What On Earth Have I Done?: Stories,…

What On Earth Have I Done?: Stories, Observations, and Affirmations (edition 2007)

by Robert Fulghum

Member:Simple.life
Title:What On Earth Have I Done?: Stories, Observations, and Affirmations
Authors:Robert Fulghum
Info:St. Martin's Press (2007), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:Essay, Inspirational

What On Earth Have I Done?: Stories, Observations, and Affirmations by Robert Fulghum

Robert Fulghum always makes me smiles since his "Kindergarten" book. His stories are lighthearted and motivational. In Fulghum's mind, life is (or could be) simple but beautiful. This book has similar overtones as his other books. ( )
  Simple.life | Dec 23, 2012 |
Yawn...

A book of lessons for people that have never had a moment of self-reflection in their entire lives.This is the kind of book you find on the "Self-Help" shelf next to the magazines of your local Price Chopper.Or at the bottom of a box of books labeled "Christian" at your local Salvation Army.But it's neither self-help nor Christian. I don't really know what it is. Besides cheesy.

I saw this book in a bookstore once. Opened it and came to a chapter on Moab. Moab! I love Moab! What are the chances? I made a mental note to check it out in the future. And I did. When I saw it going for 90% off at a bookstore clearance sale.

It's not awful. I give the guy credit for being so genuinely happy with his life. For always looking at the glass as half full. His couple of travel stories weren't half bad. He did have one rather touching story on the meaning of life. But the other 200 pages were pathetic.

Don't bother unless you enjoy ABC Family dramas. ( )
  jrapala | Sep 8, 2010 |
Another moving, entertaining collection of essays. Fulghum’s mission seems to be to fully engage with the world around him, and he continues to carry it out as meaningfully as he did way back when he wrote Everything I Need to Know, I Learned in Kindergarten. I often found myself laughing out loud and reading parts out loud to my husband. A bit where he goes jogging in Crete is particularly hilarious. To them, he looks like a priest dressed only in his underwear, and in his mangling of the spoken and unspoken Greek language, he calls out “squid” for hello and gives them the equivalent of the finger when he means to wave. I also especially enjoyed the last essay, which speaks of finding the right “league” and the right “scale” to be successful. A dose of Fulghum reminds one to slow down, to look for wisdom and meaning in unexpected places, to find one’s place in the world and be content with it, and never to let fear of looking foolish hold you back. ( )
  jholcomb | May 30, 2009 |
My house in Seattle is across the street from an elementary school.

Robert Fulghum's new book begins with a question we've all asked ourselves: "What on Earth have I done?"  As Fulghum finds out, the answer is never easy and, almost always, surprising.  For the last couple of years, Fulghum has been traveling the world - from Seattle to the Moab Desert to Crete - looking for a few fellow travelers interested in thinking along with him as he delights in the unexpected: trick-or-treating with your grandchildren dressed like a large rabbit, pots of daffodils blooming in mid-November, a view of the earth from outer space, the mysterious night sounds of the desert, every man's trip to a department store to buy socks, the raucous all-night long feast that is Easter in Greece, the trials and tribulations of plumbing problems and the friendship one can strike up with someone who doesn't share the same language. What on Earth Have I Done? is an armchair tour of everyday life as seen by Robert Fulghum, one of America's great essayists, a man who has two feet planted firmly on the earth, one eye on the heavens and, at times, a tongue planted firmly in his cheek. Fulghum writes to his fellow travelers, with a sometimes light heart, about the deep and vexing mysteries of being alive and says, "This is my way of bringing the small boat of my life within speaking distance of yours.  Hello…"

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:23 -0400)

For the last couple of years, Fulghum has been traveling the world--from Seattle to the Moab Desert to Crete--looking for a few fellow travelers interested in thinking along with him as he delights in the unexpected. Here is an armchair tour of everyday life as seen by one of America's great essayists, a man who has two feet planted firmly on the earth, one eye on the heavens and, at times, a tongue planted firmly in his cheek.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,471,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible