How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World…

How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World

by Marjorie Priceman

6271915,477 (4.35)7

This book is a great read for students to learn more about the world around them. The protagonist in the book travels the world in order to find the key ingredients needed to make an apple pie. The pictures were greatly drawn, being able to depict all the different places on the globe and showing what makes them unique. As the main character finds each ingredient, the book then tells you step by step how to make the pie. The plot was well thought out and organized as we slowly build this recipe. The end of the book evens has a recipe to make your own apple pie at home if you so choose. The main idea of the book, is to share different places around the world while making a delicious treat. ( )
  zwatso1 | Mar 31, 2016 |
This is a fun book about the where different ingredients are grown around the world. This would be good with a table full of the book's ingredients raw and refined for the students to explore.
  WindyB | Dec 5, 2015 |
24 months - this book is cute, funny. O enjoyed it and I think it will keep it's appeal as she gets older. It's a great book for teaching kids that there is a bigger world around them and that it takes a lot of people and work to get food to our tables. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
I really did want her to see more of the world. Many too many stops in different European countries. The page on cinnamon from Sri Lanka was wonderful, though. And it's cute. Get it from the library, don't buy it. Rough map and recipe included.

Re-read August 2012. Opinion hasn't changed. ;) ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
A cute and preposterous idea for a story. A young girl, setting out to make an apple pie, finds the market closed and travels around the world to get the ingredients she needs. This could be used as an introduction to cooking, learning where ingredients come from and travel. Couple of inaccuracies bothered me though. When she gets the semolina, she grinds up the stalks and all to make her flour. To make butter, she churns the milk. The sugar cane is boiled in water and used how? I realize this story is for fun, but I don't think it would have taken a great deal on the author's part to be a bit more accurate in some of those details. Am I being too harsh? If this is a pure nonsense book, I guess I am. I suppose I was hoping for something a bit more. ( )
  MrsLee | Oct 15, 2014 |

Marjorie Pricemanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helen MirrenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Illus. in full color. An apple pie is easy to make...if the market is open. But if the market is closed, the world becomes your grocery store. This deliciously silly recipe for apple pie takes readers around the globe to gather ingredients. First hop a steamboat to Italy for the finest semolina wheat. Then hitch a ride to England and hijack a cow for the freshest possible milk. And, oh yes! Don't forget to go apple picking in Vermont! A simple recipe for apple pie is included.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:02 -0400)

Since the market is closed, the reader is led around the world to gather the ingredients for making an apple pie. Includes recipe.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,256,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible