The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie

The A.B.C. Murders (original 1936; edition 1983)

by Agatha Christie

Member:TheFlamingoReads
Title:The A.B.C. Murders
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Bantam Books (1983), Edition: 4th Printing, Leather Bound
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Mystery, Classic

The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie (1936)

English (46)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Spanish (1)  Chinese (1)  French (1)  All languages (53)
Regarded as a classic but definitely not one of y favorite; murders seemingly linked to a British railway guide. ( )
  antiquary | Oct 18, 2014 |
I did know the basic framework of this one but still highly enjoyable. I'm all done with Dama Agatha, though, where will I go next?
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |
I had forgotten how good Agatha Christie was as a writer. I thoroughly enjoyed The ABC Murders and plan to read more of her works. ( )
  Philip100 | Apr 30, 2014 |
'The ABC Murders' by Agatha Christie is another tale of Hercule Poirot, the famous Belgian sleuth (with his groomed mustaches). The book was also published as ‘The Alphabet Murders’. It is the story of continuous killings happening in the English alphabetical order and Poirot’s attempt to deduce the murderer by using his grey cells. The story takes place in Britain, near London, during the late 1800s to early 1900s. The story is told from the point of view of Captain Hastings, a friend of Poirot's. While I love reading Poirot mysteries, I get irritated by the stories having the personal narratives of Captain Hastings. It is like reading Sherlock Holmes mysteries where Dr. Watson plays a similar role. The resemblance is too similar to avoid. Compared to Dr. Watson, Captain Hastings is quite a dull character. He does not seem to add anything new to the story and just seems to be incorporated to give what we may call a ‘reader perspective’.

Even though the plot of this novel is lengthy and the actual crimes are not overly interesting, Poirot’s causal wit while solving crimes keeps readers involved. I am almost always hooked whenever I pick up a Poirot mystery and this one was not an exception. I do feel, however, that the boring descriptions could have been avoided. What I liked most about this book is the end part. It was brilliantly written and the twist was quite clever. While I have rated this book less enthusiastically, this book is not at all disappointing. ( )
  PankajGoyal | Nov 30, 2013 |
This is a different book for Christie. I wasn't expecting her to play with points of views like that but it was refreshing and gave the whole story an odd quality.
Very interesting plot and some hilarious lines of which here is a choice exemple -

'She really is a lovely girl,' I said.
'And wears very lovely clothes. That crepemarocain and the silver fox collar - dernier cri.'
'You're a man milliner, Poirot. I never notice what people have on.'
'You should join a nudist colony.'

RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suomalainen, AuneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To James Watts / One of my most sympathetic readers
In this narrative of mine I have departed from my usual practice of relating only those incidents and scenes at which I myself was present. (Foreword by Captain Arthur Hastings, O.B.E.)
It was in June of 1935 that I came home from my ranch in South America for a stay of about six months.
Crime is terribly revealing. Try and vary your methods as you will, your tastes, your habits, your attitude of mind, and your soul is revealed by your actions. (Hercule Poirot)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042513024X, Mass Market Paperback)

When Alice Ascher is murdered in Andover, Hercule Poirot is already on to the clues. Alphabetically speaking, it's one down, twenty-five to go.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:16 -0400)

In one of Christie's most twisted tales, Poirot must navigate the mind of a serial killer as he systematically kills his way through the alphabet.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,383,526 books! | Top bar: Always visible