The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

The Things They Carried (1990)

by Tim O'Brien

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (chrisharpe)
    Beaufort by Ron Leshem (SqueakyChu)
    Chickenhawk by Robert Mason (chrisharpe)
    The Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh (ateolf, chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: A similar novel, just as powerful - from the North Vietnamese perspective...
    A Rumor of War by Philip Caputo (mcenroeucsb)
    The Five O'Clock Follies: What's a Woman Doing Here, Anyway? by Theasa Tuohy (Preatarius)
    What It Is Like to Go to War by Karl Marlantes (TooBusyReading)
    Adjusting Sights by Haim Sabato (SqueakyChu)
    The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer (ateolf)
    Loon by Jack McLean (SqueakyChu)
    Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes (andyg227, chrisharpe)
    andyg227: An incredible journey of soldiers fighting and dying in the Vietnam War.
    The Iliad by Homer (jrgoetziii)
    jrgoetziii: Because The Iliad is a classic war story and The Things They Carried is not, but took a number of passages almost directly from The Iliad (one of these is the catalog in the first book, but there are many others, too). The Iliad covers significantly more range and depth, and its themes are timeless.… (more)

English (256)  Spanish (2)  All languages (258)
This book is terrific. It's about so much more than Vietnam: It's about truth, and how you get at it. The way that O'Brien weaves the threads among the various stories to form a kind of whole is extraordinarily well crafted. The writing itself - the use of language, the pacing... just great. Very moving as well, and although it's now over 25 years old, it seems just as applicable to current wars as anything more recently written. ( )
  meredk | May 4, 2016 |
Beautifully written and haunting. Just an incredible book. ( )
  akissner | Apr 11, 2016 |
Really a 4.5--just a brilliantly written book. So many stories that explore truth versus fiction, the ways men deal with the things they have to do in wartime, the effect of war on both men and women. The only flaw I found in this book was that sometimes it let down a bit for me. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
What I respect: O'Brien was drafted into service in Vietnam, stayed with his tour of duty and came home. Hardships he experienced I will never know. He has much skill as a writer.
What I do not trust: OBrien as writer of this book. Fictional stories based on actual or quasi-actual experiences is fine. We read these stories all the time. But don't offend your reader with coy feints of actuality interposed with admissions of fantasy, then doubled down on disingenuousness by relating your visit to Nam with your (nonexistent) daughter. To what end? Meta fiction? How fashionable.; Making, as you say, "story-truth" as surrogate for "happening truth"? Then why not stick with story-truth in which case you create a laudable collection of stories based loosely on your personal journey. Period, end. Or, were you caught out by one of your old buds and had to insert the "Good Form" chapter as recompense?
I rarely get annoyed with a writer. Sheez. ( )
  JamesMScott | Mar 24, 2016 |
"Many people think this is the best work of fiction ever written about Vietnam. Some even think it is the best work of fiction ever written about war. Both are right, and they were right 20 years ago when this book came out for the first time."

"As the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan drag on, O’Brien’s powerful depictions are as real today as ever."

"...he not only crystallizes the Vietnam experience for us, he exposes the nature of all war stories."

Tim O'Brienprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cranston, BryanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is essentially different from any other that has been published concerning the 'late war' or any of its incidents. Those who have had any such experience as the author will see its truthfulness at once, and to all other readers it is commended as a statement of actual things by one who experienced them to the fullest.
-- John Ransom's Andersonville Diary
This book is lovingly dedicated to the men of Alpha Company, and in particular to Jimmy Cross, Norman Bowker, Rat Kiley, Mitchell Sanders, Henry Dobbins, and Kiowa.
First Lieutenant Jimmy Cross carried letters from a girl named Martha, a junior at Mount Sebastian College in New Jersey. They werre not love letters, but Lieutenant Cross was hoping, so he kept them folded in plastic at the bottom of his rucksack.
It was my view then, and still is, that you don't make war without knowing why.

I was a coward. I went to the war.
Garden of Evil. Over here, man, every sin's real fresh and original.
"Well, right now," she said, "I'm not dead. But when I am, it's like . . . I don't know, I guess it's like being inside a book that nobody's reading."
I want you to know why story-truth is truer sometimes than happening-truth. Here is the happening-truth. I was once a soldier. There were many bodies, real bodies with real faces, but I was young then and I was afraid to look. And now, twenty years later, I'm left with faceless responsibility and faceless grief.

Here is the story-truth. He was a slim, dead, almost dainty young man of about twenty. He lay in the center of a red clay trail near the village of My Khe. His jaw was in his throat. His one eye was shut, the other eye was a star-shaped hole. I killed him.

What stories can do, I guess, is make things present.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0767902890, Paperback)

"They carried all the emotional baggage of men who might die. Grief, terror, love, longing--these were intangibles, but the intangibles had their own mass and specific gravity, they had tangible weight. They carried shameful memories. They carried the common secret of cowardice.... Men killed, and died, because they were embarrassed not to."

A finalist for both the 1990 Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Critics Circle Award, The Things They Carried marks a subtle but definitive line of demarcation between Tim O'Brien's earlier works about Vietnam, the memoir If I Die in a Combat Zone and the fictional Going After Cacciato, and this sly, almost hallucinatory book that is neither memoir nor novel nor collection of short stories but rather an artful combination of all three. Vietnam is still O'Brien's theme, but in this book he seems less interested in the war itself than in the myriad different perspectives from which he depicts it. Whereas Going After Cacciato played with reality, The Things They Carried plays with truth. The narrator of most of these stories is "Tim"; yet O'Brien freely admits that many of the events he chronicles in this collection never really happened. He never killed a man as "Tim" does in "The Man I Killed," and unlike Tim in "Ambush," he has no daughter named Kathleen. But just because a thing never happened doesn't make it any less true. In "On the Rainy River," the character Tim O'Brien responds to his draft notice by driving north, to the Canadian border where he spends six days in a deserted lodge in the company of an old man named Elroy while he wrestles with the choice between dodging the draft or going to war. The real Tim O'Brien never drove north, never found himself in a fishing boat 20 yards off the Canadian shore with a decision to make. The real Tim O'Brien quietly boarded the bus to Sioux Falls and was inducted into the United States Army. But the truth of "On the Rainy River" lies not in facts but in the genuineness of the experience it depicts: both Tims went to a war they didn't believe in; both considered themselves cowards for doing so. Every story in The Things They Carried speaks another truth that Tim O'Brien learned in Vietnam; it is this blurred line between truth and reality, fact and fiction, that makes his book unforgettable. --Alix Wilber

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:48 -0400)

This depicts the men of Alpha Company. They battle the enemy (or maybe more the idea of the enemy), and occasionally each other. In their relationships we see their isolation and loneliness, their rage and fear. They miss their families, their girlfriends and buddies; they miss the lives they left back home. Yet they find sympathy and kindness for strangers (the old man who leads them unscathed through the mine field, the girl who grieves while she dances), and love for each other, because in Vietnam they are the only family they have… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible