The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey…

The Time Traveler's Wife (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Audrey Niffenegger

Member:MissMac
Title:The Time Traveler's Wife
Authors:Audrey Niffenegger
Info:Jonathan Cape (2004), Paperback, 224 pages
Tags:time travel

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (2003)

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (MissPip)
    MissPip: Serious, contemporary literature of first rate caliber. Wearing a interesting mantle of science fiction, this alternative history of Britain relies on heart-breakingly real emotion and impeccable writing, rather than scientific cleverness, to entertain, endear, and allow us to empathize with these all-too-human characters.… (more)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (amysisson, hyper7, ahstrick, HoudeRat)
    amysisson: Also a character-based examination of a strange phenomenon.
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (readerbabe1984)
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald (JGKC)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Fantasy with enough reality to make it seem plausible
    My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares (distractedmusician)
    distractedmusician: Love that transcends the limits of time.
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These moving and thought-provoking novels portray characters whose lives are continually disrupted by time shifts -- in Life after Life, the protagonist repeatedly dies and comes back to life, while in The Time Traveler's Wife, the protagonist time-travels involuntarily.… (more)
    The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer (SqueakyChu)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke (thebookpile)
    The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve (krizia_lazaro)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (TomWaitsTables)
    Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman (emr093)
    emr093: If you are interested in various concepts of time, other than linear.
    Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    The Muse of Edouard Manet by M. Clifford (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another romantic time travel story with roots in Chicago.
    Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone (becksdakex)
    Hourglass by Myra McEntire (amz310783)
    amz310783: Both have time travel in them, but not in an obvious sci-fi way. Also both have love stories
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (norabelle414)
    The Dive from Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer (jbvm)
    jbvm: Also about a complicated relationship.
    Will You Be There? by Guillaume Musso (Liyanna)
    The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue (cataylor)

2014 (1)
. (2)

English (1,098)  German (9)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (6)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Italian (3)  Hungarian (2)  All (2)  All (1)  Russian (1)  All (1)  All (1,135)
I don't know why I enjoyed this book so much. It's not my "type" of book at all. I think it was just the frame of mind I was in at the time. I couldn't put it down. The relationship between Clare and Henry, despite the whole time traveling twist, was probably the most authentic portrayal of a marriage I've ever read. I enjoyed the time travel aspect too. It was different and complicated, and there was a real sense of danger yet wonder involved. You envied Henry and Clare but felt sorry for them too, like they were cursed. I'll reread this one, definitely. ( )
  KiernanMaire | Oct 25, 2017 |
The title already gives away that this book revolves around one of the more popular tropes of fiction, time traveling. However, if you expect yet another novel to deal with the intricacies of time traveling from a more or less scientific what-would-happen-if angle, you will certainly be disappointed. Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife takes the actual possibility of time traveling as a given from the beginning and does not care so much about whether one could change events in the past in order to influence the future. Rather the novel simply postulates that the future cannot be altered. Niffenegger's time traveler, the protagonist Henry DeTamble, is merely allowed to see certain events in his future and revisit others in his past. The focus of the novel is on the relationship between Henry and his past/present/future wife Clare. Niffenegger explores how time traveling will affect the day-to-day of a relationship and how the lovers can cope. Normal-couples' decisions such as whether to have a baby are regarded from a different point of view: Will it work? Will the baby be a time traveler too? Is there any way to spare the child from this ordeal?

It is exactly the angle that The Time Traveler's Wife takes that makes this book stand out. As a reader you find yourself confronted with everyday situations, only that there is the added twist of one of the partners being a time traveler. I quite enjoyed following along Niffenegger's narrative. The story is told from the perspectives of the two main characters Clare and Henry, who each relate events in their lives from a first-person perspective. One of the characters being a time traveler enables Niffenegger to create tension and have the readers suspensefully waiting for events that are only briefly revealed in flashbacks and flash forwards.

On the whole, I found The Time Traveler's Wife a pleasure to read. It did, however, lack the 'something special' that I would expect from a five star read. 4 stars. ( )
  OscarWilde87 | Oct 23, 2017 |
How surreal and beautiful... ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
A very strange, science fictional story of Henry and Clare. Henry has 'chrono displacement'; he travels back and forth in time with no control over when it happens what year/time he goes to. He meets Clare when she is 6 and continues to come back in time as she grows up. They finally marry, as in reality their ages aren't far apart. He does disappear for a few minutes during their wedding service! Henry does seem to be a real person, in that he is an alcoholic, like his father and he has a temper- he likes to beat people up. He also lost his mother in a car accident in which he was a passenger- and watched his mother get decapitated. This haunted him his whole life and he travels back to this scene many times. Not being one for science fiction, I thought it was well done, but confusing. ( )
  camplakejewel | Sep 25, 2017 |
This is the extraordinary love story of Clare, an artist, and Henry, a librarian and time traveler. Henry has known Clare since she was a little girl but doesn't know it until he meets her in real time where she knows who he is and is already in love with him. Discover the complexities of time travel through their love affair of the ages. You will not be able to put this book down and will be touched by the love that Clare and Henry share. This is an instant classic that you will read over and over.

Ashley C. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
Um, I don't say this very often but I could NOT finish this book. I originally chose it as my 'April Book of the Month' because I was challenged to read a book that has been sitting on my 'to-read' list for WAY TOO LONG and also one that I had tried to read before but didn't get through. Feeling like I hadn't given this book a fair chance, it seemed like a no-brainer choice. However... it just isn't a book for me. I made it MUCH further than I have in the past (approx. 200 pages) but the fact that I am not 'craving' the read that I normally do, I know that I am done. This book will be entered into the vault, never to be seen again (at least by these eyes).

I'm sad to add a book to the 'couldn't finish' list, but... life is too short to read something I am not enjoying!!

The triumph of the book is the triumph of normality, of setting up a decent family life even if you are constantly dissappearing from it, of being loyal to somebody with what Niffenegger finally explains as a genetic dysfunction - chrono-displacement, as she calls it.
added by mikeg2 | editThe guardian, Natasha Walter (Jan 31, 2004)

"The Time Traveler's Wife" can be an exasperating read, but as a love story it has its appeal: Refreshingly, the novel portrays long-term commitment as something lively and exuberant rather than dutiful and staid, evoking both the comforts it brings us and the tribulations we learn to live with.

Niffenegger, despite her moving, razor-edged prose, doesn't claim to be a romantic. She writes with the unflinching yet detached clarity of a war correspondent standing at the sidelines of an unfolding battle. She possesses a historian's eye for contextual detail. This is no romantic idyll.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Kathy Balog (Sep 24, 2003)

About halfway through Audrey Niffenegger's debut novel, The Time Traveler's Wife, you realize you're going to be devastated. You love the characters, you're deeply involved in their lives, you can sense tragedy coming and you know it's going to hurt. But there's no way you can stop reading... Niffenegger structures the novel clearly enough that the timelines never get tangled, and her writing is so strong you'd keep going even if you did get confused.
added by Shortride | editBookPage, Becky Ohlsen (Sep 1, 2003)

Audrey Niffeneggerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hope, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lefkow, LaurelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swahn, Sven ChristerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clock time is our bank manager,
tax collector, police inspector;
this inner time is our wife.

— J. B. PRIESTLEY,
Man and Time
Love After Love

The time will come
when, with elation,
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

—DEREK WALCOTT
Oh not because happiness exists,
that too-hasty profit snatched from approaching loss.
But because truly being here is so much; because everything here apparently needs us, this fleeting world, in which some strange way keeps calling us. Us, the most fleeting of all.
. . . Ah, but what can we take along
into that other real? Not the art of looking,
which is learned so slowly, and nothing that happened here. Nothing.
The sufferings, then. And, above all, the heaviness,
and the long experience of love,—just what is wholly
unsayable.

Norbert Charles Tamandl
February 11, 1915-May 23, 1957
PROLOGUE

Clare:
It's hard being left behind.
FIRST DATE, ONE
Saturday, October 26, 1991 (Henry is 28, Clare is 20)

Clare: The library is cool and smells like carpet cleaner, although all I can see is marble.
Henry: I didn't know you were coming or I'd have cleaned up a little more. My life, I mean, not just the apartment.
I imagined my mother laughing at me, her well-plucked eyebrows raised high at the sight of her half-Jewish son marooned in the midst of Christmas in Goyland.

The Time Traveler's Wife is an unconventional love story that centers on a man with a strange genetic disorder that causes him to unpredictably time travel, and his wife, an artist who has to cope with his frequent absences and dangerous experiences.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 015602943X, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:46 -0400)

A dazzling novel in the most untraditional fashion, this is the remarkable story of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who travels involuntarily through time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whose life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Clare's passionate love affair endures across a sea of time and captures the two lovers in an impossibly romantic trap, and it is Audrey Niffenegger's cinematic storytelling that makes the novel's unconventional chronology so vibrantly triumphant. An enchanting debut and a spellbinding tale of fate and belief in the bonds of love, The Time Traveler's Wife is destined to captivate readers for years to come.… (more)

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 1598872028, 1598877372

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 161174430X, 1622319095

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,394,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible