The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie

The A.B.C. Murders (original 1936; edition 1983)

by Agatha Christie

Title:The A.B.C. Murders
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:BANTAM BOOKS (1983), Hardcover
Tags:fiction, murder, anonymous letters, psychology, profiling, cozy mystery

The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie (1936)

English (48)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Chinese (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (57)
I nearly guessed this one. The plot is a little bit of a stretch of the imagination, but an entertaining read nonetheless. ( )
  cazfrancis | Sep 25, 2015 |
The ABC Murders again contain a truly original plot idea from Agatha Christie. The twist at the end is unexpected. Perhaps too unexpected. For the first time in the Poitor series, I wasn't even looking for a particular murderer, since he is so clearly introduced to the reader from the very beginning. It therefore didn't read like a detective's narrative, but rather like a police/crime story.

Amazing to see how Christie keeps on managing to find truly original plot layouts in this amazing Poitor series. ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
One of my early Christies, and a good one despite a highly improbable and meticulous plot. Hercule Poirot receives a disturbing letter from an apparent madman, announcing the date and location of a future murder. The writer signs himself "ABC," and when the letter proves to be more than a hoax, an ABC Railway Guide is found next to the body of the murdered woman, Alice Ascher. But A is just the beginning. Betty Barnard is next, and then Sir Carmichael Clarke — and all seemingly for the sole purpose of baiting Poirot to match wits with a homicidal maniac.

Some of the characters are a bit one dimensional. The solution to the mystery is rather complicated. There's a big fat red herring so big, fat, and red that it's almost unsporting. But I don't care. Hastings is still humorous, the story moves along at a good clip, the dialogue flows naturally, and of course, Hercule Poirot does his thing. It's just plain entertaining and isn't that why we read Agatha Christie in the first place? Fun stuff. ( )
  wisewoman | Dec 27, 2014 |
Regarded as a classic but definitely not one of y favorite; murders seemingly linked to a British railway guide. ( )
  antiquary | Oct 18, 2014 |
I did know the basic framework of this one but still highly enjoyable. I'm all done with Dama Agatha, though, where will I go next?
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suomalainen, AuneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To James Watts / One of my most sympathetic readers
In this narrative of mine I have departed from my usual practice of relating only those incidents and scenes at which I myself was present. (Foreword by Captain Arthur Hastings, O.B.E.)
It was in June of 1935 that I came home from my ranch in South America for a stay of about six months.
Crime is terribly revealing. Try and vary your methods as you will, your tastes, your habits, your attitude of mind, and your soul is revealed by your actions. (Hercule Poirot)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042513024X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Alice Ascher is murdered in Andover, Hercule Poirot is already on to the clues. Alphabetically speaking, it's one down, twenty-five to go.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:04 -0400)

In one of Christie's most twisted tales, Poirot must navigate the mind of a serial killer as he systematically kills his way through the alphabet.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,784,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible