The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie

The A.B.C. Murders (original 1936; edition 1983)

by Agatha Christie

Title:The A.B.C. Murders
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Bantam Books (1983), Edition: 4th Printing, Leather Bound
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Mystery, Classic

The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie (1936)

English (57)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Chinese (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (66)
really good ( )
  katcoviello | Sep 21, 2016 |
The A.B.C. Murders – Agatha Christie-
Audio performance by Hugh Fraser
4 stars

“Mr. Hercule Poirot,—You fancy yourself, don’t you, at solving mysteries that are too difficult for our poor thick-headed British police? Let us see, Mr Clever Poirot, just how clever you can be. Perhaps you’ll find this nut too hard to crack. Look out for Andover, on the 21st of the month. Yours, etc., A B C.”

A serial killer with an alphabetical compulsion sends mocking letters to Poirot announcing his intentions. Captain Hastings, temporarily returned to England from his South American ranchito, relates the story with occasional chapters labeled, ‘Not from Captain Hastings personal narrative’. And when will I ever learn ? With Agatha Christie it’s not ever the most likely suspect. Or is it? This mystery was a bit more suspenseful than some of the other Poirot stories. As usual it kept me guessing while I completed my mundane household chores.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Another Agatha Christie that I hadn't read. She was prolific! This one did fool me, and that made it even more fun. Hercules Poirot receives a letter saying that a murder will be committed in the town of Andover on the 21st of the month. It also taunts Poirot - "Let us see, Mr. clever Poirot, just how clever you can be. Perhaps you'll find this nut too hard to crack.". Poirot is disturbed by the letter, but the police are sceptical, until a woman by the name of Ascher is found dead. There is still some doubt in their minds, due to the fact that the woman's husband is a drunk who has threatened in the past to take her life. There was an A B C Railway Guide found near the body. Coincidence? Then, Poirot receives another taunting letter. The murder will take place in a town starting with B, and the race is on to find a maniac.

Poirot is as vain as always. He has dyed his hair, and he is still very proud of his mustaches. ( )
  NanaCC | May 16, 2016 |
I love older mystery novels and Agatha Christie is the ultimate author in that genre. I always love to curl up with one of her mysteries for a fun read. The ABC Murders features a murderer who kills by letters of the alphabet, down to the letters of their names and the city they live in. All in all a very enjoyable read! ( )
  Hanneri | Mar 26, 2016 |
This was my first book by Agatha Christie. Fascinating study in perspective. And Hercule Poirot is a charming, if irritating sleuth. A serial killer makes the mistake of writing to Poirot - really his *only* mistake. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mallorquí, J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suomalainen, AuneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wardle, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To James Watts
One of my most sympathetic readers
In this narrative of mine I have departed from my usual practice of relating only those incidents and scenes at which I myself was present. (Foreword by Captain Arthur Hastings, O.B.E.)
It was in June of 1935 that I came home from my ranch in South America for a stay of about six months.
Crime is terribly revealing. Try and vary your methods as you will, your tastes, your habits, your attitude of mind, and your soul is revealed by your actions. (Hercule Poirot)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042513024X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Alice Ascher is murdered in Andover, Hercule Poirot is already on to the clues. Alphabetically speaking, it's one down, twenty-five to go.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:04 -0400)

In one of Christie's most twisted tales, Poirot must navigate the mind of a serial killer as he systematically kills his way through the alphabet.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,827,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible