How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World…

How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World

by Marjorie Priceman

A cute and preposterous idea for a story. A young girl, setting out to make an apple pie, finds the market closed and travels around the world to get the ingredients she needs. This could be used as an introduction to cooking, learning where ingredients come from and travel. Couple of inaccuracies bothered me though. When she gets the semolina, she grinds up the stalks and all to make her flour. To make butter, she churns the milk. The sugar cane is boiled in water and used how? I realize this story is for fun, but I don't think it would have taken a great deal on the author's part to be a bit more accurate in some of those details. Am I being too harsh? If this is a pure nonsense book, I guess I am. I suppose I was hoping for something a bit more. ( )
  MrsLee | Oct 15, 2014 |
Summary:
This children’s book is about a girl who travels all around the world for ingredients to make her apple pie because the market is closed. She goes from Italy to France to Sri Lanka to England as well as Jamaica and Vermont all to find the ingredients to make her apple pie.

Review:
This book really opens children’s eyes to see where different foods come from. I really liked how they talked about many different places. It creates a sense of unity in the book that even though we know now that these foods come from these certain places, we have a mix of foods available to us everyday. ( )
  mnorth2 | Oct 8, 2014 |
I liked the book “How To Make an Apple Pie and See The World” by Marjorie Priceman for three reasons. First, the events and setting of the story are impossible, which makes it fun for readers to imagine they are in the main characters shoes. “Take your shopping list and some walking shoes. Then catch a steamship bound for Europe.” Second, the multicultural book allows readers to see different ingredients that you can get all over the world. For example, the young girl goes to Italy for semolina wheat, and France for eggs. All of these ingredients from all over the world can make an American Dessert. This may open student’s eyes to the countries that surround them. Third, the plot is set to make students predict what is coming next. It is suspenseful because readers are always wondering where she will travel next and what she will get. A big idea shown in this story is culture and diversity and how each countries culture can offer something to America. ( )
  rschin1 | Mar 30, 2014 |
This cute book is filled with illustrations that reminded me of the Madeline books.

Making an apple pie is easy.. If the local market is closed, all you have to do is catch a steamship to Europe, find semolina wheat, hope on a train to France to find a prize chicken and to encourage the chicken to lay an egg, take it with you on your travels.

Travel nexxt to Sri Lanka for the very best cinnamon, then on to England for a prize cow that will produce wonderful milk...take the cow with you on your future travels. Cast away on a boat to Jamaica to dip a jar in the salt water then when you land, trek to the sugar cane fields and bring some home. Don't forget the apples in Vermont.

Come home, bake the pie, invite some friends and then, if the market is closed and you need milk........ ( )
  Whisper1 | Jan 27, 2014 |
This is an adventuresome little story! The illustrations are warm and happy too. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |

Marjorie Pricemanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helen MirrenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Illus. in full color. An apple pie is easy to make...if the market is open. But if the market is closed, the world becomes your grocery store. This deliciously silly recipe for apple pie takes readers around the globe to gather ingredients. First hop a steamboat to Italy for the finest semolina wheat. Then hitch a ride to England and hijack a cow for the freshest possible milk. And, oh yes! Don't forget to go apple picking in Vermont! A simple recipe for apple pie is included.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:49 -0400)

Since the market is closed, the reader is led around the world to gather the ingredients for making an apple pie. Includes recipe.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,373,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible