The Memoirs of Helen of Troy by Amanda Elyot

The Memoirs of Helen of Troy (2005)

by Amanda Elyot, Amanda Elyot

Η ιστορία της ωραίας Ελένης μέσα από ένα άλλο πρίσμα, μέσα από τη δική της ματιά. ( )
  GeorgiaKo | May 27, 2016 |
This novel was not to my taste! Sometimes too melodramatic, sometimes saccharine and much too filled with sex scenes, badly written at that. It was too much of a departure from the Trojan War story for me. I think people would be much better off reading the original Iliad and Odyssey. Helen made herself the center of the world; self-absorbed and bragging how SHE influenced the main incidents of the war--e.g., only through her submitting to Achilles was Priam able to recover Hector's body; SHE influenced the Achilles heel incident.

Only for those who are interested in all retellings of Helen's story, no matter how far-fetched. ( )
  janerawoof | Oct 11, 2015 |
I picked up this book on the bargain shelf at my local bookstore, so I wasn't expecting great things. But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I was a little put off by the short length of the book, only because I like longer, engaging stories, but thought a short, light read might be well worth it.

This is not a "great" book, but it is a good book and I did enjoy reading it. I liked that the gods played some part in the book, though I would have enjoyed a little more. I found that the first part of the story was the most enjoyable part, up until Paris arrives. I didn't find their love for each other particularly believable, seeing as it seemed to be based purely on lust, which never went away. Although, she was the most beautiful woman in the world, and never lost her youthful beautiful looks, so maybe that is possible. Hector and Andromache do play a part in this book, but I really would have liked more about them. In fact, it has inspired me to look for books written from either Hector or Andromache's point of view.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a light, short read. It's worth reading once, but I do not think I will pick it up again. But if you are interested in Helen of Troy, then read this story, as well as Helen of Troy by Margaret George. This book is definately aimed toward women readers. ( )
  LadyofWinterfell | Apr 3, 2008 |
Although I couldn't put this down I wouldn't rate it as being a truly great book. The writing was well done, but the story itself was far fetched, tended to drag at times and also skipped years of Helen's life with the turn of a page. A plethora of mythological figures were part of the cast of characters. Too many in fact to make the story even slightly believable. A shame really as the writing itself was good, it was just the storytelling itself was lacking. ( )
  CozyLover | Feb 6, 2008 |

Amanda Elyotprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elyot, Amandamain authorall editionsconfirmed

History’s Greatest BeautyTells the Story of Her Life

Gossips began whispering about Princess Helen from the moment of her birth. A daughter of the royal house of Sparta, she was not the progeny of King Tyndareus, they murmured, but of Zeus, king of the gods. Her mother, Queen Leda, a powerful priestess, was branded an adulteress, with tragic consequences. As Helen grew to adulthood her beauty was so breathtaking it overshadowed that of every woman in Sparta. When she was kidnapped by Theseus, king of Athens, in a gambit to replenish his kingdom’s coffers, she was relieved to get away from the place where she had been so unhappy.

Helen fell in love with the much older Theseus, and to his surprise, he returned the feelings. But soon Helen was forced to return to Sparta and was hastily married off to the tepid Menelaus for the sake of an advantageous political alliance. After years of marriage, the spirited, passionate Helen was not the docile wife King Menelaus desired, and when she fell in love with another man—Paris Alexandros, the prodigal son of King Priam of Troy—Helen unwittingly set the stage for the ultimate conflict: a war that would destroy nearly all she held dear.

In this lush, compelling novel of passion and loss, Helen of Troy, a true survivor, tells the truth about her life, her lovers, and the Trojan War. This is the memoir that she has written—her legendary beauty still undimmed by age.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

Gossips began whispering about Princess Helen from the moment of her birth. A daughter of the royal house of Sparta, she was not truly the progeny of King Tyndareus, they murmured, but of Zeus, king of the gods. Her mother, Queen Leda, a powerful priestess, was branded an adulteress, with tragic consequences. To complicate matters, as Helen grew to adulthood her beauty was so breathtaking that it overshadowed even that of her jealous sister, Clytemnestra, making her even more of an outcast within her own family. So it came as something of a relief to her when she was kidnapped by Theseus, king of Athens, in a gambit to replenish his kingdom's coffers.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,464,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible