The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey…

The Time Traveler's Wife (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Audrey Niffenegger

32,196113023 (4.12)1073
Member:fairywings
Title:The Time Traveler's Wife
Authors:Audrey Niffenegger
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2004), Paperback, 546 pages
Collections:Your library, Read and own
Rating:****1/2

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (2003)

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (MissPip)
    MissPip: Serious, contemporary literature of first rate caliber. Wearing a interesting mantle of science fiction, this alternative history of Britain relies on heart-breakingly real emotion and impeccable writing, rather than scientific cleverness, to entertain, endear, and allow us to empathize with these all-too-human characters.… (more)
    Replay by Ken Grimwood (amysisson, hyper7, ahstrick)
    amysisson: Also a character-based examination of a strange phenomenon.
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (readerbabe1984)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Fantasy with enough reality to make it seem plausible
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald (JGKC)
    My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares (distractedmusician)
    distractedmusician: Love that transcends the limits of time.
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (thebookpile)
    The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer (SqueakyChu)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (TomWaitsTables)
    The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve (krizia_lazaro)
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These moving and thought-provoking novels portray characters whose lives are continually disrupted by time shifts -- in Life after Life, the protagonist repeatedly dies and comes back to life, while in The Time Traveler's Wife, the protagonist time-travels involuntarily.… (more)
    Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman (emr093)
    emr093: If you are interested in various concepts of time, other than linear.
    Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    The Muse of Edouard Manet by M. Clifford (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another romantic time travel story with roots in Chicago.
    Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone (becksdakex)
    Hourglass by Myra McEntire (amz310783)
    amz310783: Both have time travel in them, but not in an obvious sci-fi way. Also both have love stories
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (norabelle414)
    The Dive from Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer (jbvm)
    jbvm: Also about a complicated relationship.
    Will You Be There? by Guillaume Musso (Liyanna)
    The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue (cataylor)

2014 (1)
. (2)

English (1,090)  German (9)  Dutch (6)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Swedish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,126)
Bold plot and straightforward writing. Some chapters are stronger than others. Wish it were 300 pages instead of 592. Still, a good read. ( )
  zoegreenfeld | Sep 20, 2016 |
More like the time traveler and his wife.

I never imagined that I would like this book. I've heard of it. I had a basic understanding of what it was about. But never would I have thought that I would enjoy it as much as I did. I'm not usually big on romance novels, but this was pleasantly surprising with the aspect of time traveling and how that affects the characters. And for anyone that is put off by heavy sci-fi elements (time traveling, anyone?), then don't worry. The only thing you have to realize is that the Henry's perspective is non-linear, whereas Claire's perspective is, for the most part. You are given the ages of the characters and the date for each chapter, so anyone with a basic understanding of calendar dates will have no trouble keeping up time travelers.

As an audiobook, it was really well done. Good writing usually equates to good audiobook narration, and this one does not disappointment. With two narrators, one for Henry's perspective and one for Claire's perspective, it makes it easier to mentally keep track of who you are following. Even someone like me who likes to listen to narration at a much faster pace, I had no trouble keeping track of the progress of narration due to some excellent voice work.

Definitely recommend. ( )
  jms001 | Sep 18, 2016 |
LMIC 2006; rabck from flossie771; Fabulous. Henry has "chrono-displacement disorder", a genetic mutation that causes him to time travel mostly into the past, occasionally into the future. Clare is the girl that he often meets in his travels in her childhood, although since he's older than when they really meet, and his memory is linear, he doesn't know her, but she knows him. Time travel causes him to just poof, disappear, leaving behind all his clothes; and he lands in wherever naked, no money, no food. Occasionally, two of his selves travel to the same place, like when his adult self teaches his elementary school self how to obtain clothes and pick pockets for money. The beginning is a bit weird, with the adult Henry meeting the child Clare; but when they finally meet each other, the relationship struggles are just like any other couple. Movingly funny during the middle section, but heartbreaking towards the end. ( )
1 vote nancynova | Aug 20, 2016 |
I have read this book a few times as well as watched the movie quite a few times. If you look at the book separately from the movie, both are wonderful works. It gets a little long towards the end but you really come to feel for the characters, both the time traveller and his wife. ( )
  lotoflivinglefttodo | Jul 21, 2016 |
"The Time Traveler's Wife depicts the effects of time travel on Henry and Clare's marriage and their passionate love for each other, as the story unfolds from both points of view."
  MerrittGibsonLibrary | Jun 30, 2016 |
Um, I don't say this very often but I could NOT finish this book. I originally chose it as my 'April Book of the Month' because I was challenged to read a book that has been sitting on my 'to-read' list for WAY TOO LONG and also one that I had tried to read before but didn't get through. Feeling like I hadn't given this book a fair chance, it seemed like a no-brainer choice. However... it just isn't a book for me. I made it MUCH further than I have in the past (approx. 200 pages) but the fact that I am not 'craving' the read that I normally do, I know that I am done. This book will be entered into the vault, never to be seen again (at least by these eyes).

I'm sad to add a book to the 'couldn't finish' list, but... life is too short to read something I am not enjoying!!

The triumph of the book is the triumph of normality, of setting up a decent family life even if you are constantly dissappearing from it, of being loyal to somebody with what Niffenegger finally explains as a genetic dysfunction - chrono-displacement, as she calls it.
added by mikeg2 | editThe guardian, Natasha Walter (Jan 31, 2004)

"The Time Traveler's Wife" can be an exasperating read, but as a love story it has its appeal: Refreshingly, the novel portrays long-term commitment as something lively and exuberant rather than dutiful and staid, evoking both the comforts it brings us and the tribulations we learn to live with.

Niffenegger, despite her moving, razor-edged prose, doesn't claim to be a romantic. She writes with the unflinching yet detached clarity of a war correspondent standing at the sidelines of an unfolding battle. She possesses a historian's eye for contextual detail. This is no romantic idyll.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Kathy Balog (Sep 24, 2003)

About halfway through Audrey Niffenegger's debut novel, The Time Traveler's Wife, you realize you're going to be devastated. You love the characters, you're deeply involved in their lives, you can sense tragedy coming and you know it's going to hurt. But there's no way you can stop reading... Niffenegger structures the novel clearly enough that the timelines never get tangled, and her writing is so strong you'd keep going even if you did get confused.
added by Shortride | editBookPage, Becky Ohlsen (Sep 1, 2003)

Audrey Niffeneggerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hope, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lefkow, LaurelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swahn, Sven ChristerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clock time is our bank manager,
tax collector, police inspector;
this inner time is our wife.

— J. B. PRIESTLEY,
Man and Time
Love After Love

The time will come
when, with elation,
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

—DEREK WALCOTT
Oh not because happiness exists,
that too-hasty profit snatched from approaching loss.
But because truly being here is so much; because everything here apparently needs us, this fleeting world, in which some strange way keeps calling us. Us, the most fleeting of all.
. . . Ah, but what can we take along
into that other real? Not the art of looking,
which is learned so slowly, and nothing that happened here. Nothing.
The sufferings, then. And, above all, the heaviness,
and the long experience of love,—just what is wholly
unsayable.

Norbert Charles Tamandl
February 11, 1915-May 23, 1957
PROLOGUE

Clare:
It's hard being left behind.
FIRST DATE, ONE
Saturday, October 26, 1991 (Henry is 28, Clare is 20)

Clare: The library is cool and smells like carpet cleaner, although all I can see is marble.
Henry: I didn't know you were coming or I'd have cleaned up a little more. My life, I mean, not just the apartment.
I imagined my mother laughing at me, her well-plucked eyebrows raised high at the sight of her half-Jewish son marooned in the midst of Christmas in Goyland.

The Time Traveler's Wife is an unconventional love story that centers on a man with a strange genetic disorder that causes him to unpredictably time travel, and his wife, an artist who has to cope with his frequent absences and dangerous experiences.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 015602943X, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:46 -0400)

A dazzling novel in the most untraditional fashion, this is the remarkable story of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who travels involuntarily through time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whose life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Clare's passionate love affair endures across a sea of time and captures the two lovers in an impossibly romantic trap, and it is Audrey Niffenegger's cinematic storytelling that makes the novel's unconventional chronology so vibrantly triumphant. An enchanting debut and a spellbinding tale of fate and belief in the bonds of love, The Time Traveler's Wife is destined to captivate readers for years to come.… (more)

HighBridge

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge.

Editions: 1598872028, 1598877372

HighBridge Audio

2 editions of this book were published by HighBridge Audio.

Editions: 161174430X, 1622319095

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,183,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible