The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie

The A.B.C. Murders (original 1936; edition 1983)

by Agatha Christie

Member:TheFlamingoReads
Title:The A.B.C. Murders
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Bantam Books (1983), Edition: 4th Printing, Leather Bound
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Mystery, Classic

The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie (1936)

English (54)  Danish (2)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Chinese (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (63)
I love older mystery novels and Agatha Christie is the ultimate author in that genre. I always love to curl up with one of her mysteries for a fun read. The ABC Murders features a murderer who kills by letters of the alphabet, down to the letters of their names and the city they live in. All in all a very enjoyable read! ( )
  Hanneri | Mar 26, 2016 |
This was my first book by Agatha Christie. Fascinating study in perspective. And Hercule Poirot is a charming, if irritating sleuth. A serial killer makes the mistake of writing to Poirot - really his *only* mistake. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
A cleverly-written book featuring Poirot, who tries to solve a series of apparently arbitrary murders. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

I liked this book up until the end and we found out who "Really" done-it.

Col. Hastings is visiting from his Ranch in South America & visiting (a retired) Monsieur Poirot when a murder is announced (yes, that's another title from a different book) via letter to Monsieur Poirot, on such a date in Andover there will be a murder. The victim's name begins w/ A. The letter is signed A.B.C.

In a bit of time another letter arrives... taunting Poirot... On such a date in the town of B..... A young waitress, Betty B, is found strangled on the beach.... she was stepping out on an extremely jealous fiance. Again the letter is signed A.B.C.

So-on & so-forth.... C; a well off man whose first & last name begin w/ "C", collects china pieces and whose wife is ill w/ cancer and D towns as well......

Except in D-town the person murdered last name begins w/ "E"......

What ties them all together is the London Train A.B.C. maps and a man selling silk stockings......

In the interim, several of the relations of the victims come together w/ Poirot & Hastings and form a detecting group....

The ending, how does Christie come up w/ these things? No one could really ever figure them out.... Yer Monsieur Poirot, just puts his little grey cells to it and "Voila"!

The book held my interest (I read & finished it in bed last night).... There was one really glaring bit of racism: having an immovable face like that of a Red Indian........ Wow, really?

Also, there was a certain bit of psychology (about liars & schemers & psychopaths) that reminded me of the Troll that I worked with......

I am trying to read them all..... but obviously not in order, just by what is available @ the Library when I go in. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
When famous detective Hercule Poirot receives an anonymous letter warning him that a murder will be committed, something about the letter seems strange enough to him that he takes the threat seriously. As promised, Alice Ascher of Andover is found dead, followed by Betty Barnard of Bexhill and Carmichael Clarke of Churston, all killed by the mysterious author of the letters to Poirot signed A.B.C. Monsieur Poirot’s only option is to use his little grey cells to help the police find the murderer before he makes it through the whole alphabet.

Christie’s novels are always enjoyable to read. The solution to this one was a bit of a stretch for me, but that’s what Christie’s known for. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mallorquí, J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suomalainen, AuneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wardle, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To James Watts
One of my most sympathetic readers
In this narrative of mine I have departed from my usual practice of relating only those incidents and scenes at which I myself was present. (Foreword by Captain Arthur Hastings, O.B.E.)
It was in June of 1935 that I came home from my ranch in South America for a stay of about six months.
Crime is terribly revealing. Try and vary your methods as you will, your tastes, your habits, your attitude of mind, and your soul is revealed by your actions. (Hercule Poirot)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042513024X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Alice Ascher is murdered in Andover, Hercule Poirot is already on to the clues. Alphabetically speaking, it's one down, twenty-five to go.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:04 -0400)

In one of Christie's most twisted tales, Poirot must navigate the mind of a serial killer as he systematically kills his way through the alphabet.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible