The Great Snape Debate : The Case for Snapes…

The Great Snape Debate : The Case for Snapes Guilt / Innocence (2007)

by Amy Berner (Contributor), Orson Scott Card (Contributor), Joyce Millman (Contributor)

The Orson Scott Card essay is thoughtful and well worth reading. ( )
  muumi | Oct 31, 2014 |
Note that this is a Borders exclusive, so buy your copy now if you're at all interested. It's enjoyable enough, but not a work for the ages. There's a snappy tone throughout that's meant to be hip but is quite off-putting. This includes numerous transient pop-culture references and little boxed riffs that don't contribute to the discussion and seem very out of place.

Like all Harry Potter exegesis, it's fun, particularly since the authors use many of the same data to support both Snape's innocence and his evil. However, their hearts aren't really on the side of "evil," which is a shorter section with more unsupported generalizations. Orson Scott Card's section is the best written and most interesting, and addresses the Snape question by appealing to literary conventions.

Two nitpicks:
1. This is not, as it claims, a "flipbook." A flipbook uses a series of similar static images to provide the illusion of motion hen flipped. This is a "double" or "double title," a format used by ACE and other publishers to offer two novellas in the same binding in the heyday of science fiction.

2. If you're going to quote and cite, give a reference page or at least footnotes.
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |
Amy Berner did a good job in collecting evidence and presenting it in an objectionable fashion about Severus Snape's loyalties. ( )
  06nwingert | Apr 3, 2009 |
Well, the first essay on each side was what I was after, but the others were not really worth reading. I finished the book not knowing whether Snape was good or bad, so I think each side did it's job pretty well. ( )
  janeycanuck | Sep 2, 2007 |

Berner, AmyContributorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Card, Orson ScottContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Millman, JoyceContributormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Is a commentary on the text of

Love him or love to hate him, Snape has become the pivotal character in the Harry Potter series. There are plenty of reasons to believe he killed Dumbledore at the end of Half-Blood Prince at Dumbledore's behest -- but plenty of reasons not to, too. So is Snape on Harry's side, or is he on Voldemort's? Is he bad to the bone, or just a little misunderstood? Only after Deathly Hallows will we know for sure . . . but we can make some educated guesses now. Designed as a flip book, half the book provides the case for Snape's innocence and when flipped over, the other half provides the case for Snape's Guilt. In The Great Snape Debate, you'll get all the facts on our favorite Potions Master so you can decide for yourself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:22 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,585,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible