Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Book of Mormon is a volume of holy scripture comparable to the Bible. It is a record of God's dealings with the ancient inhabitants of the Americas and contains, as does the Bible, the fulness of the everlasting gospel.
    By the Hand of Mormon: The American Scripture that Launched a New World Religion by Terryl L. Givens (richjj)
    richjj: A thoughtful telling of the emergence of the Book of Mormon and how it influenced the development of the Mormon religion.
    Understanding the Book of Mormon: A Reader's Guide by Grant Hardy (richjj)
    richjj: A careful review of the narrative structure and literary elements of the Book of Mormon.
    The "Book of Mormon": A Biography by Paul C. Gutjahr (richjj)
    richjj: A scholarly study of how Mormons and outsiders thought about and used the Book of Mormon, since the time of its publication up to today.
    No Man Knows My History : The Life of Joseph Smith by Fawn M. Brodie (neverstopreading)
    neverstopreading: It is important to understand the creator of the Book of Mormon as you read it.
    The Kingdom of the Cults by Walter Ralston Martin (Anonymous user)

For 2019 our family again finished reading the Book of Mormon on the last day of the year. What a delightful way to finish the year. I learn more every time I read it.
----------
Our mission president challenged us to read the Book of Mormon through during the month of August 2015. It was a different experience reading it that quickly. Different in an interesting way. We were to go through it marking what caught our attention with a black pencil. During the month of September we are to read it through with a red pencil marking parts that tell of Christ. During October we are to go through it marking admonitions with a blue pencil. So, by the end of the year I will have read it through three times this year.
----------
This is a book that I am getting into the habit of reading every year. This is the word of God. It is clear. (July 13, 2014)
---------------
I read it again in 2013. For me, the scriptures (not just the Book of Mormon, but all of the scriptures) are starting to fit together in larger pieces. Instead of just being isolated meaningful or beautiful verses, I start to see themes and connections.

Some themes, such as conquest and greed appear in other books. One example is another book that I just finished: [b:Marco Polo: From Venice to Xanadu|553783|Marco Polo From Venice to Xanadu|Laurence Bergreen|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1320546509l/553783._SX50_.jpg|541012]. However, in scripture they come across much more clearly, and the scriptures have God's admonition to avoid those perversions.
---------------
Our family finished reading the Book of Mormon this evening, the last day of 2012. What a wonderful way to end the year. ( )
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
Rather than a review, here is a link describing this rare edition. Although the author of the article says the edition was published in 1980, mine has the date 1976 on the title page, the cover is a fairly heavy paperboard, and the gold color is quite durable, not a thin, fragile metallic leaf.
The books were pulled from circulation in 1983 due to a dramatic controversy over the inscribed characters; however, if you take them merely as an illustration, it is an attractive addition to a bookshelf.
  librisissimo | Mar 24, 2020 |
Suggests that Native Americans are the lost tribes of Israel and gives a history of them after they left Palestine and had their golden plates. This is the basis of a religion so I treated it with respect, but total disbelief. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
Used book - a serious reader had it before! dh
  AlanBudreau | Apr 5, 2018 |
I know these books are the word of God and they are changing my life for the better.
Je sais que ces livres sont la parole de Dieu et ils changent ma vie pour le mieux. ( )
  Bekalyn | Feb 9, 2018 |
Leroy Robertson wrote an Oratorio for the Book of Mormon published 1953.

Smith, Josephprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saintsmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a concordance

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days: yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.
Brief Analysis of the Book of Mormon: Three classes of Record Plates are indicated on the title-page of the Book of Mormon, namely: 1. The Plates of Nephi... 2. The Plates of Mormon... 3. The Plates of Ether...
This work is for editions that contain the Book of Mormon only. Do not combine with editions that also contain other works such as the Doctrine and Covenants or the Pearl of Great Price.

A smaller format edition. The cover was described to me as bonded leather. The gold embossing on the front cover is not deeply imprinted.
Thin India paper, Bible Paper. Printed in China

Legacy Library: Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Joseph Smith's legacy profile.

See Joseph Smith's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,511,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible