The Deluxe Transitive Vampire: The Ultimate…

The Deluxe Transitive Vampire: The Ultimate Handbook of Grammar for the… (edition 1993)

by Karen Elizabeth Gordon

Title:The Deluxe Transitive Vampire: The Ultimate Handbook of Grammar for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed
Authors:Karen Elizabeth Gordon
Info:Pantheon (1993), Edition: Revised, Hardcover, 192 pages
Tags:English Grammar, Non-Fiction, Satire, Gothic, Narrative, Eccentric, Entertaining, Grammar Usages, Conventions, Handbook, Sentences, Nouns, Verbs, Adjectives, Adverbs, Agreements, Phrases, Clauses, Fragments, Run-ons, Middle School, High School, Ages 12-18

The Transitive Vampire by Karen Elizabeth Gordon

Sin and Syntax: How to Craft Wickedly Effective Prose by Constance Hale (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Even more readable than Karen Elizabeth Gordon and also very funny. And easier to learn from, if that's your goal.

This grammar guide's quirky gimmick is that the example sentences are all dark and supernatural-themed, Victorian-flavored, vaguely erotic, or just plain weird. (E.g., "To nuzzle flagpoles is her secret desire," "If I die first, will you tuck me into my casket?" and "The werewolf had a toothache.") This is at least more interesting than the standard "John gave the ball to Mary" stuff, but it didn't necessarily work all that well for me. If anything, it's kind of distracting, and it doesn't make up for the fact that the grammar lessons themselves are very dry and focused more on providing names for all the possible parts of a sentence than on teaching you how to use them well. Plus, unsurprisingly, there are points upon which it gets overly pedantic. There are definitely better, and livelier, grammar guides out there. Still, it'll be worth hanging on to in case I need to quickly look up the difference between a participle and a gerund, or if I ever meet a Goth in need of grammar lessons. ( )
  bragan | Oct 1, 2015 |
This is a great book! Although it us a pretty thorough text about grammar, it is dressed in so much hilarity and freshness that it is pleasurable to read. I was surprised by the fact that it was published in 1984, as there is nothing about it that feels dated. I appreciate the pictures that are dispersed throughout the book as well; they are very enjoyably creepy. I recommend this book for middle school students all the way up to adulthood. For those who struggle with learning grammar, the light humor should make it more bearable for you ( )
  epenton | May 6, 2014 |
No dust cover
  facetious | Oct 23, 2013 |
The Transitive Vampire: A handbook of grammar for the innocent, the eager and the doomed looked as if it would appeal to me. It was immediately obvious that the writer of the book has a sense of humor. I was eager to read a book about a serious topic that had been written in a less-than-serious manner.

The book is filled with example sentences. The example sentences are filled with nonsensical scenarios. "She was kicked by the soft shoe of destiny, and she landed in Wales." That sentence is to exemplify the proper use of an independent clause.

Here is a sentence that is given as an example for correcting the use of sentence fragments: "Sometimes bras and panties would cry out to her to touch them as she navigated her way through the boutique."

Here is one of my favorite examples, also illustrating the avoidance of sentence fragments: "Tripping over the ripped linoleum, she was floored."

While the sentence examples are quite clever and witty I have to say that I was left with more questions than answers. The author gives examples that are incorrect and then makes appropriate corrections. I found myself wanting greater detail in her explanations of clauses and such. I read the book with a cursory interest but I did not come away from it smarter than before I read it. Pity, that.

I also expected something quite different from the book and am very dismayed that I found it not to be as I had suspected it would be. Upon picking it up and glancing through it I thought the example sentences were, themselves, going to tell their own creative story. I am sorry to say that wasn't the case. My expectations were not met by this book. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Mar 27, 2011 |
This is a keeper. I love this book and I'll never sell it. The illustrations are reminiscent of Edward Gorey, whom I adore. What a find! The day I found this book was a very good day!
  Ice9Dragon | Apr 3, 2008 |
Dear Reader: this book is for you
It is in high spirits that this opulent, rapturous, vamped-up grammar drama leaps into your lap.
This is the original 1984 version of the book. Do not combine with the later updated 1993 Deluxe edition. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679418601, Hardcover)

Karen Elizabeth Gordon is no ordinary grammarian, and her works (including The New Well-Tempered Sentence, Torn Wings and Faux Pas, and The Disheveled Dictionary)--are no ordinary books of grammar. A special edition of the 1984 classic, The Deluxe Transitive Vampire is populated by a wickedly decadent cast of gargoyles, mastodons, murderous debutantes, and, yes, vampires (both transitive and otherwise), who cavort and consort in order to illustrate basic principles of grammar. The sentences are intoxicating--"How he loved to dangle his participles, brush his forelock off his forehead with his foreleg, and gaze into the aqueous depths"--but the rules and their explanations are as sound as any you might find in Strunk and White. Outlining the building blocks of the English language, from parts of speech to phrases and clauses, The Deluxe Transitive Vampire goes on to exorcise such grammatical demons as passive voice, fragments, comma splices, and run-on sentences. At last, a handbook of grammar you will actually want to read. In the words of Gordon's preface, "Howling, exploding, crackling, flickering with new life-forms, and drunk on fresh blood (some of mine is certainly missing), this deluxe edition reminds us on every page that words, too, have hoofs and wings to transport us far and deep."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

This guide to the rules of grammar presents amusing instructional sentences to demonstrate correct usage and is illustrated with old engravings

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,764,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible