French Revolution by Christopher Hibbert

French Revolution (edition 1993)

by Christopher Hibbert

Member:adghate
Title:French Revolution
Authors:Christopher Hibbert
Info:Penguin Books, Limited (UK) (1993), Paperback, 352 pages

The Days of the French Revolution by Christopher Hibbert

English (6)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (7)
Terrific popular history of everyday life during the French Revolution. The chapter on the Septembrists is truly frightening over 200 years later. Such cruel barbarous acts I cannot even imagine. The French revolutions behaved like animals and I cannot forgive them to this day. It is true that not all behaved that way but too many were cruel and violent. Hibbert is a great non scholarly historian and I strongly recommend this book. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Apr 2, 2013 |
1694 The Days of the French Revolution, by Christopher Hibbert (read 14 Feb 1982) This book is footnoteless and makes no pretense to scholarliness. But it was published in 1980 and is written in the usual lively Hibbert style. The time of the French Revolution was an unbelievable time--and the events never cease to amaze. But this book attempts to cover too much, and so I was not as intrigued by it as I have been by some other books I have read on this subject--see, e.g., Epitaph for Kings, which I read in July 1975. Maybe I should read a good book on the rise of Napoleon. The last section of this book deals with that rather summarily. [On 13 Oct 2008 I read Europe and the French Imperium 1799-1814, by Geoffrey Bruun, and I thought it did a good job telling of the rise of Napoleon.] ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Nov 14, 2008 |
Hibbert states that his intention in writing this book was partly to provide a readable introduction to the works of other historians, and by that standard he succeeded. There isn't much depth or analysis here, but since I knew almost nothing about the Revolution before I read this book, I've found it very useful as a basic summary of the important events and persons and a skeleton on which to place further knowledge.
  kvyar | Apr 5, 2007 |
haven't read
  Simon1265 | Jan 14, 2007 |
This is a narrative history of the French Revolution from the meeting of the Estates General at Versailles in 1789 to the coup d'état of 18 Brumaire which brought Napoleon to power ten years later. (Author's Note)
In a quiet corner of the park at Versailles stands that delightful little pavillon of honey-coloured stone known as the Petit Trianon. (Prologue)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688169783, Paperback)

"Never was any such event so inevitable yet so completely unforeseen." Alexis de Tocqueville's 19th-century assessment of the French Revolution echoes the contemporary reaction to the monumental events that took place over 200 years ago. Christopher Hibbert's superb historical narrative The Days of the French Revolution captures de Tocqueville's immediacy but tempers it with the hindsight of history. Detailing events from the meeting of the Estates General at Versailles in 1789 to the coup d'état that brought Napoleon to power 10 years later, The Days of the French Revolution captures the passion and ferocity motivating the events and the individuals that most dramatically shaped the Revolution.

Originally published in 1990, The Days of the French Revolution maintains its supremacy among the plethora of French Revolution histories. An acclaimed author of over 25 historical and biographical studies, Hibbert presents complexly related events in a logical, readable format and supplies plenty of historical background and detail without sacrificing clarity or narrative flow. He writes for the general reader unfamiliar with Revolution history, introducing them to individuals as diverse as Marie Antoinette, the young lawyer Danton, the journalist Marat, and the Girondin, sans-culotte and extremist Enragé political factions, weaving their fates together, and adeptly illustrating how they influenced the Revolution and how the Revolution, in turn, changed their lives. Maps, illustrations, a chronology of principle events, a glossary, and a list of major sources supplement Hibbert's eight chronologically ordered chapters, and his prologue, which focuses on the reign of Louis XVI, sets the scene for the events of 1789. At the same time entertaining and informative, The Days of the French Revolution allows its readers to forget that they are reading a book of history. --Bertina Loeffler Sedlack

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:10 -0400)

A narrative history of the cataclysmic events surrounding the French Revolution focuses on the events of significant days, from the storming of the Bastille to the bloody Terror and Napoleon's coup.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,112,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible