The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey…

The Time Traveler's Wife (edition 2010)

by Audrey Niffenegger

34,227115235 (4.11)1 / 1131
Member:allyflower15
Title:The Time Traveler's Wife
Authors:Audrey Niffenegger
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2010), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 560 pages
Rating:*****

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (MissPip)
    MissPip: Serious, contemporary literature of first rate caliber. Wearing a interesting mantle of science fiction, this alternative history of Britain relies on heart-breakingly real emotion and impeccable writing, rather than scientific cleverness, to entertain, endear, and allow us to empathize with these all-too-human characters.… (more)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (amysisson, hyper7, ahstrick, HoudeRat)
    amysisson: Also a character-based examination of a strange phenomenon.
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald (JGKC)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (readerbabe1984)
    My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares (distractedmusician)
    distractedmusician: Love that transcends the limits of time.
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Fantasy with enough reality to make it seem plausible
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These moving and thought-provoking novels portray characters whose lives are continually disrupted by time shifts -- in Life after Life, the protagonist repeatedly dies and comes back to life, while in The Time Traveler's Wife, the protagonist time-travels involuntarily.… (more)
    The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer (SqueakyChu)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (thebookpile)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (TomWaitsTables)
    The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve (krizia_lazaro)
    Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman (emr093)
    emr093: If you are interested in various concepts of time, other than linear.
    Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    How to Stop Time by Matt Haig (shaunie)
    The Muse of Edouard Manet by M. Clifford (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another romantic time travel story with roots in Chicago.
    Hourglass by Myra McEntire (amz310783)
    amz310783: Both have time travel in them, but not in an obvious sci-fi way. Also both have love stories
    The Dive from Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer (jbvm)
    jbvm: Also about a complicated relationship.
    Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone (becksdakex)
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (norabelle414)
    Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (Dorotia)
    Dorotia: (especially the first book) shows a similarly fated, complicated, but loving, respectful relationship and handles the supernatural with similar understanding and acceptance.

2014 (1)
. (2)

English (1,114)  German (9)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (6)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Italian (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,151)
Why I Stopped Reading (p. 62) -- There's no way I would enjoy another 470 pages of this. Past the ten percent mark, I still have no sense of who these characters are beyond their academic prowess, and the frequent art/poetry/music/etc references don't show up organically. Somehow both Clare's voice and Henry's (which are pretty much the same voice) feel pretentious even when I'm reading about their insecurities. And Henry's voice does not read even slightly male. And the dialogue is off somehow (maybe all those voices are the same, too?). And then there's the romance, which I did not expect to feel so ... warped.

The book blurb reveals these two meet when Henry is thirty-six and Clare is six. I guess I should have realized what I was getting into. Clare grows up encountering a naked adult man in the meadow behind her house, providing him clothes and guessing by the time she's twelve that he is going to marry her in her future (his past). On her eighteenth birthday, forty-one-year-old Henry shows up, and as agreed, now that she's a legal adult, they have sex. Eventually they meet in his present for the first time (now aged twenty and twenty-eight) and he has no idea who she is. She's amazed at how young he is. He's amazed that she grew up knowing an older version of him. They have sex. And the romance is born ... reborn ... whatever. I just can't get into this. I can't forget that this Henry is going to go back in time years later and meet her at six years old knowing what it's like to have sex with her when she's eighteen and twenty and ...

I went ahead and read spoilers and I'm glad I stopped now.
  AmandaGStevens | Mar 2, 2019 |
Really just a great bit of literary fiction with a light sci fi premise. The characters are well realized, and I'll miss them. The story could have become overly muddled and confusing, but it never was - always leaving a reasonable number of balls in the air for the reader to juggle. It's also wonderful that very little of the book is cut and dry, resolved, or black and white. The protagonists remind me strongly of my wife and I - and I expect that is a common reaction, judging by the popularity of the book. A good opportunity to help the reader gain perspective of their own life phases, changes, and forgotten pockets of bliss, as well as horror.

It also *heavily* influenced all of Stephen Moffat's Doctor Who stories. This caught me by surprise because, as a serious longtime fan of the show, it's remarkable that I hadn't known during the 4 seasons that it impacted. ( )
  Ron18 | Feb 17, 2019 |
To be honest, I did not make it through the remainder of this book. I paused around page 120 and just never went back.

After hearing so many amazing things about this book, I felt the need to read it and picked it up. So disappointed. This book drags horribly. I was bored, confused, and frustrated. Having to constantly keep track of what time Henry is in, how old he is, what his situation is. It all took away from the story within I think.

I did enjoy the chemistry between Henry and Clare, but that was it. They alone were not interesting enough to keep me involved in this story. Perhaps I will pick it up another time, but for now this book gets one star from me. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Call me tedious, but when you read this book ten years after the first time - something about it get's greater. You won't enjoy the book if you try to figure out how things like this can happen, it's not a realistic one.
But if you let the book sweep you to a place where you will feel this is the reality, you will be drawn to something fascinating, enjoyable and touching.
If you read it at a pace where you will understand everything, you will not only want to read on; you will also want to be a part of it.

"If you say that love has no age, then here, you will learn that it also has no time." ( )
  JantTommason | Jan 24, 2019 |
This is one of the saddest books I have ever read. It took me a long time to read it.
Though I understand what the author was doing with the plot, the scenes where the adult Henry shows up naked whiled Claire was just a little girl disturbed me. I also found it disturbing when he tells her things about herself instead of letting her discover them for herself. She didn't have much of a childhood and she wasn't able to discover who she was for herself with him always there popping up. She didn't have much of a life, always waiting for him. This may be a love story but it is not a romance. ( )
  DebraParmley | Dec 29, 2018 |
Um, I don't say this very often but I could NOT finish this book. I originally chose it as my 'April Book of the Month' because I was challenged to read a book that has been sitting on my 'to-read' list for WAY TOO LONG and also one that I had tried to read before but didn't get through. Feeling like I hadn't given this book a fair chance, it seemed like a no-brainer choice. However... it just isn't a book for me. I made it MUCH further than I have in the past (approx. 200 pages) but the fact that I am not 'craving' the read that I normally do, I know that I am done. This book will be entered into the vault, never to be seen again (at least by these eyes).

I'm sad to add a book to the 'couldn't finish' list, but... life is too short to read something I am not enjoying!!

The triumph of the book is the triumph of normality, of setting up a decent family life even if you are constantly dissappearing from it, of being loyal to somebody with what Niffenegger finally explains as a genetic dysfunction - chrono-displacement, as she calls it.
added by mikeg2 | editThe guardian, Natasha Walter (Jan 31, 2004)

"The Time Traveler's Wife" can be an exasperating read, but as a love story it has its appeal: Refreshingly, the novel portrays long-term commitment as something lively and exuberant rather than dutiful and staid, evoking both the comforts it brings us and the tribulations we learn to live with.

Niffenegger, despite her moving, razor-edged prose, doesn't claim to be a romantic. She writes with the unflinching yet detached clarity of a war correspondent standing at the sidelines of an unfolding battle. She possesses a historian's eye for contextual detail. This is no romantic idyll.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Kathy Balog (Sep 24, 2003)

About halfway through Audrey Niffenegger's debut novel, The Time Traveler's Wife, you realize you're going to be devastated. You love the characters, you're deeply involved in their lives, you can sense tragedy coming and you know it's going to hurt. But there's no way you can stop reading... Niffenegger structures the novel clearly enough that the timelines never get tangled, and her writing is so strong you'd keep going even if you did get confused.
added by Shortride | editBookPage, Becky Ohlsen (Sep 1, 2003)

Audrey Niffeneggerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Berman, FredNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hope, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lefkow, LaurelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strole, PhoebeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swahn, Sven ChristerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clock time is our bank manager,
tax collector, police inspector;
this inner time is our wife.

— J. B. PRIESTLEY,
Man and Time
Love After Love

The time will come
when, with elation,
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

—DEREK WALCOTT
Oh not because happiness exists,
that too-hasty profit snatched from approaching loss.
But because truly being here is so much; because everything here apparently needs us, this fleeting world, in which some strange way keeps calling us. Us, the most fleeting of all.
. . . Ah, but what can we take along
into that other real? Not the art of looking,
which is learned so slowly, and nothing that happened here. Nothing.
The sufferings, then. And, above all, the heaviness,
and the long experience of love,—just what is wholly
unsayable.

Norbert Charles Tamandl
February 11, 1915-May 23, 1957
PROLOGUE

Clare:
It's hard being left behind.
FIRST DATE, ONE
Saturday, October 26, 1991 (Henry is 28, Clare is 20)

Clare: The library is cool and smells like carpet cleaner, although all I can see is marble.
Henry: I didn't know you were coming or I'd have cleaned up a little more. My life, I mean, not just the apartment.
I imagined my mother laughing at me, her well-plucked eyebrows raised high at the sight of her half-Jewish son marooned in the midst of Christmas in Goyland.

The Time Traveler's Wife is an unconventional love story that centers on a man with a strange genetic disorder that causes him to unpredictably time travel, and his wife, an artist who has to cope with his frequent absences and dangerous experiences.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 015602943X, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:46 -0400)

A dazzling novel in the most untraditional fashion, this is the remarkable story of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who travels involuntarily through time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whose life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Clare's passionate love affair endures across a sea of time and captures the two lovers in an impossibly romantic trap, and it is Audrey Niffenegger's cinematic storytelling that makes the novel's unconventional chronology so vibrantly triumphant. An enchanting debut and a spellbinding tale of fate and belief in the bonds of love, The Time Traveler's Wife is destined to captivate readers for years to come.… (more)

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 1598872028, 1598877372

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 161174430X, 1622319095

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,363,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible