Servant of the Bones by Anne Rice

Servant of the Bones (original 1996; edition 1999)

by Anne Rice

3,020201,885 (3.47)14
Member:Meluna
Title:Servant of the Bones
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:B E Trice Pub (1999), Ausgabe: Limited, Hardcover
Rating:**
Tags:Anne Rice, Fantasy, Horror, Vampir, Azriel

Servant of the Bones by Anne Rice (1996)

Some of her books seem to be all exposition and no action. This was one. Ask me the point of it. I couldn't tell you. I finished it a week ago and I couldn't tell you how it ended. Meh. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
This is a quick read with the usual elements of a Rice novel: a character who could be considered evil at first comes to tell his story to the unsuspecting narrator.

This particular story covers the servant of the bones. A man who was sacrificed becomes cursed to serve whoever has his bones. He kills, steals and does whatever his master requires of him. That is until he wakes up from his slumber without being called--with his new powers he fights to stop the man claiming to be his master from creating the apocalypse. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
A very slow read. Although the story could have been great, the book is in style closer to Memnoch or Body Thief. The framing story is pointless, half the book is just ramblings and the main character feels inconsistent. To compensate for the long stretches where nothing happens, the end is rushed and too short.
Anne Rice has written many great books, but this is unfortunately not one of them. ( )
  Meluna | Dec 10, 2012 |
Okay, so I finally finished it. I didn't like the narrator or the narration. I found Ms Rice's writing clumpy as if she'd tried a little too hard.Overall I was glad to get to the end. Shame. ( )
1 vote bkwormblogger | Sep 27, 2011 |
The Bones of Woe

Golden are the bones of woe.
Their brilliance has no place to go.
It plunges inward,
Spikes through snow.

Of weeping fathers whom we drink
And mother's milk and final stink
We can dream but cannot think.
Golden bones encrust the brink.

Golden silver copper silk
Woe is water shocked by milk.
Heart attack, assassin, cancer.
Who would think these bones such dancers.

Golden are the bones of woe.
Skeleton holds skeleton.
Words of ghosts are not to know.
Ignorance is what we learn.

-Stan Rice, Some Lamb 1975
This book
is
dedicated
to
GOD.
This is Azriel's story as he told it to me, as he begged me to bear witness and to record his words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345389417, Mass Market Paperback)

Her first book since Memnoch the Devil, Anne Rice takes us now into the world of Isaiah and Jeremiah, and the destruction of Solomon's temple, to tell the story of Azriel, Servant of the Bones. He is ghost, genji, demon, angel--pure spirit made visible. He pours his heart out to us as he journeys from an ancient Babylon of royal plottings and religious upheavals to the Europe of the Black Death and to the modern world. There he finds himself, amidst the towers of Manhattan, in confrontation with his own human origins and the dark forces that have sought to condemn him to a life of evil and destruction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:03 -0400)

The story of a genie from his origins in ancient Babylon to his appearance in modern-day New York. He recounts his service to masters who owned the gold-plated bones which call him up, and gives his observations of humanity over the ages. By the author of Memnoch the Devil.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,319,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible