Maximum Ride #3: Saving the World and Other…

Maximum Ride #3: Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports (edition 2008)

by James Patterson

Info:Little, Brown and Company (2008), Edition: REP REI, Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Wishlist, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports by James Patterson

action (31) adventure (79) Book 3 (9) ebook (16) Fang (9) fantasy (84) fiction (94) flying (12) genetic engineering (35) genetics (14) James Patterson (21) Maximum Ride (62) Maximum Ride Series (27) mutants (14) mystery (11) own (14) paranormal (17) read (18) science fiction (141) series (48) sff (12) suspense (16) teen (27) thriller (30) to-read (20) unread (9) urban fantasy (10) YA (54) young adult (72) young adult fiction (9)

### From Wikipedia

Maximum Ride: Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports is the third book in the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. It was released in the UK and the US on May 29, 2007. The series is set in the near future, and centers around the 'flock', a group of human-avian hybrids on the run from the scientists who created them. Read more - Shopping-Enabled Wikipedia on Amazon

**In the article: **Plot | Main Characters | Reception

### From Booklist

The end is near . . . or is it? So reads the tagline of Book 3 of the Maximum Ride series, suggesting that Patterson's best-selling series for YAs may expand beyond the trilogy originally plannednews that will be greeted enthusiastically by fans of its 14-year-old heroine. Slated for extermination by their scientist creators, rebel-mutant Max and other members of her flock, all of whom possess bird DNA and functioning wings, are on the lam again, their mission to save the world from a eugenics plot. Affection for the dauntless characters and misadventures that build on universal yearnings about sprouting wings and taking flight will hold readers. Mattson, Jennifer ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Audiobook. Cute series. Definitely meant for a younger audience, but I enjoy listening to the books. The production is well done with great voice acting and sound effects. The story itself is entertaining as well. I will continue to the series. ( )
  Barb_H | Apr 1, 2013 |
We all have flaws, we were not made to be perfect we were made to make mistakes and learn from them. This allows us to teach others and enlighten them with our knowledge and experiences, it a big part of our lives. But what if someone wanted to take that away and get rid of anyone with flaws, Maximum Ride and her flock are about to find out.
Maximum Ride in Saving the world and other extreme sports by James Patterson is a the leader of a group of hybrid kids with a tortuous upbringing. They thought they escaped the wrath of the scientists but once again they came back with more tricks up their sleeves. They traveled the world the past six months they made some mistakes and some memorable moments but now they are questioning whether it was real. They find out about the impending apocalypse that will be caused by the scientists that made them the way they are. And they find out a secret that could tear the flock apart.
When I picked up this book I already knew it was going to be great. This is the third book in the Maximum Ride series and this series does not disappoint. It is different than most fantasy books. It has the the magical element that is caused by science, it has the romance that most teens crave, but deep down it also has life lessons that we all can learn from.
  br13vike | Dec 6, 2012 |

Max and the gang - Fang, Iggy, the Gasman, Nudge, and Angel - have barely escaped the flying Erasers with their lives. Now Fang has a blog, getting help from kids around the world, and the younger of the Flock want to disappear and settle down. And Fang agrees. But when things go really wrong – Flyboys, the newest Erasers, are after them, and Fang decides to split, taking two of the Flock with him – hard life for the Flock might just get harder, what with Itex controlling the world and all. And while Jeb claims Max alone can save the world, she might need a little help from her family.
______________________________________________

My thoughts -
Yeeeee!!! Fast fast fast fast!! That’s how I feel every time I read these books, and this one is no exception. So much actions, all the time, and yet there are still so many personal aspects that draw in the readers and connect them to the characters. Saving the World was still not as good as the first book, but it was definitely better than the second. Thoroughly enjoyable!

Character notes -
Like I just said, I'm totally attached to the characters. In fact, this is the #1 reason I am still reading and enjoying this series. The way the Flock has to fight and work together and survive is inspiring, despite how unrealistic it all is.

Once again, Fang is my favorite. He makes me smile....and yes, giggle. I love his version of "changing Max's mind". ;) The other characters, as always, were amazing. And Ari was much better this time around.

Story notes -
I really like this story, but honestly, it's not the main draw for me. It's fun, fast, and enjoyable, but I'm not as emotionally attached to it or as fascinated by it as, say, Incarceron, or Entwined. However, I still love the story and am looking forward to reading more, even if the world and story-line aren't my favorites. Plus, this book had some WAY cool twists that raised questions and have me looking for answers!

Summing it up -
A lovely adventure. I look forward to what the fourth book, The Final Warning, has in store! I've heard - the Arctic? :)

For the parents -
Fang and Max throw each other "the bird". They kiss once. Fang and the Gasman describe pretty girls on the beach for blind Iggy, but not inappropriately. Ages 12+ ( )
  yearningtoread | Nov 26, 2011 |
The third book of the Maximum Ride series, just when you think you're getting closer to the end of the series, the kids begin facing new challenges in their travels.

When they find out that they are going to be "extinct" if they are captured by the school, their mission becomes even more important. They want to continue living but they know there is more and the world is now in danger, not just them.

The stories are getting better. Can't wait to start the next book.
  blondierocket | Oct 16, 2011 |
Dedicated to Kelly and Kevin Okun. And everybody out there who might love books, if they were given books that loved them back.
"We have meticulously crafted the skeleton of our new world," the Director proclaimed from the large TV screen in the conference room.

In this book Max and Fang split up having the most terrible fights. But then Max and her tony flock gets caught. She for help from Fang, but he's half way across the globe will he make it in time in order to save the world from destruction?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031615427X, Paperback)

In MAXIMUM RIDE: SAVING THE WORLD AND OTHER EXTREME SPORTS, the time has arrived for Max and her winged "Flock" to face their ultimate enemy and discover their original purpose: to defeat the takeover of "Re-evolution", a sinister experiment to re-engineer a select population into a scientifically superior master race...and to terminate the rest. Max, Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman, and Angel have always worked together to defeat the forces working against them--but can they save the world when they are torn apart, living in hiding and captivity, halfway across the globe from one another?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:03 -0400)

The time has come for Max, Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman, and Angel to face their ultimate enemy and, despite many obstacles, try to save the world from a sinister plan to re-engineer a select population into a scientifically superior master race.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,482,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible