The time traveler's wife : a novel by Audrey…

The time traveler's wife : a novel (edition 2003)

by Audrey Niffenegger

Member:pjdscca
Title:The time traveler's wife : a novel
Authors:Audrey Niffenegger
Info:San Francisco, CA : MacAdam/Cage, c2003.
Collections:Read but unowned

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (MissPip)
    MissPip: Serious, contemporary literature of first rate caliber. Wearing a interesting mantle of science fiction, this alternative history of Britain relies on heart-breakingly real emotion and impeccable writing, rather than scientific cleverness, to entertain, endear, and allow us to empathize with these all-too-human characters.… (more)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (amysisson, hyper7, ahstrick)
    amysisson: Also a character-based examination of a strange phenomenon.
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald (JGKC)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (readerbabe1984)
    My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares (distractedmusician)
    distractedmusician: Love that transcends the limits of time.
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Fantasy with enough reality to make it seem plausible
    The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer (SqueakyChu)
    The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve (krizia_lazaro)
    Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (one-horse.library)
    Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman (emr093)
    emr093: If you are interested in various concepts of time, other than linear.
    The Muse of Edouard Manet (Volume 1) by M. Clifford (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another romantic time travel story with roots in Chicago.
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (thebookpile)
    Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone (becksdakex)
    Hourglass by Myra McEntire (amz310783)
    amz310783: Both have time travel in them, but not in an obvious sci-fi way. Also both have love stories
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (norabelle414)
    The Dive from Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer (jbvm)
    jbvm: Also about a complicated relationship.
    Time and Again by Jack Finney (sturlington)
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (sturlington)
    Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers (sturlington)
    sturlington: The author has said that she based Henry and Clare on Lord Peter and Harriet.

English (1,009)  German (9)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Swedish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,044)
Genuinely creative, though, as are all time travel stories - a bit befuddling! ( )
  Anraku | Aug 15, 2014 |
Typically the time travel novels I am most drawn to send a contemporary character back (or less often forward) in time to some interesting historical era where that character has to cope with differences in culture and lifestyle while trying to accomplish some kind of quest--even if it’s just to get back home--allowing me to effortlessly glean fascinating insights about a time gone by. The Time Traveler’s Wife, of course, is nothing like this and yet it is maybe my favorite book in the genre. Henry, a punk music loving librarian, and Clare, an artist who creates large sculptures of paper, are people I would love to read about in any story, and I enjoy almost as much the rich cast of well-drawn supporting characters, many of whom could probably star in their own books.

It’s Henry who is jolted around in time, and it’s just as brutal as it sounds because he is abruptly jerked from wherever he is and dropped naked somewhere else in time, usually some time in his own past, though occasionally in his future. To survive these circumstances Henry has had to become good at running, picking locks, fighting, lying, and stealing. The plot examines the “what if” of being involuntarily shoved back and forth in time away from your present--including the paradoxes of meeting past and future versions of yourself--and combines that with the affecting story of two lovers who meet each other out of sequence, the normal chronology of a relationship upended. When Henry first sees Clare in his mid-twenties Clare has already known Henry since she was six because older Henrys have been inadvertently time traveling into the field behind her parent’s home and visiting with her almost all her life.

Ever since I first read The Time Traveler’s Wife in 2003 it has been on my mental list of all-time best reads, a book I judge other novels by, and it has maintained a prominent place on my bookshelf. For this “reread” I listened to the audio version and was just as entranced by the story as I was in my initial encounter. Because it’s narrated by two talented readers, a Henry and a Clare who both really capture their characters, I was able to especially savor the language and writing style. Being audio also meant no skimming over details when there is some sadness at the end, adding a little not unwelcome poignancy to my pleasure.

A sequel featuring Alba, Henry and Clare’s time traveling daughter, is set to come out sometime soon. Can’t wait--here’s hoping it’s just as wonderful. ( )
  Jaylia3 | Aug 6, 2014 |
it's a fantastic love story for sure :-)

the only negative thing that i can say about this book is that it was hard at times to read because it was hard to get a grasp on 'when' it was... most stories follow a time period for the most part... certainly a lot of stories have flashbacks, but those are generally easy to adapt to in reading

because of the nature of this story, time did not follow 'normal' lines...i mean he was a time traveler, after all, and you had to go where (& when) that took him... so you are reading a story about one man (one woman) who spends his life in many different times unable to control "when" he was at any time...

all that aside it's a lovely book, very well written that i would definitely recommend reading... ( )
  SpiritedTruthSeeker | Aug 5, 2014 |
In general, I'm not a fan of time travel. I only read this book because someone gave it to me. However, I must say this was done well. It is a love story, a modern-day fairy tale. It was a very few times confusing, especially when the time traveler would have 2 personas on earth at the same time, or would come back before the time he left! ( )
  tess_i_am48 | Jul 5, 2014 |
I have had this book for ages, which is often the case with me and my books, but now that I've read it, I am once again finding myself asking, as I often find myself asking with my books, why I took so long to read this book. It was excellent!

And SO much better than the movie. Not that I'm trying to take anything away from the movie, because I feel like the movie is pretty good in its own right, but of course they had to cut A LOT out of the movie, and a couple of things were changed. So the book goes much more in depth with Henry and Clare's relationship, and is just rich with details. It is a glorious experience to read this book.

This book alternates between Henry and Clare's points of view, and also jumps through time, which would be so easy to be done wrong, but it was never at all hard to keep up with what was going on in this book. Even for me, who often finds jumping around in time hard to keep up with, because I often only get to read after work, and in the meantime if things are too confusing, I lose track of what's going on. But the book just wasn't confusing at all. It just always made perfect sense. This book is beautifully written.

I love time travel books, and I especially love reading different kinds of time travel books. And while I've seen the movie for this book, the book was still different enough from the movie to be an interesting read, and the time travel in this book is completely unique from any kind of time travel I've ever read before. Audrey Niffenegger created a lovely and unique book, and it was a pleasure to read it. ( )
  avidreaderchick | Jul 1, 2014 |
Um, I don't say this very often but I could NOT finish this book. I originally chose it as my 'April Book of the Month' because I was challenged to read a book that has been sitting on my 'to-read' list for WAY TOO LONG and also one that I had tried to read before but didn't get through. Feeling like I hadn't given this book a fair chance, it seemed like a no-brainer choice. However... it just isn't a book for me. I made it MUCH further than I have in the past (approx. 200 pages) but the fact that I am not 'craving' the read that I normally do, I know that I am done. This book will be entered into the vault, never to be seen again (at least by these eyes).

I'm sad to add a book to the 'couldn't finish' list, but... life is too short to read something I am not enjoying!!

The triumph of the book is the triumph of normality, of setting up a decent family life even if you are constantly dissappearing from it, of being loyal to somebody with what Niffenegger finally explains as a genetic dysfunction - chrono-displacement, as she calls it.
added by mikeg2 | editThe guardian, Natasha Walter (Jan 31, 2004)

"The Time Traveler's Wife" can be an exasperating read, but as a love story it has its appeal: Refreshingly, the novel portrays long-term commitment as something lively and exuberant rather than dutiful and staid, evoking both the comforts it brings us and the tribulations we learn to live with.

Niffenegger, despite her moving, razor-edged prose, doesn't claim to be a romantic. She writes with the unflinching yet detached clarity of a war correspondent standing at the sidelines of an unfolding battle. She possesses a historian's eye for contextual detail. This is no romantic idyll.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Kathy Balog (Sep 24, 2003)

About halfway through Audrey Niffenegger's debut novel, The Time Traveler's Wife, you realize you're going to be devastated. You love the characters, you're deeply involved in their lives, you can sense tragedy coming and you know it's going to hurt. But there's no way you can stop reading... Niffenegger structures the novel clearly enough that the timelines never get tangled, and her writing is so strong you'd keep going even if you did get confused.
added by Shortride | editBookPage, Becky Ohlsen (Sep 1, 2003)

Audrey Niffeneggerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hope, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lefkow, LaurelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swahn, Sven ChristerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clock time is our bank manager,
tax collector, police inspector;
this inner time is our wife.

-- J. B. PRIESTLEY,
Man and Time
Love After Love

The time will come
when, with elation,
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

--DEREK WALCOTT
Oh not because happiness exists,
that too-hasty profit snatched from approaching loss.
But because truly being here is so much; because everything here apparently needs us, this fleeting world, in which some strange way keeps calling us. Us, the most fleeting of all.
. . . Ah, but what can we take along
into that other real? Not the art of looking,
which is learned so slowly, and nothing that happened here. Nothing.
The sufferings, then. And, above all, the heaviness,
and the long experience of love,---just what is wholly
unsayable.

Norbert Charles Tamandl
February 11, 1915-May 23, 1957
PROLOGUE

Clare:
It's hard being left behind.
FIRST DATE, ONE
Saturday, October 26, 1991 (Henry is 28, Clare is 20)

Clare: The library is cool and smells like carpet cleaner, although all I can see is marble.
Henry: I didn't know you were coming or I'd have cleaned up a little more. My life, I mean, not just the apartment.
I imagined my mother laughing at me, her well-plucked eyebrows raised high at the sight of her half-Jewish son marooned in the midst of Christmas in Goyland.

The Time Traveler's Wife is an unconventional love story that centers on a man with a strange genetic disorder that causes him to unpredictably time travel, and his wife, an artist who has to cope with his frequent absences and dangerous experiences.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 015602943X, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:49 -0400)

A dazzling novel in the most untraditional fashion, this is the remarkable story of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who travels involuntarily through time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whose life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Clare's passionate love affair endures across a sea of time and captures the two lovers in an impossibly romantic trap, and it is Audrey Niffenegger's cinematic storytelling that makes the novel's unconventional chronology so vibrantly triumphant. An enchanting debut and a spellbinding tale of fate and belief in the bonds of love, The Time Traveler's Wife is destined to captivate readers for years to come.… (more)

Eight editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

HighBridge

Two editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 1598872028, 1598877372

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,348,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible