The Deluxe Transitive Vampire: The Ultimate…

The Deluxe Transitive Vampire: The Ultimate Handbook of Grammar for the… (edition 1993)

by Karen Elizabeth Gordon

Member:apandrow
Title:The Deluxe Transitive Vampire: The Ultimate Handbook of Grammar for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed
Authors:Karen Elizabeth Gordon
Info:Pantheon (1993), Edition: Revised, Hardcover, 192 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:English Grammar, Non-Fiction, Satire, Gothic, Narrative, Eccentric, Entertaining, Grammar Usages, Conventions, Handbook, Sentences, Nouns, Verbs, Adjectives, Adverbs, Agreements, Phrases, Clauses, Fragments, Run-ons, Middle School, High School, Ages 12-18

The Transitive Vampire by Karen Elizabeth Gordon

Sin and Syntax: How to Craft Wickedly Effective Prose by Constance Hale (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Even more readable than Karen Elizabeth Gordon and also very funny. And easier to learn from, if that's your goal.

English (23)  Vietnamese (1)  All languages (24)
This is a great book! Although it us a pretty thorough text about grammar, it is dressed in so much hilarity and freshness that it is pleasurable to read. I was surprised by the fact that it was published in 1984, as there is nothing about it that feels dated. I appreciate the pictures that are dispersed throughout the book as well; they are very enjoyably creepy. I recommend this book for middle school students all the way up to adulthood. For those who struggle with learning grammar, the light humor should make it more bearable for you ( )
  epenton | May 6, 2014 |
No dust cover
  facetious | Oct 23, 2013 |
A grammar book with interesting examples. A good reference book for any book shelf. ( )
  TJWilson | Mar 29, 2013 |
I was recommended this book by a mom of one of my middle school students last year. She told my about this book at the beginning of the year, and I finally ordered it for myself months later from Maple Street Book Shop. Although I never found a chance to share the gothic, satirical sentences and examples with my middle school class (I didn't feel comfortable because of their age and the school's Catholic conservative atmosphere), I enjoyed sharing these examples and with my boyfriend and my friends, especially those friends as nerdy about grammar as I am.

The cover and title of the book is a bit misleading, but as soon as you turn to the contents page, you know instantly that this book is in fact a GRAMMAR book! Please check this out, buy it, or leaf through the pages! If you have any sense of satire, a gothic bone in your body, or love New Orleans for the ghosts, goblins, and spirits that loom over the city, you will love this book! I plan on sharing this book with my high school-aged students in reminding them about basic grammar rules that they long forgotten over those humid and heavy summer days. ( )
  apandrow | Nov 15, 2012 |
A witty, yet dark approach to exploring grammatical issues like parts of speech and verbals, this text demystifies common grammar problems through explanation, examples, and some illustration. In my classroom, I could use this book as a grammar reference text for my students. It would allow them to explore their grammar issues in a more meaningful way than a grammar workbook. ( )
  amclellan0908 | Feb 5, 2012 |
Dear Reader: this book is for you
It is in high spirits that this opulent, rapturous, vamped-up grammar drama leaps into your lap.
This is the original 1984 version of the book. Do not combine with the later updated 1993 Deluxe edition. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679418601, Hardcover)

Karen Elizabeth Gordon is no ordinary grammarian, and her works (including The New Well-Tempered Sentence, Torn Wings and Faux Pas, and The Disheveled Dictionary)--are no ordinary books of grammar. A special edition of the 1984 classic, The Deluxe Transitive Vampire is populated by a wickedly decadent cast of gargoyles, mastodons, murderous debutantes, and, yes, vampires (both transitive and otherwise), who cavort and consort in order to illustrate basic principles of grammar. The sentences are intoxicating--"How he loved to dangle his participles, brush his forelock off his forehead with his foreleg, and gaze into the aqueous depths"--but the rules and their explanations are as sound as any you might find in Strunk and White. Outlining the building blocks of the English language, from parts of speech to phrases and clauses, The Deluxe Transitive Vampire goes on to exorcise such grammatical demons as passive voice, fragments, comma splices, and run-on sentences. At last, a handbook of grammar you will actually want to read. In the words of Gordon's preface, "Howling, exploding, crackling, flickering with new life-forms, and drunk on fresh blood (some of mine is certainly missing), this deluxe edition reminds us on every page that words, too, have hoofs and wings to transport us far and deep."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:32 -0400)

This guide to the rules of grammar presents amusing instructional sentences to demonstrate correct usage and is illustrated with old engravings

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,553 books! | Top bar: Always visible