Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To: Divine…

Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To: Divine Answers to Life's Most…

by Anthony DeStefano

This amazing book should be read and reread and given to friends. ( )
  CatQuilt | May 10, 2013 |
I open up my Lenten reading for 2008 with a book about prayer. Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To (2007) by Anthony DeStefano, despite it's 10-step-program title, is really about simplifying one's approach to prayer and understanding it as conversation with God.

Below are the ten prayers and some of my favorite passages from each chapter:

1. God, Show Me That You Exist

2. When we take the initiative by asking him a question, instead of treating him as a question, we have actually entered into a dialogue already -- whether we know it or not. And dialogue -- back-and-forth conversation -- is the heart and foundation of any relationship (p. 13-14).
  3. God, Make Me an Instrument

4. Christ was making a specific theological point. He was teaching us the true meaning of love. When "two or three" people are present in a particular place and a particular time, it is possible for one of those people to give himself away in love. In other words, it is possible for that person to "love his neighbor". And it is when you love your neighbor that God is most truly and fully present (p. 29).
  5. God, Outdo Me in Generosity

6. You can always afford to give something away -- and that something should always be more than you can afford. It's just that you shouldn't be so extreme in your giving that it's impossible to fulfill your other legitimate responsibilities. You should never be reckless (p. 54).
  7. God, Get Me Through This Suffering

8. God says yes to all who come to him for help and comfort when they are in the midst of such trials. Notice I did not say that he promises to stop the suffering, or prevent it from happening in the first place, or alleviate it in any way. This may be one of the biggest stumbling blocks to faith, but we have to face it, head-on: God allows terrible things to happen (p. 61).
  9. God, Forgive Me

10. Forgiveness has one meaning: wishing a person the greatest possible good -- which basically means wishing them salvation and heaven (p. 85).
  11. God, Give Me Peace

12. Suffering, turmoil, conflict, and indecision are all realities, and we have to deal with them. You can't just pray to God and expect him to make all your problems magically disappear. That's not the way to true peace. That's only a way of avoiding responsibility. When bad things happen to us and other people, we have a moral obligation to get involved. We have a duty to fight evil and alleviate suffering. We have a responsibility to look adversity squarely in the face and struggle against it with every fiber of our being. It's just that in our effort to deal with these external challenges, we can't ever allow ourselves to focus on them to exclusion of what's most important in life -- our relationship with God (p. 107).
  13. God, Give Me Courage

14. The reason is that when we are weak, we're in the perfect position to receive abundant graces from God. It's when when we are filled up -- with pride in our skills and natural abilities -- that we have no room for God's gifts. But when we are "empty," there is plenty of space for God to work in. He can come in and literally pour his spirit and his power into us (p. 128).
  15. God, Give Me Wisdom

16. When you ask God for wisdom, you are essentially asking him for the gift of himself. And as we've seen elsewhere in this book, that's something he's always eager to do. Remember, the goal of authentic spirituality is to be in union with God. That's what the whole spiritual life comes down to. When you're in union with God, you have direct and immediate access to all of the things that God is, and that includes peace, courage, love, wisdom, and truth. God wants you to have these things; he wants to shine his light on humanity, to speak his word unceasingly. Therefore he wants to pour out wisdom on all of us. This is not profound theological thinking, it's simple common sense (p. 134).
  17. God, Bring Good Out of This Bad Situation

18. Every one of your tears, every one of your weaknesses, every one of your humiliations, every one of your failures -- every single bad thing that ever happens to you in life -- can be transformed. Out of every advertisity, God can produce some higher good. Out of every loss, God can find some marvelous gift to give you. Out of every death, God can bring forth new life -- if only you ask him.
    If you come away from this book with only one thing, let it be this: "All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to his purpose" (p. 163).
  19. God, Lead Me to My Destiny

20. There's a reason that God doesn't always tell us our destiny right away but prefers instead to reveal it to us little by little. It's because he's interested in not only what we're going to accomplish but also what kind of person we're going to be at the time we accomplish it. And sometimes the "journey" is what helps mold us into better human beings. Indeed, the journey is often what makes life enjoyable. All of the things we experience in life ... can help prepare us for the greatness God has in store for us. Even the bad things ... can help lead us to our destiny. God wastes nothing (p. 179).

This book is a good introduction to prayer for the newbie as well as good reminder of prayer as finding the way to the will of God. ( )
  Othemts | Jun 26, 2008 |

There have been thousands of books written about prayer and millions of sermons preached about it, yet people continue to wonder: Why doesn’t God answer me when I cry out to him? In light of all the problems we face in life, we want to know why God is often so “silent” when we pray to him. Anthony DeStefano, author of the bestselling A Travel Guide to Heaven, knew there had to be an answer to this mystery, so he set out on a quest to find prayers that God says yes to all the time. The result is an extraordinary new book that has the ability to dramatically change the lives of readers of all faiths.
Each short, powerful prayer in Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To addresses a particular problem people commonly face in life—from accepting the existence of God to trying to make ends meet; from getting through terrible suffering to coping with everyday stress; from overcoming fear to finding your God-given destiny. Presented with a certainty and vigor that are sure to pique the interest of even those who are not spiritually inclined, these prayers will help readers find solutions to life’s most difficult situations and provide meaningful and inspiring answers to the vexing questions we have about the purpose of our time on earth.
In a world awash with superficial self-help books and deceptive gimmicks, Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To is the real thing. Using hundreds of scriptural references to support his claims, DeStefano writes in a simple, straightforward, and uplifting manner that makes the most profound theological matters understandable to all. In the words of the author, “This is a spiritual treasure chest that is available to everyone….This book is about prayers that work—really, truly work.”

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:44 -0400)

The hardcover version of DeStefano's book (Doubleday, pub. date May, 2007), is already creating a buzz in the religious community in the U.S., and promises to be a major, secular cross-over hit. Essentially, Ten prayers God always says yes to! is a guidebook on how to pray effectively. All over the world right now, people are shaking their heads in frustration, asking the question: why doesn't God answer me when I cry out to him? In light of all the problems we face in life, we want to know why God is so often "silent" when we pray to him. Anthony DeStefano knew there had to be an answer to this mystery, so he set out on a quest to find prayers that God says yes to all the time. The result is an extraordinary new book that has the ability to dramatically change the lives of readers of all faiths. Each short, powerful prayer addresses a particular problem people commonly face in life--from accepting the existence of God to trying to make ends meet; from getting through terrible suffering to coping with everyday stress; from overcoming fear to finding your God-given destiny.… (more)

30 wanted3 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,283,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible