The time traveler's wife : a novel by Audrey…

The time traveler's wife : a novel (edition 2003)

by Audrey Niffenegger

Member:pjdscca
Title:The time traveler's wife : a novel
Authors:Audrey Niffenegger
Info:San Francisco, CA : MacAdam/Cage, c2003.
Collections:Read but unowned

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (MissPip)
    MissPip: Serious, contemporary literature of first rate caliber. Wearing a interesting mantle of science fiction, this alternative history of Britain relies on heart-breakingly real emotion and impeccable writing, rather than scientific cleverness, to entertain, endear, and allow us to empathize with these all-too-human characters.… (more)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (amysisson, hyper7, ahstrick)
    amysisson: Also a character-based examination of a strange phenomenon.
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (readerbabe1984)
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald (JGKC)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Fantasy with enough reality to make it seem plausible
    My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares (distractedmusician)
    distractedmusician: Love that transcends the limits of time.
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (thebookpile)
    The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer (SqueakyChu)
    The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve (krizia_lazaro)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (one-horse.library)
    Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman (emr093)
    emr093: If you are interested in various concepts of time, other than linear.
    Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    The Muse of Edouard Manet by M. Clifford (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another romantic time travel story with roots in Chicago.
    Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone (becksdakex)
    Hourglass by Myra McEntire (amz310783)
    amz310783: Both have time travel in them, but not in an obvious sci-fi way. Also both have love stories
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (sturlington)
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (norabelle414)
    The Grand Complication: A Novel by Allen Kurzweil (sturlington)
    sturlington: Scenes in fantastic libraries.
    Seras-Tu la ? by Guillaume Musso (Liyanna)
    The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue (cataylor)

2014 (1)

English (940)  German (9)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Swedish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (976)
YALSA Alex Award. RGG: Very strange story about a relationship between a man who time travels and therefore meets his wife as a child. Some explicit sexual scenes.
  rgruberhighschool | May 1, 2015 |
I thought I would add this review since I noticed it's being made into a movie. Interesting premise. He has like a genetic disorder and he time travels without being able to help it. He meets his wife for HER first time when she is a child and he is like 40 or something, but in real time they are close to the same age. HIS first time meeting her in real time was when he was like in his 20's or something like that. It's been a while since I've read it. Oh, and when he time travels, there's a little complication. He loses his clothes in the process. Wonder how the movie will handle that... ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
I had a hard time getting engaged with this novel. It's long--536 pages--and I set it aside halfway through, almost giving up on it. But I kept seeing it on a number of "recommended books" list, so I finally picked it up again and finished it. The second half was more satisfying than the first, but I still was looking forward to my next book.

It may be that my problem is that I am a guy and this is a romance. All the same, I couldn't very well connect with the characters. Though in their narration the two protagonists (the time traveler and his wife) make some digs at yuppies, yuppies is essentially what they themselves are. She was raised on an estate with servants, he is the son of an opera singer and concert violinist. They party, go to concerts and nightspots, and talk a lot about tastes in music, food, etc.

There's also something about Henry (the time traveler) I didn't find quite convincing. Due to a genetic disorder, at times he dematerializes and vanishes to another place/time. When this happens, nothing goes with him--no clothes, etc.--which makes him extremely vulnerable and he has learned to live by tooth-and-claw in order to survive. By necessity, he has learned how to pick locks, steal, and violently defend himself. The disruption this generates in his life, along with all its uncertainty, has to have had a profound effect on his personality. And indeed, we're told that before Claire (his soulmate) came into his life he was a rake and a cad. But once he makes Claire's acquaintance, he's a completely sympathetic character.

I know that love is supposed to conquer all, but can a person's personality be re-molded all that magically? ( )
  kvrfan | Apr 25, 2015 |
I became completely mesmerized by this book, which is actually sort of logically unsatisfactory--the premise that someone lives his live chronologically out of synch while intersecting with a central (love) interest who experiences time sequentially is fascinating but irritating too. Having said that, and with a doomed and tragic ending well foretold, I still spent late nights trying to sneak in more pages--and exercised unusual discipline in not skipping to the end of the book (although the author sort of made this transgression unnecessary, with the "real" foreshadowing liberally sprinkled throughout. Good love story too, although
I have to agree with one review I skimmed which said: these people have better sex, the perfect child, and are financially blessed (through genes and prescience)--what's the point!? Perhaps I was mesmerized by the thought of a central romantic lead who was by vocation a librarian... ( )
  LizHD | Mar 25, 2015 |
ok so I didn't get very far into this book and it dind't hold my attention...jumps around to much for me and it was just plain boring. It didn't "draw" me in. This goes on my to sell list ( )
  christih | Mar 1, 2015 |
Um, I don't say this very often but I could NOT finish this book. I originally chose it as my 'April Book of the Month' because I was challenged to read a book that has been sitting on my 'to-read' list for WAY TOO LONG and also one that I had tried to read before but didn't get through. Feeling like I hadn't given this book a fair chance, it seemed like a no-brainer choice. However... it just isn't a book for me. I made it MUCH further than I have in the past (approx. 200 pages) but the fact that I am not 'craving' the read that I normally do, I know that I am done. This book will be entered into the vault, never to be seen again (at least by these eyes).

I'm sad to add a book to the 'couldn't finish' list, but... life is too short to read something I am not enjoying!!

The triumph of the book is the triumph of normality, of setting up a decent family life even if you are constantly dissappearing from it, of being loyal to somebody with what Niffenegger finally explains as a genetic dysfunction - chrono-displacement, as she calls it.
added by mikeg2 | editThe guardian, Natasha Walter (Jan 31, 2004)

"The Time Traveler's Wife" can be an exasperating read, but as a love story it has its appeal: Refreshingly, the novel portrays long-term commitment as something lively and exuberant rather than dutiful and staid, evoking both the comforts it brings us and the tribulations we learn to live with.

Niffenegger, despite her moving, razor-edged prose, doesn't claim to be a romantic. She writes with the unflinching yet detached clarity of a war correspondent standing at the sidelines of an unfolding battle. She possesses a historian's eye for contextual detail. This is no romantic idyll.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Kathy Balog (Sep 24, 2003)

About halfway through Audrey Niffenegger's debut novel, The Time Traveler's Wife, you realize you're going to be devastated. You love the characters, you're deeply involved in their lives, you can sense tragedy coming and you know it's going to hurt. But there's no way you can stop reading... Niffenegger structures the novel clearly enough that the timelines never get tangled, and her writing is so strong you'd keep going even if you did get confused.
added by Shortride | editBookPage, Becky Ohlsen (Sep 1, 2003)

Audrey Niffeneggerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hope, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lefkow, LaurelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swahn, Sven ChristerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clock time is our bank manager,
tax collector, police inspector;
this inner time is our wife.

-- J. B. PRIESTLEY,
Man and Time
Love After Love

The time will come
when, with elation,
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

--DEREK WALCOTT
Oh not because happiness exists,
that too-hasty profit snatched from approaching loss.
But because truly being here is so much; because everything here apparently needs us, this fleeting world, in which some strange way keeps calling us. Us, the most fleeting of all.
. . . Ah, but what can we take along
into that other real? Not the art of looking,
which is learned so slowly, and nothing that happened here. Nothing.
The sufferings, then. And, above all, the heaviness,
and the long experience of love,---just what is wholly
unsayable.

Norbert Charles Tamandl
February 11, 1915-May 23, 1957
PROLOGUE

Clare:
It's hard being left behind.
FIRST DATE, ONE
Saturday, October 26, 1991 (Henry is 28, Clare is 20)

Clare: The library is cool and smells like carpet cleaner, although all I can see is marble.
Henry: I didn't know you were coming or I'd have cleaned up a little more. My life, I mean, not just the apartment.
I imagined my mother laughing at me, her well-plucked eyebrows raised high at the sight of her half-Jewish son marooned in the midst of Christmas in Goyland.

The Time Traveler's Wife is an unconventional love story that centers on a man with a strange genetic disorder that causes him to unpredictably time travel, and his wife, an artist who has to cope with his frequent absences and dangerous experiences.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 015602943X, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:49 -0400)

A dazzling novel in the most untraditional fashion, this is the remarkable story of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who travels involuntarily through time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whose life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Clare's passionate love affair endures across a sea of time and captures the two lovers in an impossibly romantic trap, and it is Audrey Niffenegger's cinematic storytelling that makes the novel's unconventional chronology so vibrantly triumphant. An enchanting debut and a spellbinding tale of fate and belief in the bonds of love, The Time Traveler's Wife is destined to captivate readers for years to come.… (more)

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 1598872028, 1598877372

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,875,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible