Antologia di Spoon River by Edgar Lee…

Antologia di Spoon River (original 1914; edition 1943)

by Edgar Lee Masters

The dead arise from their sleep in the cemetery of a small town to tell their individual stories about an entire community caught in a web of scandal, sin, and vice in the early twentieth century.
Member:sbonzix
Title:Antologia di Spoon River
Authors:Edgar Lee Masters
Info:Einaudi (1985), Paperback, 116 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:poetry, Finished

Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters (1914)

Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (kxlly)
    The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather (kxlly)
    Main Street by Sinclair Lewis (kxlly)
    Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders (benjclark)
    benjclark: A collection of fascinating, well-written tales that weave into a whole. Amazing!
    Our Town by Thornton Wilder (kxlly)

English (27)  Italian (5)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (36)
Heard about this for the first time while reading Richard Price's Samaritan. It's a tremendous achievement. Witty and dour, morbid and feather-light. I will have to dip back into it again for all human life can be found within. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Whether because of emotional connections to the moments when I discovered individual poems, or the fact that such close study in acting class yoked me to this book (both figuratively and literally), I adore Masters' concept and his execution. It is perhaps not perfect, and yet could anyone pull this off personally? Either way, I'm never going to be objective about this book, so I shan't waste time trying! ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
love it every time ( )
  armysquirrel | Jan 1, 2018 |
I really love the concept of this book. I thought there were very few poems that would work as stand-alone pieces, but I thought the way the characters were in conversation with one another was fantastic. I imagine that I might find even more connections and thereby like the book better with re-reading, though I can't promise I'll actually follow through with testing that theory. As a writer, I was very inspired to translate some of the ideas going on here to my own work, so I'm glad I finally got to it. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
I read this after seeing the play version and absolutely fell in love with Masters stories. ( )
  caseybp | Jan 19, 2016 |

Masters, Edgar Leeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bjerke, AndréTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hollander, JohnIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pivano , FernandaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porta, AntonioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where are Elmer, Herman, Bert, Tom and Charley,
The weak of will, the strong of arm, the clown, the boozer, the fighter?
E un giudice, un giudice con la faccia da uomo
mi spedì a sfogliare i tramonti in prigione
inutile al mondo ed alle mie dita
bollato per sempre truffatore imbroglione
dottor professor truffatore imbroglione.

«Dormono, dormono, dormono tutti quanti sulla collina.» Duecentoquarantatré lapidi nel cimitero di Spoon River raccontano altrettante vite, inchiodando ciascun personaggio all'attimo decisivo della sua esistenza. Ricordi, paesaggi, immagini, gesti sono riassunti in un breve rosario di parole, richiamati in vita dalle voci che parlano dalle tombe. "Vite di uomini non illustri" si potrebbe definire questa grande commedia di caratteri, questo esemplare catalogo di ruoli, quest'ironica, commovente e universale enciclopedia di dolori, rimpianti ed emozioni.
(piopas)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,820,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible