Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey…

The Time Traveler's Wife (edition 2005)

by Audrey Niffenegger (Author)

35,862118839 (4.1)1 / 1156
The story of Clare, a beautiful art student, and Henry, a librarian, who have known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty, and were married when Clare was twenty-two and Henry thirty. Impossible but true, because Henry is one of the first people diagnosed with Chrono-Displacement Disorder: periodically his genetic clock resets and he finds himself misplaced in time, pulled to moments of emotional gravity in his life, past and future. His disappearances are spontaneous, his experiences unpredictable, alternately harrowing and amusing.… (more)
Member:EileenConnon
Title:The Time Traveler's Wife
Authors:Audrey Niffenegger (Author)
Info:Vintage (2005), Edition: New Ed, 528 pages

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (MissPip)
    MissPip: Serious, contemporary literature of first rate caliber. Wearing a interesting mantle of science fiction, this alternative history of Britain relies on heart-breakingly real emotion and impeccable writing, rather than scientific cleverness, to entertain, endear, and allow us to empathize with these all-too-human characters.… (more)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (amysisson, hyper7, ahstrick, HoudeRat)
    amysisson: Also a character-based examination of a strange phenomenon.
    The House on the Strand by Daphne Du Maurier (readerbabe1984)
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These moving and thought-provoking novels portray characters whose lives are continually disrupted by time shifts -- in Life after Life, the protagonist repeatedly dies and comes back to life, while in The Time Traveler's Wife, the protagonist time-travels involuntarily.… (more)
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald (JGKC)
    My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares (distractedmusician)
    distractedmusician: Love that transcends the limits of time.
    The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer (SqueakyChu)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Fantasy with enough reality to make it seem plausible
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (thebookpile)
    Bid Time Return by Richard Matheson (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (TomWaitsTables)
    How to Stop Time by Matt Haig (shaunie)
    The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve (krizia_lazaro)
    The Muse of Edouard Manet by M. Clifford (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another romantic time travel story with roots in Chicago.
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (norabelle414)
    Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman (emr093)
    emr093: If you are interested in various concepts of time, other than linear.
    Hourglass by Myra McEntire (amz310783)
    amz310783: Both have time travel in them, but not in an obvious sci-fi way. Also both have love stories
    Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone (becksdakex)
    Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce (KayCliff)
    God-Shaped Hole by Tiffanie DeBartolo (amyreads)

2014 (1)
. (2)

English (1,145)  German (8)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (6)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Norwegian (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,184)
The idea and the story are certainly intriguing. And there is no question that this book is a "page-turner".

However, I found myself often frustrated with words, sentences, paragraphs, and indeed entire sections that were unnecessary and seemed, to me, to merely allow the author to melodramatically and poetically expound upon some irrelevant issue, whether allegedly related to the story or pertaining to some political or social issue of the time.

To be exact, the book could have lost about 150 pages and been much better for it. I decline to include spoilers, but suffice it to say that there are happenings in the book that I would have been ecstatic to have spent more time with... and other events that left me wondering what, exactly, was the point.

Nevertheless. If you are a reader who *enjoys* reading about someone else's life and do not necessarily need to be driven along by a solid, cohesive plot, then this *is* the book for you. You will find the emotions and thoughts of the characters immersing and often moving, and you will likely shed tears more than once. For those of you who are excited about the plot of an involuntary time-traveler who suddenly and unpredictably enters and leaves his love's life, this still may be the book for you, so long as you are prepared for some unnecessary chatter, cluttering your way to the end.

All in all. I certainly recommend the book to people who enjoy reading "drama" ("real life" type of books). And if you're looking for a good love story, this will no doubt tide you over until you pick up Wuthering Heights. (seriously. pick it up.) But if you're looking for a story that's told so well you forget that you're reading? Perhaps look a little further and come back to this when your expectations can be more easily attained. ( )
  avanders | Nov 23, 2020 |
I enjoyed this book. The movie did a fine job but did miss out on some of the things that made the book so good. Not worth a re-read to me but definitely better than the movie.
  Seayla2020 | Nov 21, 2020 |
[This is a review I wrote in 2007]

**A clever concept. Moving story.**

How is it possible that Henry can marry at the age of 30, the girl that he first met at the age of 36 (when she was just 6 years old!!)? Quite simply, because Henry is a time traveller and he travels both backwards and forwards through time, whilst all the time maintaining a relatively normal existence in his present!

All of this means that when the six-year-old Clare first meets the time-travelling Henry, she has no idea of the destiny in store for her, whereas Henry already knows that this is the girl/woman he marries!

The story is woven and told by both Henry and Clare in alternating style throughout the novel. Richly woven and beautifully written, the novel is a delight to read. There is a sense of poignance throughout, especially for Clare who is tied into her future and occasionally hears snippets of her future from Henry, thus removing her from "choice" on some occasions. In fact, one slight annoyance is that Clare doesn't fight her destiny occasionally to see what happens.

Personally, I found the book very intense to read, the pace a little slow for my liking and I felt that the book would have been able to have just as much impact even if it was shorter (hence the 4 stars). That said, it's a great story and I have no hesitation recommending it. ( )
  ArdizzoneFan | Nov 13, 2020 |
Niffenegger's ending was so heartbreaking, that even eight years later, its power to upset me remains. My biggest regret was watching the movie, which ruined just about everything. ( )
  Mona07452 | Oct 23, 2020 |
This story has an awesome premise and is extremely well-written, but I hated both of the main characters. They just weren't good people. Won't be reading again, but glad I read this time. ( )
  askannakarenina | Sep 16, 2020 |
The triumph of the book is the triumph of normality, of setting up a decent family life even if you are constantly dissappearing from it, of being loyal to somebody with what Niffenegger finally explains as a genetic dysfunction - chrono-displacement, as she calls it.
added by mikeg2 | editThe guardian, Natasha Walter (Jan 31, 2004)

"The Time Traveler's Wife" can be an exasperating read, but as a love story it has its appeal: Refreshingly, the novel portrays long-term commitment as something lively and exuberant rather than dutiful and staid, evoking both the comforts it brings us and the tribulations we learn to live with.

Niffenegger, despite her moving, razor-edged prose, doesn't claim to be a romantic. She writes with the unflinching yet detached clarity of a war correspondent standing at the sidelines of an unfolding battle. She possesses a historian's eye for contextual detail. This is no romantic idyll.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Kathy Balog (Sep 24, 2003)

About halfway through Audrey Niffenegger's debut novel, The Time Traveler's Wife, you realize you're going to be devastated. You love the characters, you're deeply involved in their lives, you can sense tragedy coming and you know it's going to hurt. But there's no way you can stop reading... Niffenegger structures the novel clearly enough that the timelines never get tangled, and her writing is so strong you'd keep going even if you did get confused.
added by Shortride | editBookPage, Becky Ohlsen (Sep 1, 2003)

Audrey Niffeneggerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bagnoli, KatiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Berman, FredNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hope, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lefkow, LaurelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strole, PhoebeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swahn, Sven ChristerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clock time is our bank manager,
tax collector, police inspector;
this inner time is our wife.

— J. B. PRIESTLEY,
Man and Time
Love After Love

The time will come
when, with elation,
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

—DEREK WALCOTT
Oh not because happiness exists,
that too-hasty profit snatched from approaching loss.
But because truly being here is so much; because everything here apparently needs us, this fleeting world, in which some strange way keeps calling us. Us, the most fleeting of all.
. . . Ah, but what can we take along
into that other real? Not the art of looking,
which is learned so slowly, and nothing that happened here. Nothing.
The sufferings, then. And, above all, the heaviness,
and the long experience of love,—just what is wholly
unsayable.

Norbert Charles Tamandl
February 11, 1915-May 23, 1957
PROLOGUE

Clare:
It's hard being left behind.
FIRST DATE, ONE
Saturday, October 26, 1991 (Henry is 28, Clare is 20)

Clare: The library is cool and smells like carpet cleaner, although all I can see is marble.
Henry: I didn't know you were coming or I'd have cleaned up a little more. My life, I mean, not just the apartment.
I imagined my mother laughing at me, her well-plucked eyebrows raised high at the sight of her half-Jewish son marooned in the midst of Christmas in Goyland.

The Time Traveler's Wife is an unconventional love story that centers on a man with a strange genetic disorder that causes him to unpredictably time travel, and his wife, an artist who has to cope with his frequent absences and dangerous experiences.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 161174430X, 1622319095

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,709,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible