The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie

The A.B.C. Murders (original 1936; edition 1983)

by Agatha Christie

Member:TheFlamingoReads
Title:The A.B.C. Murders
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Bantam Books (1983), Edition: 4th Printing, Leather Bound
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Mystery, Classic

The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie (1936)

English (53)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Chinese (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (62)
This was my first book by Agatha Christie. Fascinating study in perspective. And Hercule Poirot is a charming, if irritating sleuth. A serial killer makes the mistake of writing to Poirot - really his *only* mistake. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
A cleverly-written book featuring Poirot, who tries to solve a series of apparently arbitrary murders. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

I liked this book up until the end and we found out who "Really" done-it.

Col. Hastings is visiting from his Ranch in South America & visiting (a retired) Monsieur Poirot when a murder is announced (yes, that's another title from a different book) via letter to Monsieur Poirot, on such a date in Andover there will be a murder. The victim's name begins w/ A. The letter is signed A.B.C.

In a bit of time another letter arrives... taunting Poirot... On such a date in the town of B..... A young waitress, Betty B, is found strangled on the beach.... she was stepping out on an extremely jealous fiance. Again the letter is signed A.B.C.

So-on & so-forth.... C; a well off man whose first & last name begin w/ "C", collects china pieces and whose wife is ill w/ cancer and D towns as well......

Except in D-town the person murdered last name begins w/ "E"......

What ties them all together is the London Train A.B.C. maps and a man selling silk stockings......

In the interim, several of the relations of the victims come together w/ Poirot & Hastings and form a detecting group....

The ending, how does Christie come up w/ these things? No one could really ever figure them out.... Yer Monsieur Poirot, just puts his little grey cells to it and "Voila"!

The book held my interest (I read & finished it in bed last night).... There was one really glaring bit of racism: having an immovable face like that of a Red Indian........ Wow, really?

Also, there was a certain bit of psychology (about liars & schemers & psychopaths) that reminded me of the Troll that I worked with......

I am trying to read them all..... but obviously not in order, just by what is available @ the Library when I go in. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
When famous detective Hercule Poirot receives an anonymous letter warning him that a murder will be committed, something about the letter seems strange enough to him that he takes the threat seriously. As promised, Alice Ascher of Andover is found dead, followed by Betty Barnard of Bexhill and Carmichael Clarke of Churston, all killed by the mysterious author of the letters to Poirot signed A.B.C. Monsieur Poirot’s only option is to use his little grey cells to help the police find the murderer before he makes it through the whole alphabet.

Christie’s novels are always enjoyable to read. The solution to this one was a bit of a stretch for me, but that’s what Christie’s known for. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
Audio book performed by Hugh Fraser
3.5***

When Captain Arthur Hastings returns to England from his ranch in South America he knows he must call upon his old friend Hercule Poirot. Poirot is retired, but takes the occasional special case – “the cream of crime.” He shares with Hastings a letter he has received, challenging him to solve what will happen in “Andover on the 21st of the month,” and signed simply A B C. Sure enough a Mrs Ascher who runs a tobacco shop in Andover is found murdered, a copy of the ABC railway table left open on the counter next to her body. The next letter directs Poirot to a town beginning with B; and the murder victim’s name begins with B. The police are baffled because there are no witnesses and no obvious clues – except for the ABC railway guides found with each body. But Poirot’s little grey cells are working overtime and he focuses his analysis on the psychology of the likely killer.

First published in 1936 this is Christie at her best. There are plenty of clues though only a seasoned detective will recognize all of them. As is typical of “cozy mysteries” the murder happens off-page – we may find a dead body, but will not be treated to the gristly and violent details of the murder itself. Christie includes a fair amount of explanation on the psychology of the serial killer (or “homicidal maniac”). And I really enjoy the humorous banter between Poirot and Hastings.

Hugh Fraser does a very good job of the audio. He is able to give each character a unique voice and does a very good job bringing Poirot to life.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suomalainen, AuneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wardle, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To James Watts / One of my most sympathetic readers
In this narrative of mine I have departed from my usual practice of relating only those incidents and scenes at which I myself was present. (Foreword by Captain Arthur Hastings, O.B.E.)
It was in June of 1935 that I came home from my ranch in South America for a stay of about six months.
Crime is terribly revealing. Try and vary your methods as you will, your tastes, your habits, your attitude of mind, and your soul is revealed by your actions. (Hercule Poirot)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042513024X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Alice Ascher is murdered in Andover, Hercule Poirot is already on to the clues. Alphabetically speaking, it's one down, twenty-five to go.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:04 -0400)

In one of Christie's most twisted tales, Poirot must navigate the mind of a serial killer as he systematically kills his way through the alphabet.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,150,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible