Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some…

Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business (original 1940; edition 1987)

4,1681071,203 (4.16)1 / 27
Member:msbhaven
Title:Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business
Authors:
Info:HarperTrophy (1987), Paperback, 48 pages
Tags:Kid In Me

Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina (1940)

English (105)  Spanish (1)  All languages (106)
I also remember Captain Kangaroo reading this book and the Mike Mulligan book. I've read it to my kids. I dont know why it holds a special place in my heart. I always thought all the monkeys throwing their hats down was hilarious. ( )
  Koren56 | Feb 4, 2016 |
Kids books like this aren't exactly plot heavy, but they're fun. I remember my kindergarten class putting on a play variant of the book (sort of). Fun times. ( )
  Michael_Rose | Jan 10, 2016 |
This picture book is about a man selling caps. He wears all the caps on his head while walking around yelling, "caps for sale!" When nobody buys any caps, he got tired and decided to take a nap behind a tree. When he awoke, all of his hats were gone. He spends the rest of the book finding his caps. The illustrations are simple and very colorful. The text was on one page of the book and the picture on the other. The text has a large amount of words on the page and is easily read. The author uses repetition throughout the book. The book is very literal and easy to understand for children. It has a funny concept. A teacher can use this book as a fun reading time book for large group or simply for play time. ( )
  sherr3084796 | Dec 3, 2015 |
CAPS FOR SALE is a classic little children's picture book that I remember being one of my favorites as a child. The story is about a peddler who walks around selling caps stacked high on his head. One day, the peddler isn't able to make a single sale so he decides to take a nap under a tree. After sleeping for a long time, he awakes to find that all of the caps are gone except for his own. To his dismay, he looks up into the tree branches to see a band of monkeys, each wearing on of his caps. After several attempts to get the hats back, the peddler throws his hat to the ground in frustration - and the monkeys do the same. I love this story and think it is a timeless classic that kids of all ages could enjoy. The language is somewhat old-fashioned, but I don't see this is a problem. Rather, it is an opportunity to help children expand their vocabularies and understandings of words. I enjoy the illustrations because they are colorful and simple. This book would be a great resource to use in the classroom for several reasons. It can help students with learning colors and counting, and would be a blast to read aloud thanks to its repetitive, predictable nature. I think this would also be a fun story to have students act out. ( )
  mmiller28 | Dec 2, 2015 |
This story is very simple but can still definitely be enjoyed by kids. I think the kids love the mischievous monkeys the most.
  jfala001 | Nov 30, 2015 |
To Rosalind and Emmy Jean,
and to their grandfather
who loved to read to them
Once there was a peddler who sold caps.
But the monkeys only shook their finders back at him and said, Tsz, tsz, tsz.
So the peddler picked up his caps and put them back on this head-- first his own checked cap, then the gray caps, then the brown caps, then the blue caps, and then the read caps on the very top.

A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business is a concise story about a peddler who sells caps. Interestingly, he wears all the caps on his head. Tired from traveling, the peddler decides to take a nap. When he wakes up, he finds that all his caps are missing-- only to discover that monkeys are wearing them! This is a hilarious book that young children will enjoy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064431436, Paperback)

Subtitled A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business, this absurd and very simple story has become a classic, selling hundreds of thousands of copies since its first publication in 1940. A peddler walks around selling caps from a tall, tottering pile on his head. Unable to sell a single cap one morning, he walks out into the countryside, sits down under a tree, checks that all the caps are in place, and falls asleep. When he wakes up, the caps are gone--and the tree is full of cap-wearing monkeys. His attempts to get the caps back generate the kind of repetitive rhythm that 3- and 4-year-olds will adore. (Preschool and older) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:41 -0400)

A band of mischievous monkeys steals every one of a peddler's caps while he takes a nap under a tree.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,156,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible