Mr. Norris skifter tog by Christopher…

Mr. Norris skifter tog (1945)

by Christopher Isherwood, Werner Svendsen (Translator)

Member:2810michael
Title:Mr. Norris skifter tog
Authors:Christopher Isherwood
Other authors:Werner Svendsen (Translator)
Info:[Kbh.] : Signet, 2002.
Collections:Your library, 2012 (inactive)
Tags:Berlin, Tyskland, Nazisme, Mellemkrigstiden, 1930-1939, Britisk litteratur, Skrevet 1930-1939, Roman

The Berlin Stories by Christopher Isherwood (1945)

English (25)  Danish (1)  All languages (26)
Gay City Staff Pick: Heard of the musical "cabaret?" Well, this is the collection of semi-true stories it's based on. Check. It. Out! ( )
  GayCityLGBTLibrary | Jul 16, 2016 |
My brother loaned me this book in response to my loaning him "Monuments Men". Being it takes place in the European Theatre of WWII he thought I might enjoy another perspective of that time and place.

Christopher Isherwood lived in Berlin from 1929 to 1933, the time when Hitler was working his way into power. A charming city of café life and a nighttime dark side of wild life and fantasts. Intrigue, vice, millionaires and poor people all to be found around Berlin.

Isherwood travelled in both worlds, teaching English to those who wanted to learn to appear better in status. This book is fiction, but it is based on real people in a real world. It is more of a memoir of his time in Berlin. He introduces you to a variety of people. Frl. Schroeder, whom he rents a room from. Once she was well off but now she has to rent rooms in her flat to meet the rent. Mysterious Mr. Norris, a debauchee who loves luxury but has no obvious source on income. Sally Bowles, who travels in the demimonde of Berlin on the kindness of men. She was a character model for the stage play "I Am a Camera" and "Cabaret".

Isherwood takes you into his world with his discriptives of the people and places. You are there during the conversations and happenings. You can feel the tension that is slowly building from the changing of the political scene. There is also the humour of many of the situations that Isherwood finds himself in.

This book is really two books under one cover. They are related by time and place.

I definitely enjoyed this goodread. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
Yet another novel colored with my memory of falling in love with Brooklyn. Mr. "Ishyvoo", as the German's pronounce the name, is living in I think pre-Hitler Berlin. The loosely-woven stories for a general pattern of life and high-debauched times right before the Brownshirt Bureaucracy took over. The novel is the kernel that flowered into the hit Broadway play "Cabaret." I remember this one line (because I stole it): "I am a camera." ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
The basis for _Cabaret_, this book gives one a very good picture of Berlin just prior to he biginning of the WW2. It's a pity that the world failed to take heed of Isherwood's warnings about the Nazis (until it was too late). ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
THE BERLIN STORIES reflects Christopher Isherwood’s time spent living in Berlin between 1929-1933. The first half is his novel “The Last of Mr. Norris”, and the second half is “Goodbye to Berlin”.
Written in first-person narrative, the stories are a thinly veiled account of his interactions with other Berliners.
The stories are somewhat interesting, but even though the characters are initially painted vividly, no character stayed around long enough for me to develop any compassion for them.
~Stephanie ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |

Christopher Isherwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Maupin, ArmisteadIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My first impression was that the stranger's eyes were of an unusually light blue.
Both the UK and US versions of the title (Mr Norris Changes Trains & The Last of Mr Norris) are combined in this work when coupled with Goodbye to Berlin.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0811200701, Paperback)

Christopher Isherwood was a diverse writer whose accomplishments included The Mortmere Stories (Edward Upward Series), A Single Man and a translation of The Song of God (Bhagavad Gita). But many critics hailed The Berlin Stories, the reissue of two of his best novels, as his finest. In the book, a man named Christopher Isherwood, who is and is not the author, writes a story of exile, combining the best of Isherwood's real life with the best of the life he imagined.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:14 -0400)

A two-in-one volume containing the works The Last of Mr. Norris and Goodbye to Berlin finds the characters of Sally Bowles, Frulein Schroeder, and the doomed Landauers caught up by the nightlife, danger, and mystique of 1931 Berlin.

75 wanted5 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,130,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible