Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar…

Tales of Mystery and Imagination

by Edgar Allan Poe

3,203292,619 (4.08)86

English (27)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (29)
Harry Clarke's vivid and disturbing illustrations, reminiscent of the work of Aubrey Beardsley, bring hideous life to Poe's stories, and I find myself returning to both the stories and the illustrations again and again.

My parents had a copy of the original version of this book, published by Tudor Publishing Co. Calla Editions has done a truly excellent job with this reproduction, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

If you have any interest in either Poe's fiction, or weird art, this book will give you a lifetime of enjoyment--and if you're lucky, a nightmare or two! ( )
  piquant00 | Oct 20, 2018 |
Posthumous compilations of writings by American author, essayist and poet Edgar Allan Poe and was the first complete collection of his works specifically restricting itself to his suspenseful and related tales.
  Cultural_Attache | Jul 16, 2018 |
I feel like these stories vary significantly in quality, some are brilliant stories that make it clear why Poe is still so popular. Others I just had no idea what I was reading or why. So read Murders in the Rue Morgue and The Tell-tale Heart, but maybe skip The Colloquy of Monos and Una and Silence. Although seen as a gothic or horror writer there are other genres such as detective stories in here, they are very wide-ranging, just not all good. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Jan 27, 2018 |
Poe stories, having been countlessly reworked into contemporary pop culture, might no longer surprise or shock modern audiences. For the uninitiated, however, these remain timeless psychological thrillers with a lush gothic style that is simultaneously captivating and chilling, deserving of a read if only for its historical literary importance. ( )
  kitzyl | Dec 23, 2017 |
Edgar Allan Poe has long been my favourite writer. I love his gloomy descriptions of old houses and sinister people, his weird macabre stories, his literary landscapes and the bizarre world he imaginatively creates. My favourite stories are the Fall of the House of Usher, an elaborate haunted house tale, the Tell-Tale Heart, where we get an inside look at the mind of a murderer and the Masque of the Red Death, where we meet the diabolical Prince Prospero and his palace of distinctly coloured chambers. ( )
  AmiloFinn | Jun 12, 2015 |

Poe, Edgar AllanAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ayrton, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clarke, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colum, PádraicIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rackham, ArthurIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thal, Herbert vanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Many years ago I contracted an intimacy with a Mr William Legrand.

Contains the following short stories:

The Gold Bug

Shadow - A Parable

Silence - A Fable

The Man of the Crowd

Some Words with a Mummy

Hardcover: 456 pages Publisher: Barnes and Noble; 1st Collector's Library edition (2003) Language: English

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:23 -0400)

Spiral into a dimly lit world, down streets lined with madmen and their black deeds, through the cold twists of the catacombs, and into rooms where secrets dwell. From the tortured mind of Edgar Allan Poe, these three tales, "The Black Cat," "The Fall of the House of Usher," and "The Cask of Amontillado," speak to the hidden places inside us all. Capturing the mist and shadows rising from the stories are illustrations by prominent artist Gary Kelley. Angular and dark, his work heightens the Gothic terror that is Poe's trademark and creates windows into Poe's world.… (more)

Pook Press

An edition of this book was published by Pook Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,762,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible