Please, Baby, Please by Spike Lee

Please, Baby, Please

by Spike Lee

This book is very well illustrated. Other than that, it is disappointing. The repetition of "baby" and "please" is different on every page, and I can't seem to find a pattern to it, though my brain naturally wants to look for one. This just makes it an irritating detractor from the funny things the baby is doing. Spike Lee should stick to filmmaking.

A bilingual English/Spanish version of this story was included in Cheerios boxes as part of the "Spoonfuls of Stories" promotion. ( )
  quaintlittlehead | Jul 31, 2014 |
I liked this book for a few reasons. For one, I liked the language used in the book because it consists of a basic pattern. Each page has a short phrase and ends with “please, baby, please.” Each page is also written in English and then at the bottom of the page is written in Spanish. This is helpful for students learning English or students trying to learn Spanish because they are simple, basic patterns. I also liked the illustrations because they supported the text. Since this book would be helpful for students to learn different languages, the illustrations help to support the text and create a visual of the meaning. Finally, I liked the characters because they are believable. The story is about a young child and her parents. Each page describes what the mother wants or does not want the child to do. Most of the pages reflect how the mother would like her child to behave. I think this can be relatable to students because their mother may tell them the proper way to behave in different situations. The big message of Please, Baby, Please is that your family wants the best for you. At the end of the story, the young child realizes this and appreciates her mom by saying, “kiss me good night? Mama, Mama, Mama, please.” ( )
  Kgranit | Apr 17, 2014 |
Book Fair seller! Funny fun read. My son made me read this book to him two and three times a night. ( )
  June_Clark | Feb 16, 2014 |
Baby is doing thing's that parents don't wont children to do.
Source: Pierce County Library
  MindyEwing | Dec 1, 2013 |
Please baby please, go through the day with the little girl and her father or mother say please to her through out the day and that night, her other tucks her in say "Please baby have a good night".
  rjames1071 | Nov 13, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0689834578, Paperback)

Filmmaker Spike Lee and wife Tonya Lewis Lee join the ranks of other celebrity kids' book writers with their sweet, rhythmic read-along about the endless energy of a toddler blasting through a busy day.

The Lees' diapered dynamo starts early (the VCR reads 3:01 a.m.), with the little girl outlasting her mama sprawled out on the living room floor ("Go back to bed, baby, please, baby, please"). A breakfast of upturned Cheerios follows a few hours later ("Not on your HEAD, baby baby baby, please!"), then play time, a trip to the playground, dinner, and a bath ("Please don't splash, baby baby, please, baby!"). The fun repetition doesn't change up until the book's sweet close, as the curly-haired tyke somehow can't get to sleep ("Kiss me good night? Mama, Mama, Mama, please").

The Lees have as much or more success than their high-profile counterparts (Jerry Seinfeld: Halloween, John Lithgow: Marsupial Sue; and Jamie Lee Curtis: I'm Gonna Like Me: Letting Off a Little Self-Esteem), thanks in large part to their excellent choice of illustrator Kadir Nelson, whose work has appeared everywhere from Sports Illustrated to the New Yorker. Just as he did with Will Smith's Just the Two of Us, Nelson uses his enormous talent to inject energy and emotion into each richly colored, Rockwellian spread. (Baby to preschool) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:02 -0400)

A toddler's antics keep his mother busy as she tries to feed him, watch him on the playground, give him a bath, and put him to bed.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,120,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible