The Cyanide Canary by Joseph Hilldorfer

The Cyanide Canary (2004)

by Joseph Hilldorfer, Robert Dugoni

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an audio version of this book in exchange for an honest review. I enjoyed listening to the book to and from work. The characters were interesting and the plot was intriguing. I typically read fiction, but I would be interested in reading more titles like this one. ( )
  karconner | Jul 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I listened to the audio version of this book. This is an iPod Ready, MP3 CD. I usually am more of a fiction fan but something about the story line here caught my attention and I am glad that it did. This is based on actual events with real people that makes for compelling listening.
There are many characters,government and other agencies,locations,chemical details that would seem to make for confusion while listening (not being able really to page back and check as in an actual book). I have to say that I didn't find that to be the case. The characters were so well described that it feels like you are there and can see them in person.
This is nonfiction that reads like a thriller. ( )
  kathyc248 | Jul 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wasn’t sure what to expect when receiving The Cyanide Canary. I have long been concerned about the harm being done to our environment, our food and our communities by large scale industry. In this book which looks at the use of cyanide gas in industry and the story of a young man harmed by his work. After listening to this book, I became even more concerned. This book examines the EPA, the legal system and the power to control and corrupt by big business. It provides information on these terribly important issues and challenged me to greater action. Following this nonfiction story of courtroom action and manipulations keeps the reader engaged during a long and difficult process. It is not a relaxing or easy read. I received a copy of this audio book in exchange for an honest review. I give it 4 stars and recommend it for all who are interested in reading about environmental, legal and quality of life issues. ( )
  WeeziesBooks | Jun 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free advance review e-copy of this book and have chosen of my own free will to post a review. ‘The Cyanide Canary’ is very well written and a true real life environmental drama. Couldn’t put it down. This is a story of a young man who nearly dies and suffers severe brain damage for the rest of his life due to the negligence and poor safety practices of the owner of the company. It is tragic and unconscionable. What a long and arduous legal process to enforce environmental law with denials, cover-ups, twists, turns, etc. Robert Dugoni does a great job of writing a book that is easy to follow and readable in everyday language so that anyone can understand the workings of the EPA and what really happened here. I like his style. This is a book that everyone should read. ( )
  iadam | May 29, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Well documented telling of actual case involving genuine lack of moral and ethical standards of offender, and some of the damages that left. Would be an excellent fiction were it not for it being factual. Brings up many of the issues between legislation, regulation and enforcement that occur. Sad but true, well told.
  BluePhrog57 | May 28, 2017 |

Joseph Hilldorferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dugoni, Robertmain authorall editionsconfirmed

"The Cyanide Canary" is the riveting true story of a horrific crime -- of a brave young man left for dead, an unscrupulous business mogul, and the relentless EPA investigator who fought to overcome injustice.

On a crisp summer morning in Soda Springs, Idaho, twenty-year-old Scott Dominguez kissed his fiance e goodbye and went to work for Allan Elias, the owner of Evergreen Resources, an enterprise Dominguez thought was in the business of producing fertilizer from mining waste. A former high school wrestler blessed with Tom Cruise-like good looks, Dominguez seemed to have unlimited potential, but by eleven o'clock that morning he was fighting for his life, pulled unconscious from a cyanide-laced storage tank and not expected to live through the night.

In Seattle, Special Agent Joseph Hilldorfer of the Environmental Protection Agency was given the job of finding out what happened to Dominguez and why. Initially Hilldorfer did not want the case, still frustrated by an intense two-year investigation that concluded with corporate polluters walking out of a federal courthouse free. But as he learned more, Hilldorfer, the son of a Pittsburgh cop with a blue-collar work ethic, was touched by Scott's suffering and outraged at Elias's callous disregard for his employees' well-being.

A former New York whiz kid and Arizona realestateand business mogul, Elias owned businesses that had polluted Idaho with hazardous waste for nearly a decade. Yet Elias never spent a single day in jail, openly boasted of beating the environmental quality regulations, and avoided any significant fines. Would this case be any different?

Gripping, powerful, and compulsively readable, "The Cyanide Canary" is a major achievement in the classic tradition of "A Civil Action," a book that unfolds like fiction yet is alarmingly true.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:11 -0400)

"The Cyanide Canary is the true story of a horrific crime - of a brave young man left for dead, an unscrupulous business mogul, and the relentless EPA investigator who fought to overcome injustice." "On a crisp summer morning in Soda Springs, Idaho, twenty-year-old Scott Dominguez kissed his fiancee goodbye and went to work for Allan Elias, the owner of Evergreen Resources, an enterprise Dominguez thought was in the business of producing fertilizer from mining waste. A former high school wrestler blessed with Tom Cruise-like good looks, Dominguez seemed to have unlimited potential, but by eleven o'clock that morning he was fighting for his life, pulled unconscious from a cyanide-laced storage tank and not expected to live through the night." "In Seattle, Special Agent Joseph Hilldorfer of the Environmental Protection Agency was given the job of finding out what happened to Dominguez and why. Initially Hilldorfer did not want the case, still frustrated by an intense two-year investigation that concluded with corporate polluters walking out of a federal courthouse free." "Hilldorfer and his partner, Special Agent Bob Wojnicz, joined forces with seasoned Boise Assistant U.S. Attorney George Breitsameter and an indefatigable, brilliant young attorney from the Department of Justice's Environmental Crimes Section named David Uhlmann. Together they would uncover the horrifying truths and build the criminal case against Elias." "Hilldorfer, Uhlmann, and the government trial team embarked on an epic courtroom battle that would stretch them to the limits. What began as a struggle for justice for one young man became a fight by the EPA for its very ability to enforce the nation's environmental laws and to bring environmental polluters to justice. In the balance was whether Allan Elias would ever spend a day in jail."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Joseph Hilldorfer's book The Cyanide Canary: A True Story of Injustice is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible