The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie

The A.B.C. Murders (original 1936; edition 1971)

by Agatha Christie

Member:mmyoung
Title:The A.B.C. Murders
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Pocket Book (1971), Edition: 27th THUS, Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Your library, Print, Read
Tags:mystery, agatha christie

The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie (1936)

English (55)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Chinese (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (64)
Another Agatha Christie that I hadn't read. She was prolific! This one did fool me, and that made it even more fun. Hercules Poirot receives a letter saying that a murder will be committed in the town of Andover on the 21st of the month. It also taunts Poirot - "Let us see, Mr. clever Poirot, just how clever you can be. Perhaps you'll find this nut too hard to crack.". Poirot is disturbed by the letter, but the police are sceptical, until a woman by the name of Ascher is found dead. There is still some doubt in their minds, due to the fact that the woman's husband is a drunk who has threatened in the past to take her life. There was an A B C Railway Guide found near the body. Coincidence? Then, Poirot receives another taunting letter. The murder will take place in a town starting with B, and the race is on to find a maniac.

Poirot is as vain as always. He has dyed his hair, and he is still very proud of his mustaches. ( )
  NanaCC | May 16, 2016 |
I love older mystery novels and Agatha Christie is the ultimate author in that genre. I always love to curl up with one of her mysteries for a fun read. The ABC Murders features a murderer who kills by letters of the alphabet, down to the letters of their names and the city they live in. All in all a very enjoyable read! ( )
  Hanneri | Mar 26, 2016 |
This was my first book by Agatha Christie. Fascinating study in perspective. And Hercule Poirot is a charming, if irritating sleuth. A serial killer makes the mistake of writing to Poirot - really his *only* mistake. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
A cleverly-written book featuring Poirot, who tries to solve a series of apparently arbitrary murders. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

I liked this book up until the end and we found out who "Really" done-it.

Col. Hastings is visiting from his Ranch in South America & visiting (a retired) Monsieur Poirot when a murder is announced (yes, that's another title from a different book) via letter to Monsieur Poirot, on such a date in Andover there will be a murder. The victim's name begins w/ A. The letter is signed A.B.C.

In a bit of time another letter arrives... taunting Poirot... On such a date in the town of B..... A young waitress, Betty B, is found strangled on the beach.... she was stepping out on an extremely jealous fiance. Again the letter is signed A.B.C.

So-on & so-forth.... C; a well off man whose first & last name begin w/ "C", collects china pieces and whose wife is ill w/ cancer and D towns as well......

Except in D-town the person murdered last name begins w/ "E"......

What ties them all together is the London Train A.B.C. maps and a man selling silk stockings......

In the interim, several of the relations of the victims come together w/ Poirot & Hastings and form a detecting group....

The ending, how does Christie come up w/ these things? No one could really ever figure them out.... Yer Monsieur Poirot, just puts his little grey cells to it and "Voila"!

The book held my interest (I read & finished it in bed last night).... There was one really glaring bit of racism: having an immovable face like that of a Red Indian........ Wow, really?

Also, there was a certain bit of psychology (about liars & schemers & psychopaths) that reminded me of the Troll that I worked with......

I am trying to read them all..... but obviously not in order, just by what is available @ the Library when I go in. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mallorquí, J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suomalainen, AuneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wardle, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To James Watts
One of my most sympathetic readers
In this narrative of mine I have departed from my usual practice of relating only those incidents and scenes at which I myself was present. (Foreword by Captain Arthur Hastings, O.B.E.)
It was in June of 1935 that I came home from my ranch in South America for a stay of about six months.
Crime is terribly revealing. Try and vary your methods as you will, your tastes, your habits, your attitude of mind, and your soul is revealed by your actions. (Hercule Poirot)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042513024X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Alice Ascher is murdered in Andover, Hercule Poirot is already on to the clues. Alphabetically speaking, it's one down, twenty-five to go.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:04 -0400)

In one of Christie's most twisted tales, Poirot must navigate the mind of a serial killer as he systematically kills his way through the alphabet.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,810,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible