Repent, Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman by…

Repent, Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman (edition 2009)

by Harlan Ellison

A rebel inhabits a world where conformity and punctuality are top priorities and the Ticktockman cannot accept the Harlequin's presence in his perfectly ordered world.
Member:Eggpants
Title:Repent, Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman
Authors:Harlan Ellison
Info:Publisher Unknown, Kindle Edition, 48 pages
Tags:to-read, x-150-or-less, auth-m

Repent, Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman: The Classic Story by Harlan Ellison

It really was the golden age of sci fi, wasn't it? Ellison was so clearly excited about the innovative possibilities of the genre. I love the way the odd writing style reflects and deepens the story. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
[Repent, Harlequin!, Said the Ticktockman](https://compositionawebb.pbworks.com/f/%5C'Repent,+Harlequin!%5C'+Said+the+Tickt...) by *Harlan Ellison* is a metaphor against an over-reglemented world. It's pretty old, and I'm afraid to my eyes it hasn't aged too well. I totally agree with the message, and the scenario isn't bad either, and the language is poetic, but it didn't capture me at all. Maybe something got due to me not being a native speaker, though. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Classic. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | May 20, 2018 |
This edition of Harlan Ellison's 1964 short story, "Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman, features illustrations by Rick Berry (famous for the cover of William Gibson's Neuromancer) and design layout by Arnie Fenner. The story follows the Harlequin, a figure who challenges the highly regimented world of the future in which those who waste time have it docked from their lives by the Ticktockman. Berry's illustrations are lush and evocative and perfectly fit the slightly nonsensical style that Ellison adopts for his story. Fans of Ellison's work or dystopian sci-fi will find this a welcome addition to their bookcases. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Dec 8, 2017 |
In a future where humanity has become obsessed with timekeeping and punctuality, a single mysterious figure tries to make a change, by wasting everybody's time.

Try reading that in a deep movie trailer voice.

“Repent, Harlequin!” Said the Ticktockman is a whimsical and satirical dystopian short story that won both the Hugo Award for Best Short Story and the Nebula Award for Best Short Story in 1965. In this future we have become so obsessed with punctuality that tardiness has become a crime and the duration of your tardiness will be deducted from your lifespan. This law is implemented by installing a device in everyone, this device is controlled by a “cardioplate” which can turn off a person’s heart if his allotted lifetime runs out. The people’s lifetimes are governed by “The Master Timekeeper”, also called “The Ticktockman”, but never to his face. The Harlequin is a superhero of sorts whose only powers are his imagination and defiance. His acts of rebellion are silly public stunts that throw people off their work schedule and cause the unthinkable: delays.

“The System had been seven minutes worth of disrupted. It was a tiny matter, one hardly worthy of note, but in a society where the single driving force was order and unity and promptness and clocklike precision and attention to the clock, reverence of the gods of the passage of time, it was a disaster of major importance.”

The theme of the story is not exactly subtle as Ellison clearly indicates it in the text:

“We no longer let time serve us, we serve time and we are slaves of the schedule, worshippers of the sun's passing, bound into a life predicated on restrictions because the system will not function if we don't keep the schedule tight.”

This is a terrific little story, the prose is wonderfully stylized, surreal and whimsical. I don’t know how relevant the theme is today, certainly I am late for work every day and I tend to get away with it!

_______________________
Note: You can read this story for free online, just Google* the title. I don't want to post a download link when I am not sure of the story's copyright status.

* I am not sure what would happen if you were to Bing it! ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
This one sent with love and endless friendship, to Susan's and my dear chum and pal, the svelte and non-pareil sweetie, Anne McCaffrey.
My soul would be an outlaw.
He serves the State best who opposes the State most. - Thoreau (on back of dust jacket)
This work is a special illustrated edition that includes the story, "Repent, Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman" and should not be combined with the short story work "Repent, Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,829,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible