Servant of the Bones by Anne Rice

Servant of the Bones (original 1996; edition 1999)

by Anne Rice

Member:Meluna
Title:Servant of the Bones
Authors:Anne Rice
Info:B E Trice Pub (1999), Ausgabe: Limited, Hardcover
Rating:**
Tags:Anne Rice, Fantasy, Horror, Vampir, Azriel

Servant of the Bones by Anne Rice (1996)

Recently added byBob_dylan140, private library, purple15emerald, Theadora78, DBReads

This is a quick read with the usual elements of a Rice novel: a character who could be considered evil at first comes to tell his story to the unsuspecting narrator.

This particular story covers the servant of the bones. A man who was sacrificed becomes cursed to serve whoever has his bones. He kills, steals and does whatever his master requires of him. That is until he wakes up from his slumber without being called--with his new powers he fights to stop the man claiming to be his master from creating the apocalypse. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
A very slow read. Although the story could have been great, the book is in style closer to Memnoch or Body Thief. The framing story is pointless, half the book is just ramblings and the main character feels inconsistent. To compensate for the long stretches where nothing happens, the end is rushed and too short.
Anne Rice has written many great books, but this is unfortunately not one of them. ( )
  Meluna | Dec 10, 2012 |
Okay, so I finally finished it. I didn't like the narrator or the narration. I found Ms Rice's writing clumpy as if she'd tried a little too hard.Overall I was glad to get to the end. Shame. ( )
1 vote bkwormblogger | Sep 27, 2011 |
As a bit of a diversion from the regular vampire lore, in The Servant of the Bones by Anne Rice we are taken to the hay days of a crowed chaotic Babylon. At times rambling on in non-essential dialogue this story is rich in detail and character development not to mention vivid descriptions of places and people long past. A very long time ago a young boy sacrifices himself for the Jewish community in Babylon under the impending rule of King Cyrus. His reward is to live forever on as a powerful spirit neither completely alive and certainly not dead. Passed on from master to master Azriel eventually ends up in modern day New York where he becomes a pivotal component in the plan of a mad mastermind set on bringing about his version of the End of Days.

Before all that however we travel with Azriel and we see through his eyes the world as it once was. All this we are told by Azriel himself as he re-told it to Jonathan a writer who trapped himself for the winter in a remote lodge surrounded by miles of snow. The setup of an old tired spirit telling his life's story to a listener who has the power to write it all down appropriately is perhaps not a novel one, but it certainly works in this case. Although the story starts out very slowly with lots of re-starts, as Azriel puts in more and more detail, right around the middle of the novel things start to pick up and accelerate towards the ending.

After thousands of years of being immortal and mostly omnipotent, Azriel is confronted with a situation he can't change. He can't prevent the death of a young girl, something we later read has many more personal repercussions for our 'hero' dead or alive. The more he tries the less he seems to have a grip on his physical world around him and he can't prevent those around him he cares about to not perish at the hands of baser minds. Or can he? We are treated here to a well thought out and well told story on humanity as experienced by a being far from human. At times dragging on and at times too fantastical for its context, this novel his highly entertaining and engrossing. ( )
  TheCriticalTimes | Aug 30, 2011 |
The Bones of Woe

Golden are the bones of woe.
Their brilliance has no place to go.
It plunges inward,
Spikes through snow.

Of weeping fathers whom we drink
And mother's milk and final stink
We can dream but cannot think.
Golden bones encrust the brink.

Golden silver copper silk
Woe is water shocked by milk.
Heart attack, assassin, cancer.
Who would think these bones such dancers.

Golden are the bones of woe.
Skeleton holds skeleton.
Words of ghosts are not to know.
Ignorance is what we learn.

-Stan Rice, Some Lamb 1975
This book
is
dedicated
to
GOD.
This is Azriel's story as he told it to me, as he begged me to bear witness and to record his words.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345389417, Mass Market Paperback)

Her first book since Memnoch the Devil, Anne Rice takes us now into the world of Isaiah and Jeremiah, and the destruction of Solomon's temple, to tell the story of Azriel, Servant of the Bones. He is ghost, genji, demon, angel--pure spirit made visible. He pours his heart out to us as he journeys from an ancient Babylon of royal plottings and religious upheavals to the Europe of the Black Death and to the modern world. There he finds himself, amidst the towers of Manhattan, in confrontation with his own human origins and the dark forces that have sought to condemn him to a life of evil and destruction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:03 -0400)

The story of a genie from his origins in ancient Babylon to his appearance in modern-day New York. He recounts his service to masters who owned the gold-plated bones which call him up, and gives his observations of humanity over the ages. By the author of Memnoch the Devil.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,669,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible