The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith

The Book of Mormon (1830)

by Joseph Smith (Translator), The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

4,034None1,260 (3.3)89
    No Man Knows My History : The Life of Joseph Smith by Fawn M. Brodie (Texsain)
    Texsain: It is important to understand the creator of the Book of Mormon as you read it.
    The Kingdom of the Cults by Walter Martin (Anonymous user)

Interesting! ( )
  Chris.Graham | Jul 30, 2013 |
Hardcover
  pastorroy | Jul 16, 2013 |
Best book on earth! Literally! ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
A book to be read and reread and reread time and time again. ( )
  landlocked54 | Nov 26, 2012 |
I can't think about this book without being overwhelmed by how terrible the writing was. Despite having been edited many times over since its initial publication, the language remains awkward, stilted, and repetitive. The overuse of phrases such as "it came to pass" or "wherefore" is especially galling.

As for the book itself, I was surprised by how vanilla it was. I was expecting some sort of weirdness, but for the most part was let down. It does contain the violence, racism, and misogyny endemic to all the Abrahamic religions, but it does so in ways that aren't particularly interesting. There are many wars and revolutions, but there is little to distinguish one from another. Any miracles that take place seem to be little more than poor imitations of miracles from the Bible.

There's nothing particularly wrong with The Book of Mormon; I just don't understand the necessity. If you want to worship Jesus, I don't see what Mormonism brings to the table that wasn't already covered in the Bible. I wasn't a huge fan of that book, either, but at the very least, it was better written and a lot more interesting than this one. ( )
1 vote jawalter | Nov 18, 2012 |
I do not doubt that Mormons are inspired by the words associated with Joseph Smith. But . . . I simply cannot imagine anyone setting those words to music the way Handel did with the Bible in his oratorios. The Book of Mormon has a structure. It does not sing.

Smith, JosephTranslatorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saintsmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Is abridged in

Inspired

Is a study of

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days: yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.
Brief Analysis of the Book of Mormon: Three classes of Record Plates are indicated on the title-page of the Book of Mormon, namely: 1. The Plates of Nephi... 2. The Plates of Mormon... 3. The Plates of Ether...
This work is for editions that contain the Book of Mormon only. Do not combine with editions that also contain other works such as the Doctrine and Covenants or the Pearl of Great Price.

The Book of Mormon is a volume of scripture comparable to the Bible. It is a record of God's dealings with the ancient inhabitants of the Americas and contains, as does the Bible, the fullness of the everlasting gospel.

The book was written by many ancient prophets by the spirit of prophecy and revelation. Their words, written on gold plates, were quoted and abridged by a prophet-historian named Mormon. The record gives an account of two great civilizations. One came from Jerusalem in 600 B.C., and afterward separated into two nations, known as the Nephites and the Lamanites. The other came much earlier when the Lord confounded the tongues at the Tower of Babel. This group is known as the Jaredites. After thousands of years, all were destroyed except the Lamanites, and they are the principal ancestors of the American Indians.

The crowning event recorded in the Book of Mormon is the personal ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ among the Nephites soon after his resurrection. It puts forth the doctrines of the gospel, outlines the plan of salvation, and tells men what they must do to gain peace in this life and eternal salvation in the life to come.

After Mormon completed his writings, he delivered the account to his son Moroni, who added a few words of his own and hid up the plates in the hill Cumorah. On September 21, 1823, the same Moroni, the a glorified, resurrected being, appeared to the Prophet Joseph Smith and instructed him relative to the ancient record and its destined translation into the English language.

In due course the plates were delivered to Joseph Smith, who translated them by the gift and power of God. The record is now published in many languages as a new and additional witness that Jesus Christ is the Sone of the living God and that all who will come unto him and obey the laws and ordinances of his gospel may be saved.

Concerning this record the Prophet Joseph Smith said: "I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book."

In addition to Joseph Smith, the Lord provided for eleven others to see the gold plates for themselves and to be special witnesses of the truth and divinity of the Book of Mormon. Their written testimonies are included herewith as "The Testimony of Three Witnesses" and "The Testimony of Eight Witnesses."

We invite all men everywhere to read the Book of Mormon, to ponder in their hearts the message it contains, and the to ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if the book is true. Those who pursue this course and ask in faith will gain a testimony of its truth and divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost. (See Moroni 10:3-5.)

Those who gain this divine witness from the holy Spirit will also come to know by the same power that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world, that Joseph Smith is his revelator and prophet in these last days, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord's kingdom once again established on the earth, preparatory to the second coming of the Messiah.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:07 -0400)

The Book of Mormon is a volume of holy scripture comparable to the Bible. It is a record of God's dealings with the ancient inhabitants of the Americas and contains, as does the Bible, the fulness of the everlasting gospel.

Legacy Library: Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Joseph Smith's legacy profile.

See Joseph Smith's author page.

3 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,470,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible