The Adventures of Tom Sawyer / The…

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer / The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1876)

by Mark Twain (Author)

Series: Tom Sawyer (Omnibus 1-2)

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury (infiniteletters)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (andyray)
    andyray: for those youths today, the missouri of 1860-70 is magic through twain's pen.

English (20)  German (1)  Galician (1)  All languages (22)
Good classic.
American Frontier.
Banned at one point for the use of the N word, but not meant in today's context.
Historical and multicultural
I like Tom Sawyer because it gives you a good feel about the beauty of the Mississippi River and the land around it. It's adventurous and could expand students minds. ( )
  DayDreamBear | Jan 26, 2014 |
Audible version. Elijah Wood's reading is simply fantastic. Unfortunately, this story is not as engaging as I remember from childhood. I understand it has a Purpose, but I suspect I'd have given the book up completely before finishing, had I been reading the print version or had it been performed by anyone else. ( )
  PortM | Nov 30, 2013 |
Summary:
This is the story of a very imaginative young boy and his best friend and their many tall tales.

Personal Reaction:
I remember reading this at a very young age and loving it.

Classroom Extensions:
1. This is a good book to read when teaching about classic books.
2. I would use this as a book to read to my class as entertainment. ( )
  shanda1021 | Oct 29, 2011 |
illustrations by norman rockwell are tipped in. boards arered denim ( )
  billyhill21 | Aug 29, 2010 |
Tom Sawyer is pure fun, but Huckleberry Finn is the real treasure. Mark Twain's grasp of the various Southern dialects is amazingly true to life, and in Adventures of Huckleberry Finn he satirizes many aspects of that region in the antebellum era, such as superstitions, societal teachings, and family honor. The author underwent a complete transformation in how he viewed blacks between the time he wrote Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, and it is interesting to see how the character of Tom Sawyer changes from an innocent troublemaker to a mean-spirited, "adventure"-seeking adolescent. I read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer for fun in elementary school, and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn for my high school senior English class, and because of that, I recommend that you follow along the story on SparkNotes (or a similar guide) because it may reveal to you some insight into the time period or into Twain's satire that you would not have picked up on your own. ( )
  tonyasbooks | Jun 18, 2010 |

Twain, MarkAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Donald, MilesIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Polseno, JoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timm, HerbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weseloh, Hans AchimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Tom!"
This is an omnibus edition of both The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. It should not be combined with either individual work.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451528646, Mass Market Paperback)

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Take a lighthearted, nostalgic trip to a simpler time, seen through the eyes of a very special boy named Tom Sawyer. It is a dreamlike summertime world of hooky and adventure, pranks and punishment, villains and young love, filled with memorable characters. Adults and young readers alike continue to enjoy this delightful classic of the promise and dreams of youth from one of America’s most beloved authors.

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

He has no mother, his father is a brutal drunkard, and he sleeps in a barrel. He’s Huck Finn—liar, sometime thief, and rebel against respectability. But when Huck meets a runaway slave named Jim, his life changes forever. On their exciting flight down the Mississippi aboard a raft, the boy nobody wanted matures into a young man of courage and conviction. As Ernest Hemingway said of this glorious novel: “All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn.

With a New Introduction

@declineofwesternsiv Seems like soon as a fella comes into a bit o’ money, everyone comes out of the woodworks after’n it.

These ladies wants to sivilize me? More like reverse gold-dig my fame and fortune. @FencinTom: Get me outta here!

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:13 -0400)

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.. Take a lighthearted, nostalgic trip to a simpler time, seen through the eyes of a very special boy named Tom Sawyer. It is a dreamlike summertime world of hooky and adventure, pranks and punishment, villains and first love, filled with memorable characters. Adults and young readers alike continue to enjoy this delightful classic of the promise and dreams of youth from one of America's most beloved authors. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn He has no mother, his father is a brutal drunkard, and he sleeps in a barrel. He's Huck Finn liar, sometime thief, and rebel against respectability. But when Huck meets a runaway slave named Jim, his life changes forever. On their exciting flight down the Mississippi aboard a raft, the boy nobody wanted matures into a young man of courage and conviction. As Ernest Hemingway said of this glorious novel: All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn.… (more)

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,491,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible