been a treasure to so many cooks for two and a half decades. Julee and I had a fantasy food partnership and the publication of this book has given us the opportunity to spend some wonderful time together.

Continue Reading A Brief History of The Silver Palate Cookbook

A Springtime Menu for Amazon.com
When the weather warms us up, there is no more welcome beginning to a meal that a light swirl of noodles tangled up with crisp spring vegetables. Follow this amusing starter with a succulent roast leg of lamb, the meat we all long for in the spring. Serve our Swiss Gratin Potatoes and some haricots verts alongside. A delightful finale to this springtime luncheon is a moist carrot cake with cream cheese frosting or a delicate strawberry mousse. --Sheila Lukins and Julee Rosso Miller

Pasta Primavera Gregory

Roast Lamb with Peppercorn Crust

Carrot Cake

Strawberry Mousse

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:36 -0400)

Provides recipes for appetizers, soups, pasta, main dishes, vegetables, salads, breads, and desserts, and includes tips on planning menus and entertaining.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,166,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible