Servant of the Bones by Anne Rice

Servant of the Bones (1996)

by Anne Rice

English (23)  French (1)  All languages (24)
In a new and major novel, the creator of fantastic universes o vampires and witches takes us now into the world of Isaiah and Jeremiah, and the destruction of Solomon's Temple, to tell the story of Azriel, Servant of the Bones.
He is ghost, genii, demon, angel--pure spirit made visible. He pours his heart out to us as he journeys from an ancient Babylon of royal plottings and religious upheavals to Europe of the Black Death and on to the modern world. There he finds himself, amidst the towers of Manhattan, in confrontation with his own human origins and the dark forces that have sought to condemn him to a life of evil and destruction.
  buffygurl | Mar 8, 2019 |
Servant of the bones by Anne Rice (1996) ( )
  zvati | Jan 27, 2019 |
Great stand alone book. This book will keep you hooked from the beginning from to end ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
Azriel is a restless Jewish spirit, born almost 2500 years ago in Babylon, who can be called forth by whoever holds and understands the arcane mystery of the casket of golden bones he is tied to. Caught between heaven and earth, Azriel is forced to bear witness to the long and troubled history of Western civilisation, from the household of an ancient Greek philosopher and the deathbed of Alexander the Great, to the Mongolian Steppes and fourteenth century Strasbourg, where Jews were made scapegoats for the Black Death. And finally in the present, he is summoned to witness and avenge a brutal murder on Fifth Avenue. The dead woman is Esther, step-daughter of Gregory Belkin, fanatical messianic leader of a worldwide cult, the Temple of the Mind. Belkin is known to be the son of Holocaust victims, but he has a secret history which binds Azriel's fate to his.
  Cultural_Attache | Jul 27, 2018 |
This is the story about how a Babylonian boy becomes a demon/god. The act of the transformation is fairly gruesome. Because of that, he is an angry spirit who could wallow forever in his anger, but due to some wonderful tutors and other encounters in his life he sees that he can be more. I think my favorite line is from one of his 'masters', Zurvan, who teaches him that "If an activity is not grounded in "to love" or "to learn," it does not have value." I just enjoy that idea. Otherwise, I found it to be an interesting read, typical of Anne Rice's style.
  GretchenLynn | Feb 13, 2017 |
The Bones of Woe

Golden are the bones of woe.
Their brilliance has no place to go.
It plunges inward,
Spikes through snow.

Of weeping fathers whom we drink
And mother's milk and final stink
We can dream but cannot think.
Golden bones encrust the brink.

Golden silver copper silk
Woe is water shocked by milk.
Heart attack, assassin, cancer.
Who would think these bones such dancers.

Golden are the bones of woe.
Skeleton holds skeleton.
Words of ghosts are not to know.
Ignorance is what we learn.

-Stan Rice, Some Lamb 1975
This book
is
dedicated
to
GOD.
This is Azriel's story as he told it to me, as he begged me to bear witness and to record his words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345389417, Mass Market Paperback)

Her first book since Memnoch the Devil, Anne Rice takes us now into the world of Isaiah and Jeremiah, and the destruction of Solomon's temple, to tell the story of Azriel, Servant of the Bones. He is ghost, genji, demon, angel--pure spirit made visible. He pours his heart out to us as he journeys from an ancient Babylon of royal plottings and religious upheavals to the Europe of the Black Death and to the modern world. There he finds himself, amidst the towers of Manhattan, in confrontation with his own human origins and the dark forces that have sought to condemn him to a life of evil and destruction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:38 -0400)

The story of a genie from his origins in ancient Babylon to his appearance in modern-day New York. He recounts his service to masters who owned the gold-plated bones which call him up, and gives his observations of humanity over the ages. By the author of Memnoch the Devil.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,789,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible