The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman

The Areas of My Expertise

by John Hodgman

This is not a sit-down-and-read-all-at-once book. This is a book to be kept somewhere where you may occasionally need to read a few pages to keep you occupied while waiting -- say, in your car for when the Brooklyn Bridge is inexplicably closed, causing a midnight traffic jam, or when you're at the dentist's office and have forgotten your Kindle.

Although I found much of this book quite amusing, I was mostly just impressed -- and sometimes flabbergasted -- at his creativity. I really don't know how someone can come up with So. Much. Absurdity. and ridiculous nonsense without the aid of several illegal substances. Funnily enough, there's actually a smidgen of truth in a lot of his sections, just enough to keep me a little off-balance as I read. Good times. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Totally worth owning even if you only read the Hobo chapter. ( )
  kchung_kaching | Sep 1, 2014 |
A good table top read.

But I would also recommend the audio version. I saw John Hodgman speak/sing with his ukelele for a live radio program...so I decided to make him do the reading of his expertise for me. Right decision. Guest stars and special songs help push you through the graphs and tables. ( )
  helynrob | Aug 13, 2013 |
Astoundingly stupid and disturbing. I enjoyed the whole thing. Hodgman can make me laugh just for doing something so outlandish so realistically. I listened to the entire thing, and I have to say musical accompaniment did something for the whole experience. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
While Hodgman ostensibly creates a humorous almanac (in the historical tradition), his entries and helpful footnotes also build a world of hobos, portents, and conspiracies. A pleasing read for anyone, but especially for people who read reference books for pleasure. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |
The metaphysicians of Tlön are not looking for truth, nor even for an approximation of it; they are after a kind of amazement.

Poor Richard's Almanack, 1733 edition
It would take up too much space to enumerate in these prefatory remarks the valuable fund of knowledge to be found here. Suffice it to say, if you are seeking for information of the past, or of any of the facts of today, glance at the table of contents, or "Look within, you will find it."

The World of Wisdom, 1887
The plain Truth of the Matter is, I am excessive poor, and my Wife, good Woman, is, I tell her, excessive proud; she cannot bear, she says to sit spinning in her Shift of Tow, while I do nothing but gaze at the Stars; and has threatened more than once to burn all my Books and Rattling-Traps (as she calls my Instruments) if I do not make some Profitable Use of them for the good of my Family. The Printer has offer'd me some considerable share of the Profits, and I have thus begun to comply with my Dame's desire.

The Argentine National Poultry and Rabbit Inspector's Almanac of Facts and Fictions, 1946
Offered this day with gratitude to KSF
My name is John Hodgman. I am not using a pseudonym.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0525949089, Hardcover)

With his Daily Show appearances and his "I'm a PC" Apple ads, John Hodgman has only become more famous since the hardcover edition of his all-you-need compendium of facts, The Areas of My Expertise was released. He has also become smarter. To reflect this, the paperback edition of The Areas of My Expertise has been expanded to include 100 new hobo names and new, additional complete world knowledge. John Hodgman and his fur-hatted associate, Jonathan, have prepared an exclusive video for Amazon customers explaining the above.

Click here or on the image above to watch John Hodgman describe the only book you'll ever need.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:27 -0400)

A humorous compendium of reference tables, trivia, and wisdom--largely invented by the author--lists the mottoes of the fifty-one states, identifies American presidents with hooks for hands, and describes the menu items in addition to eel at the first Thanksgiving.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,762,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible