Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina

Caps for Sale (1940)

by Esphyr Slobodkina

3,809961,361 (4.15)1 / 24

A cap salesman was selling his caps and decided he would take a nap in the countryside. When he woke up he realized that he was missing all of his caps. His caps were stolen by some monkeys who were sitting in the nearby tree. He ordered the monkeys to give him back his caps. The caps salesman threw down his own cap in frustration and the monkeys then threw back down all of the caps. The peddler walked away and continued his walk through the town in attempts to sell his caps.
This is a classic book for young children. They will see a lot of repetition and imitation between the peddler and the monkeys. There is a large use of patterns and colors throughout the story as well. Children will love to see what antics the monkeys cause with the peddler. I feel that most children would not pick this book over others though. With this book being published in 1987, children will be more interested in more current literature. The author did a good job of using simple text for children to portray his message.
The author's central message is to persevere through difficult times as a salesman, and in more general terms just life in general. The peddler had to persevere and find a way to get his caps back in order to get back to selling them to the town. ( )
  mwade4 | Sep 16, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is a good book. One of the main reasons I liked this book was because of the language used throughout the story. The author used repetition frequently; whether it be describing the sequential order of the caps on the peddlers head or when he was attempting to outwit the monkeys to get his caps back, it was an integral element of this story. When he was trying to get his caps back, the peddler says to the monkeys, “You monkeys you", "you give me back my caps." Each time he said this he followed by either shaking his finger to stamping his foot, to which the monkeys mimicked his actions. Finally, the peddler throws his own cap on the ground and the monkeys do the same! I thought that the repetition was really useful because it gave the book a predictable and entertaining pattern that all readers can enjoy. I also enjoyed the plot of this story with how it was organized. The story started and ended the same way, with a conflict in the middle. I thought how the repetitions and patterns aided in unfolding the conflict were really funny and engaging. The illustrations were also another reason I liked this book. The colors were very rich and vibrant and had a reoccurring color scheme of red, green, blue, black, brown, and white. I think this reinforced the repetition present throughout this book and enhanced the story’s pace by helping it progress. The big idea of this book is that one must be persistent with their efforts to overcome a conflict and show the desired results explicitly if one wants to prevail. ( )
  sarabeck | Apr 1, 2014 |
Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys, and Their Monkey Business
By Esphyr Slobodkina (1987)

I liked Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys, and Their Monkey Business by Esphyr Slobodkina for three reasons. First, I liked the actions displayed by the monkeys. Specifically, the monkeys steal the peddler’s hats, and mimic his every action; for example, the peddler shakes his finger, and the monkeys shake their fingers back at him. Therefore, the monkeys are quite amusing. Second, I liked the photos in the book. The photos have a reoccurring color scheme. For instance, all of the photos have the same shades of red, green, blue, brown, black, and white. I think this is a nice quality because it helps the story flow well. Lastly, I liked the sequencing that occurs within the book. In detail, the hats are always on the peddler’s head in the same order: his cap, followed by gray caps, brown caps, blue caps, and red caps. Thus, readers are introduced to the idea of patterns and arrangement. Overall, the “big idea” of Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys, and Their Monkey Business is to emphasize the difficulty the peddler experienced when trying to reason with the monkeys. ( )
  Mdierd1 | Mar 30, 2014 |
I liked this book for many reasons. One reason I liked this story was because of the language that was used. The author used repetition when describing the peddler's attempt to get his caps back. He says to them, "You monkeys you", "you give me back my caps." Each time he says this he follows by either shaking his fingers or stomping his feet. The monkey's respond by copying the peddler's motions, and either shake their fingers back at him or stomp their feet. I really enjoyed this repetition because it added a pattern to the story and made it possible to predict what the man would say and how the monkeys would respond. When the peddler angrily throws his cap on the ground and begins to walk away, the monkeys continue to repeat after him and throw the caps on the ground as well. This use of repetition and pattern allowed the reader to predict what would happen and how the man would resolve the issue. I also liked that the author incorporated humor into the story. I found it rather funny that the man simply went back to what he had been doing at the beginning of the story after collecting all of the caps from the ground. It was as if nothing had happened and he went about his day as he had been earlier, trying to sell his caps. Another thing that I really liked about this story was the plot. I like that the story ends the same way that it begins, but also includes a conflict in the middle. The use of repetition and patterns as the conflict unfolded made the plot fun and engaging, because the reader is able to easily make predictions. I also thought that the author made the story easy to follow and understand by reconnecting the peddler's actions after the conflict with his actions at the beginning of the story; before he had faced the problem with the monkeys. Another thing that I liked about this story were the illustrations. I thought that the author used very rich, bright colors that kept the story interesting and helped keep me engaged. I also liked that the illustrations added to the simplicity and warmth of the story by sticking to the same color scheme by using the same shades of orange, red, green, and blue. The illustrations also enhance the story by depicting what is being described in the text. For example, when the peddler shouts at the monkeys and stomps his foot, the illustration portrays him with his foot kicked back as he is stomping. I believe that the overall message of this story is that one will often get their desired results by having self control, being persistent, being patient, and by showing what they want rather than being impatient and simply telling. ( )
  kbarge1 | Mar 24, 2014 |
Caps for Sale is a fun story about a hat peddler who has all his hats stolen by a group of monkeys. The monkeys hide in a tree with the caps while the peddler yells at them. They won't give the hats back. Finally the peddler gets angry and throws his one remaining hat down. The monkeys copy him and he gets all his hats back. Children will enjoy the repetition and the comedy in the story. ( )
  aleader | Mar 20, 2014 |
To Rosalind and Emmy Jean,
and to their grandfather
who loved to read to them
Once there was a peddler who sold caps.
But the monkeys only shook their finders back at him and said, Tsz, tsz, tsz.
So the peddler picked up his caps and put them back on this head-- first his own checked cap, then the gray caps, then the brown caps, then the blue caps, and then the read caps on the very top.

A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business is a concise story about a peddler who sells caps. Interestingly, he wears all the caps on his head. Tired from traveling, the peddler decides to take a nap. When he wakes up, he finds that all his caps are missing-- only to discover that monkeys are wearing them! This is a hilarious book that young children will enjoy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064431436, Paperback)

Subtitled A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business, this absurd and very simple story has become a classic, selling hundreds of thousands of copies since its first publication in 1940. A peddler walks around selling caps from a tall, tottering pile on his head. Unable to sell a single cap one morning, he walks out into the countryside, sits down under a tree, checks that all the caps are in place, and falls asleep. When he wakes up, the caps are gone--and the tree is full of cap-wearing monkeys. His attempts to get the caps back generate the kind of repetitive rhythm that 3- and 4-year-olds will adore. (Preschool and older) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:47 -0400)

A band of mischievous monkeys steals every one of a peddler's caps while he takes a nap under a tree.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,888,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible