Mr. Norris skifter tog by Christopher…

Mr. Norris skifter tog (1945)

by Christopher Isherwood, Werner Svendsen (Translator)

1,354None5,745 (3.97)31
Member:2810michael
Title:Mr. Norris skifter tog
Authors:Christopher Isherwood
Other authors:Werner Svendsen (Translator)
Info:[Kbh.] : Signet, 2002.
Collections:Your library, 2012 (inactive)
Tags:Berlin, Tyskland, Nazisme, Mellemkrigstiden, 1930-1939, Britisk litteratur, Skrevet 1930-1939, Roman

The Berlin Stories by Christopher Isherwood (1945)

English (15)  Danish (1)  All languages (16)
Christopher Isherwood found himself in Berlin in the 1930s - a place of (elliptically described in the books) sexual liberation amidst the brief flowering of the Weimar republic and the tense days of the rise of Hitler. Isherwood notably described himself as a camera. THese books present snapshots, or perhaps short films - glimpses into personalities and a world on the brink, but for the present enjoying its pleasures and its political significance. Important reading for any 20th century historians, but also a very pleasurable read for anyone interested in people, oddities and politics
  otterley | Jan 11, 2014 |
As most people know, The Berlin Stories formed the nucleus for John Van Druten's play I Am a Camera and later for the Kander and Ebb musical Cabaret. I had both read the play and seen the movie before I read this book, while I was living in Berlin. As often happens to me in such cases, I enjoyed the books even more than the dramatizations (which nearly always have to leave things out, unless they have to add things for padding, which is usually worse). I would highly recommend these stories for a peep into Berlin in the pre-WWII period. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
Great read. Read this then watch Mack the Knife, listen to Kurt Weil, think about Weimar Germany. ( )
  Tpoi | Aug 10, 2011 |
This is an odd collection - not quite a collection of short stories, yet the 'short novel' idea is not quite true. The first of the two books-in one here is a novella about a rather slippery character whom the narrator slowly comes to realise is definitely not all, and yet more, than he seems. There are some giggle aloud passages here.

The next section is, as the author himself admits, chapters that were meant to be part of a larger novel that was never written. Therefore they are more rightly character studies than stand-alone short stories, and have their weaknesses because of this. If you are looking for a short story version of 'Cabaret' this is not going to be what you are looking for. However Isherwood does give a very good insight into live in Berlin between the wars, and if you are looking for that, this is a good place to start. ( )
1 vote ForrestFamily | Sep 6, 2010 |
I had high hopes for this book but was left rather disappointed. While the first story is an interesting caper, the ones in the second half of the book are rather tedious and as tiresome as the characters. I suppose this will leave me to be burnt in effigy by those fans of 'Cabaret', but I found the hodge podge of those assembled in the second half to be tiresome bores. ( )
1 vote manatree | Jan 3, 2010 |
My first impression was that the stranger's eyes were of an unusually light blue.
Both the UK and US versions of the title (Mr Norris Changes Trains & The Last of Mr Norris) are combined in this work when coupled with Goodbye to Berlin.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0811200701, Paperback)

Christopher Isherwood was a diverse writer whose accomplishments included The Mortmere Stories (Edward Upward Series), A Single Man and a translation of The Song of God (Bhagavad Gita). But many critics hailed The Berlin Stories, the reissue of two of his best novels, as his finest. In the book, a man named Christopher Isherwood, who is and is not the author, writes a story of exile, combining the best of Isherwood's real life with the best of the life he imagined.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:00 -0400)

A two-in-one volume containing the works The Last of Mr. Norris and Goodbye to Berlin finds the characters of Sally Bowles, Fršulein Schroeder, and the doomed Landauers caught up by the nightlife, danger, and mystique of 1931 Berlin.

89 wanted5 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,463,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible