Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie

Sleeping Murder (original 1976; edition 1976)

by Agatha Christie

Member:jburlinson
Title:Sleeping Murder
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Dodd, Mead (1976), Hardcover
Rating:**1/2
Tags:Mystery

Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie (1976)

Nemesis by Agatha Christie (Porua)
    Porua: The motive and method reminds me a little of another Miss Marple mystery, Nemesis.

English (27)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  German (1)  All languages (33)
I remember this being amongst my favorite Agatha Christie novels when I read it in high school..way back in the 1980s. ( )
  cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
The first thing that struck me is that this doesn't really feel like Miss Marple's "last case". Jane Marple is old but not as old as she is in NEMESIS. She is still able to travel, garden etc.

Secondly I think the writing style is actually Christie at her peak, and a little better than in CURTAIN, Poirot's last case.

I have actually read SLEEPING MURDER before, and seen TV adaptations, so the story was not new, and I had a vague memory of how it resolved.

In contrast, I had never before, as far as I can remember, read CURTAIN, and I have resolved to look for David Suchet's adaptation.

So this is the end of my journey, the last novel in my Agatha Christie Reading Challenge, to read her novels more or less in order of publication. It is a journey that began just on six years ago, although I had read many of the novels in paperback form in the late 1960s. Future blog posts will be used to explore some of what I have learnt in my journey.

There aren't similarities between CURTAIN and SLEEPING MURDER.
* both contain references to Shakespeare's Othello
* both contain references to X who is a murderer - in CURTAIN he pushes others to commit murder even if he doesn't commit it himself; in SLEEPING MURDER he appears to be the person actually responsible for Gwenda's stepmother's disappearance.

Miss Marple doesn't seem to play a large role in SLEEPING MURDER, more that of a consultant, although she does carry out some investigation herself. She does suggest to Gwenda a possible solution for her memories about the cottage Hillside, and then arranges to take a short holiday in Dillmouth at a B and B, which puts her right on the spot to give advice to the young couple.

In the long run a good read. ( )
  smik | Oct 28, 2014 |
Newlyweds Gwen and Giles Reed purchase a home in England; so much about their new house seems familiar to Gwen: the wallpaper, a hidden door, the view from the nursery. Gwen has a feeling she has been here before and may have witnessed the murder of a strange woman. With the help of their savvy friend Miss Jane Marple the Reeds unravel a dangerous mystery. This mystery is typical Agatha Christie with lots of characters, twists and turns. Sleeping Murder, the final mystery solved by Jane Marple, was published posthumously. ( )
  shsunon | Aug 26, 2014 |
Who does not know Agatha Christie, the writer who was the Queen of Detective Fiction, the Woman of Mystery? Her last novel (Sleeping Murder) was published posthumously in the UK by the Collins Crime Club in October 1976. Even the origin of the novel is exciting. This novel was written during WWII and she gave the publishing rights to her husband in case of her death in order to cover the costs of her possible funeral. What hard times could those be? It is said her last mystery was the most perfect among her works.
As I am an AC fun, one of my favourite stories is Sleeping Murder: Miss Marple’s Last Case (also known as Cover Her Face). Let me awake your interest towards this novel by a short taste. Of course, the killer's identity remains a mystery.
A beautiful young lady, the newlywed Gwenda Reed travels to the south coast of England to find a new home for her and her husband. She fall in love with a house at first sight, then she can see mysterious pictures. She can see a path where really was a path earlier, she saw the wallpaper with poppy pattern that was on the wall many years ago, she always wants to go through the wall that place where a door was previously. Finally, she has a vision of a murder… Soon Mr. Reed came home too, and the couple starts to explore the case. Naturally, Miss Marple, the elderly spinster from St. Mary Mead, also appears and begins to investigate the murder. Finally, she unveils the culprit…
The style of the story is the well known. The elegant, fictional world, where everybody has secrets, the past and present met, where we can see many possible psychological motives for murder. Eventually the culprit is revealed. Riveting reading material.
(WEIG32)
  Botondolo | Apr 14, 2014 |
With a premise similar to that of Five Little Pigs or Nemesis - the investigation into a murder that's decades old - I would have expected a better novel. It wasn't abysmal but then again nothing stood out either. The characters are forgettable and flat and Christie should have made the house it's set in more atmospheric, I never really got a feel of the place and yet she does atmosphere so well when she wants to. Shame. Really should have ended the Marple novels with Nemesis, which is such a strong book. Still an entertaining read. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cole, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gjerløw, TuridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leach, RosemaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schönfeld, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verheydt, J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gwenda Reed stood, shivering a little, on the quayside.
This is the main work for Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451200195, Mass Market Paperback)

A young bride is having trouble settling in to their home. Feelings of unnatural dread are taking their toll. And when Miss Marple investigates, she learns how truthful-and terrifying-the imagination can be.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:21 -0400)

A young bride, sent by her husband to look for a suitable house, finds the one that seems meant for her, a charming Victorian villa called Hillside.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,153,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible