Borderland: A Journey through the History of…

Borderland: A Journey through the History of Ukraine (1997)

by Anna Reid

199388,783 (4)15

I may never get hold of these books about the Ukraine, but are on my wishlist to remind me to look out for them. While the Ukraine interests me I am actually looking for books about preWW1 migrations into and from the Russian - Belarus area, so if anyone knows of any please let me know. (incl. biographies,histories,memoirs etc.) Thanks.
1 vote | velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
Borderland: A Journey through the History of Ukraine is a fascinating book that combines a general history of Ukraine with the author's anecdotes of life a the Ukraine correspondent for the British Press. Her method of assigning chapters geographic locations is, in my humble opinion, genius. This way, you not only get a sense of Ukraine's history, but also its present.

Ukraine is a fascinating country, straddling Eastern and Central Europe. The very word Ukraine means "borderland" (hence the title). For the longest time, there was no country there, but rather the borders of several: Byzantium, Turkey, Poland, Russia, Austria-Hungary, among others. How this border region accidentally became an independent state is the focus of Reid's book.

As Reid is a journalist, not a historian, this is not an academic work filled with footnotes; there are a few endnotes, but nothing more. Someone interested in an academic treatment of the subject should look to a book like Andrew Wilson's The Ukrainians. But if you just want to know a bit about modern Ukraine, or perhaps you've read Gregor von Rezzori and want to learn more about Chernivtsi (aka Czernopol), this is a book for you.

Full Review is on my 75 challenge thread, Here ( )
1 vote inge87 | Feb 6, 2013 |
One of the best books I've read in a long time. A sympathetic account that covers the good and the bad; Kievan Rus, Batu Kahn, Poland /Lithuania, Austro Hungarian Galicia, Jews, Russia, wars and deportations. As she says,"Ukraina is literally translated as "on the edge" or "borderland", and that is exactly what it is. ( )
4 vote Miro | Oct 8, 2005 |

Borderland tells the story of Ukraine. A thousand years ago it was the center of the first great Slav civilization, Kievan Rus. In 1240, the Mongols invaded from the east, and for the next seven centureies, Ukraine was split between warring neighbors: Lithuanians, Poles, Russians, Austrians, and Tatars. Again and again, borderland turned into battlefield: during the Cossack risings of the seventeenth century, Russia’s wars with Sweden in the eighteenth, the Civil War of 1918–1920, and under Nazi occupation. Ukraine finally won independence in 1991, with the collapse of the Soviet Union. Bigger than France and a populous as Britain, it has the potential to become one of the most powerful states in Europe.In this finely written and penetrating book, Anna Reid combines research and her own experiences to chart Ukraine’s tragic past. Talking to peasants and politicians, rabbis and racketeers, dissidents and paramilitaries, survivors of Stalin’s famine and of Nazi labor camps, she reveals the layers of myth and propaganda that wrap this divided land. From the Polish churches of Lviv to the coal mines of the Russian-speaking Donbass, from the Galician shtetlech to the Tatar shantytowns of Crimea, the book explores Ukraine’s struggle to build itself a national identity, and identity that faces up to a bloody past, and embraces all the peoples within its borders.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:14 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,628,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible