Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie

Sleeping Murder (original 1976; edition 1976)

by Agatha Christie

Title:Sleeping Murder
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Dodd, Mead (1976), Hardcover

Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie (1976)

Nemesis by Agatha Christie (Porua)
    Porua: The motive and method reminds me a little of another Miss Marple mystery, Nemesis.

English (29)  Spanish (3)  Danish (2)  German (1)  All languages (35)
Last of the Marples (1976) but written some 30 years before which accounts for problems of internal chronology (Col. Bantry is back from the grave, etc.). Meandering investigation, obvious culprit. Climax features a bit of unintentional slapstick as Marple fends off a killer with a garden syringe of soapy water. Nerdy Christie trivia: The crazy old lady babbling about "your poor child" shows up again in By the Pricking of My Thumbs; her presence here is pretty uncanny. ( )
  middlemarchhare | Nov 25, 2015 |
A good Miss Marple whodunit. ( )
  cazfrancis | Sep 25, 2015 |
I remember this being amongst my favorite Agatha Christie novels when I read it in high school..way back in the 1980s. ( )
  cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
The first thing that struck me is that this doesn't really feel like Miss Marple's "last case". Jane Marple is old but not as old as she is in NEMESIS. She is still able to travel, garden etc.

Secondly I think the writing style is actually Christie at her peak, and a little better than in CURTAIN, Poirot's last case.

I have actually read SLEEPING MURDER before, and seen TV adaptations, so the story was not new, and I had a vague memory of how it resolved.

In contrast, I had never before, as far as I can remember, read CURTAIN, and I have resolved to look for David Suchet's adaptation.

So this is the end of my journey, the last novel in my Agatha Christie Reading Challenge, to read her novels more or less in order of publication. It is a journey that began just on six years ago, although I had read many of the novels in paperback form in the late 1960s. Future blog posts will be used to explore some of what I have learnt in my journey.

There aren't similarities between CURTAIN and SLEEPING MURDER.
* both contain references to Shakespeare's Othello
* both contain references to X who is a murderer - in CURTAIN he pushes others to commit murder even if he doesn't commit it himself; in SLEEPING MURDER he appears to be the person actually responsible for Gwenda's stepmother's disappearance.

Miss Marple doesn't seem to play a large role in SLEEPING MURDER, more that of a consultant, although she does carry out some investigation herself. She does suggest to Gwenda a possible solution for her memories about the cottage Hillside, and then arranges to take a short holiday in Dillmouth at a B and B, which puts her right on the spot to give advice to the young couple.

In the long run a good read. ( )
  smik | Oct 28, 2014 |
Newlyweds Gwen and Giles Reed purchase a home in England; so much about their new house seems familiar to Gwen: the wallpaper, a hidden door, the view from the nursery. Gwen has a feeling she has been here before and may have witnessed the murder of a strange woman. With the help of their savvy friend Miss Jane Marple the Reeds unravel a dangerous mystery. This mystery is typical Agatha Christie with lots of characters, twists and turns. Sleeping Murder, the final mystery solved by Jane Marple, was published posthumously. ( )
  shsunon | Aug 26, 2014 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cole, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gjerløw, TuridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leach, RosemaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schönfeld, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verheydt, J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gwenda Reed stood, shivering a little, on the quayside.
This is the main work for Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie. Please do not combine with any adaptation, abridgement, etc.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451200195, Mass Market Paperback)

A young bride is having trouble settling in to their home. Feelings of unnatural dread are taking their toll. And when Miss Marple investigates, she learns how truthful-and terrifying-the imagination can be.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:21 -0400)

A young bride, sent by her husband to look for a suitable house, finds the one that seems meant for her, a charming Victorian villa called Hillside.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,875,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible