Complete Tales & Poems of Edgar Allan Poe by…

Complete Tales & Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (edition 1975)

by Edgar Allan Poe

Member:booksandwine
Title:Complete Tales & Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
Authors:Edgar Allan Poe
Info:Vintage Books (1975), Edition: Paper edition, Paperback, 1026 pages

The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe by Edgar Allan Poe (Author)

19th century (135) American (98) American literature (162) anthology (140) classic (211) Classic Literature (35) classics (212) collection (104) Edgar Allan Poe (64) fantasy (77) fiction (828) gothic (146) hardcover (56) horror (580) literature (228) macabre (43) mystery (167) own (42) Poe (95) poems (66) poetry (984) read (44) short fiction (28) short stories (563) short story (52) stories (49) supernatural (30) suspense (46) to-read (90) unread (63)
    The moon hoax; or, A discovery that the moon has a vast population of human beings by Richard Adams Locke (JeffreySinclair)
    JeffreySinclair: "The Moon Hoax" is similar in style and purpose to Poe's short story "Hans Pfall", which it inspired.

Edgar Allan Poe was probably the first writer to truly fascinate me. I remember watching the movie the "Fall of the House of Usher", and becoming hooked by his stories, which I then started avidly reading. I'd never read anything like Poe, and I couldn't stop until I'd read all his stories. As an adult, I still enjoy Poe's stories and feel strongly they can be used in teaching.
  skm88 | Jun 8, 2014 |
I did a school report on this highschool that required using a song from popculture. I recall I played the cure's "all cats are grey" and made up a flimsy reason to use it. ( )
  peptastic | Dec 10, 2013 |
I got this collection set today and I couldn't be more pleased. :D It's the leatherbound edition sold by Barnes & Nobles with a ribbon bookmark, which is always very handy. The text is very easy to read and seems to have every last one of his works. Though currently out of print, I was lucky enough to have the last in the store.

The book itself is very sturdy and anyone who loves horror and/or literature should have it. The first thing I did on the way home? Read out the first three poems, Lenore, and The Raven on the way home. :)

I honestly have no complaints. ( )
1 vote MoonSpider | Aug 22, 2013 |
Having read all the well-known stories and poems, I dug into this tome with anticipation, expecting many of his more obscure works to be fully as good. But I was vastly disappointed.

As we all know, his horror stories are real gems. There's a reason he's called a master of the genre. And I much enjoyed (re)reading them.

But the rest of this volume is filled with some of the dullest writings imaginable. Meandering, pointless, filled with useless tangents. Stories which skillfully build up suspense, only to end abruptly, often in the midst of the climax. Parodies of literary journals long since out of vogue. Impenetrable essays on the nature and rationale of poetry.

It surprises me that the same author can write a few stories that are so good, and many that are very bad, with almost no middle ground between.

My favorite stories remain The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar and The Cask of Amontillado; as for the poems, it amazes me that The Raven is so good, and everything else so bad. ( )
1 vote wirehead | Jul 9, 2013 |
If you're a student of the American school system, you are probably familiar (to some extent) with Edgar Allan Poe. His more popular works are staples of the education system:
"Anabel Lee"
"The Raven"
"The Bells"
"The Tell-Tale Heart"
"The Black Cat"
"The Cask of Amontillado"
"The Pit and the Pendulum"
"The Fall of the House of Usher"
"The Purloined Letter"
"The Gold Bug"
"Murders in the Rue Morgue"
...I'm sure most English readers have read at least two of these at one point or another.

Poe was, however, an extremely prolific author beyond these works. There is a very good reason that these are the literary fallbacks most teachers rely on. To be perfectly frank, most of his work was absolute crap (and this is coming from someone who has idolized him since I first heard "The Raven" at age five and had it memorized by third grade). I set out a month or so ago to read the collected works of Edgar Allan Poe and very quickly found myself out of love. I'm not sure if his humor no longer translates to modern audiences, but anything of his outside the mystery or horror genre, I could not stand. It was a painful reading experience I hope never to repeat.

As far as my particular edition of the works (B&N), it stunk. Poe frequently wrote in Greek, French, Latin and other languages and no translations or footnotes were provided for anything beyond those provided by Poe himself (which means almost no translations of any kind). Let me tell you, it's difficult to Google translate Ancient Greek in the original Greek letters. ( )
  benuathanasia | Apr 24, 2013 |

Annabel Lee by Edgar Allan Poe

Metzengerstein by Edgar Allan Poe

The Duc De L'Omelette [short fiction] by Edgar Allan Poe

A Tale of Jerusalem [short fiction] by Edgar Allan Poe

Loss Of Breath: A Tale Neither In Nor Out Of "Blackwood" (Loss Of Breath) by Edgar Allan Poe

Bon-Bon by Edgar Allan Poe

The Man That Was Used Up [short fiction] by Edgar Allan Poe

The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allan Poe

William Wilson by Edgar Allan Poe

Conversation d'Eiros avec Charmion by Edgar Allan Poe

Why the Little Frenchman Wears His Hand in a Sling [short fiction] by Edgar Allan Poe

The Business Man by Edgar Allan Poe by Edgar Allan Poe

The Purloined Letter by Edgar Allan Poe

The Thousand-and-Second Tale of Scheherazade by Edgar Allan Poe

Some Words With A Mummy by Edgar Allan Poe

The Power of Words [short fiction] by Edgar Allan Poe

The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether [short fiction] by Edgar Allan Poe

The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar by Edgar Allan Poe

Hop-Frog by Edgar Allan Poe

Von Kempelen and His Discovery [short fiction] by Edgar Allan Poe

X-ing a Paragrab by Edgar Allan Poe

The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Edgar Allan Poe

What song the Syrens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, although puzzling questions are not beyond all conjecture.

--Sir Thomas Browne, "Urn-Burial."

For my husband
Anthony John Ranson
with love from your wife, the publisher.
Eternally grateful for your unconditional love, nut just for me but for our children,
Simon, Androw and Nicola Trayler
The Murders In the Rue Morgue:

The mental features discoursed of as the analytical are, in themselves, but little susceptible of analysis.
Do not combine "The Complete Tales and Poems" with "Complete Works" in any form (he wrote other things as well), nor with "Complete tales" in any form (since that won't include the poems).

Edgar Poe was born the son of itinerant actors on January 19, 1809 in Boston, Massachusetts. Abandoned by his father and the later death of his mother, he was taken into the foster care of John Allan, a Virginia tobacco farmer. Now styled as Edgar Allan Poe, he distinguished himself at the University of Virginia but was equally adept at collecting debts from his assiduous gambling. His stepfather's disapproval shattered their fragile relationship and Poe left home to seek his fortune.

IN 1830 he married his cousin Virginia but despite his prolific activities - journalism, poetry, lecturing, short stories, publishing, criticism, and experimentation with fictional genres, including the detective novel which he virtually invented with the publication of 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue' (1841) - he received scant recognition for his efforts until the publication of 'The Raven' (1845). The poem's instant popularity gave him a new visibility in literary circles, but his personal situation remained desperate: poverty, illness, drink and the physical decline. IN 1849 he was found sick, injured and semi-conscious in a Baltimore tavern. Taken to hospital, he lingered on for four days, but he never recovered and on Oct 7th Edgar Allan Poe died at the age of 40.

He was one of the most original writers in the history of American letters - a genius who, thanks to his dire reputation, was tragically misunderstood during his lifetime. It was not until Baudelarie enthusiastically translated his work that he found a wider audience in Europe, and became not only an enormous influence on modern French literature, but also on the acclaimed work of writers such as Dostoevsky, Donan Doyle, and Jules Verne. This volume not only includes Poe's most well-known works but also over 50 of his poems.

Brings together Poe's stories and poems in one volume.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,491,877 books! | Top bar: Always visible