Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some…

Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business (original 1940; edition 1987)

4,0781031,246 (4.16)1 / 26
Title:Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business
Info:HarperTrophy (1987), Paperback, 48 pages
Tags:Kid In Me

Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina (1940)

Recently added byangiestahl, YoselinM, TheIndigoQuill, OakMountain, VNava, private library, ItoLina, DLRE, shaunaph

20 months - we read this one a month ago and I thought... ok not a bad book but you keep talking about this book. "caps for sale" when you stack things up or just out of the blue. And "a monkey says tsk tsk tsk" is another favorite. I think we will have to buy this book! FYI the board book version which I picked up at Goodwill for $1 is an abridged version. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
This story is one that I remember from my childhood. Even today I still really enjoyed reading it, it brought back so many flashbacks to the stories I read as a child and I can see my future students really enjoying it as well.
  ninaberger | Oct 7, 2015 |
Summary: The story of a peddler who sells caps in his hat for a living. One day the peddler can't sell one cap in the morning and decides to go sit beneath a tree and count them all. He wakes up to find all his caps gone. The tree that he is under has cap-wearing-monkeys now. He spends the rest of the book trying to redeem himself and get his caps back in a funny way,

Personal reflection: I liked this book because it teaches character concepts like working hard and being responsible. I also liked reading the spanish version of this book because it was a nice change. I could use this book for bilingual classrooms or dual language classrooms.

Class use: Text set for working hard. Read aloud and have the students explain ways the peddler could have avoided getting all his caps stolen by monkeys. It also teaches concepts like the economy because the peddler has to sell caps. Use to teach simple money concepts for younger ages.
  MelissaKlatt | Apr 28, 2015 |
Just one of those classics that's perfect the way it is. It does seem kind of old-fashioned at first, but timeless is a beter pov. Hilarious fable. I've read it many times - the date is a guess as to the most recent time with my youngest. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
This fantasy book tells the story of a man who sells different colored caps for fifty cents each. He carries all the hats on his head, because he stood very straight and balanced them all. One morning, he was not selling much, and he decided to take a walk in the country. He then decided to rest against a big tree, and slept for a while. When he woke up, he found that all his caps were missing, except his own cap. He finds that the monkeys in the tree are wearing the caps, and it takes a long time for the monkeys to finally give him the caps back. And the peddler goes back to selling them.
  jresner | Mar 17, 2015 |
To Rosalind and Emmy Jean,
and to their grandfather
who loved to read to them
Once there was a peddler who sold caps.
But the monkeys only shook their finders back at him and said, Tsz, tsz, tsz.
So the peddler picked up his caps and put them back on this head-- first his own checked cap, then the gray caps, then the brown caps, then the blue caps, and then the read caps on the very top.

A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business is a concise story about a peddler who sells caps. Interestingly, he wears all the caps on his head. Tired from traveling, the peddler decides to take a nap. When he wakes up, he finds that all his caps are missing-- only to discover that monkeys are wearing them! This is a hilarious book that young children will enjoy.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064431436, Paperback)

Subtitled A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business, this absurd and very simple story has become a classic, selling hundreds of thousands of copies since its first publication in 1940. A peddler walks around selling caps from a tall, tottering pile on his head. Unable to sell a single cap one morning, he walks out into the countryside, sits down under a tree, checks that all the caps are in place, and falls asleep. When he wakes up, the caps are gone--and the tree is full of cap-wearing monkeys. His attempts to get the caps back generate the kind of repetitive rhythm that 3- and 4-year-olds will adore. (Preschool and older) --Richard Farr

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:41 -0400)

A band of mischievous monkeys steals every one of a peddler's caps while he takes a nap under a tree.

50 wanted2 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,866,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible