The Deluxe Transitive Vampire: The Ultimate…

The Deluxe Transitive Vampire: The Ultimate Handbook of Grammar for the… (edition 1993)

by Karen Elizabeth Gordon

Title:The Deluxe Transitive Vampire: The Ultimate Handbook of Grammar for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed
Authors:Karen Elizabeth Gordon
Info:Pantheon (1993), Edition: Revised, Hardcover, 192 pages
Tags:English Grammar, Non-Fiction, Satire, Gothic, Narrative, Eccentric, Entertaining, Grammar Usages, Conventions, Handbook, Sentences, Nouns, Verbs, Adjectives, Adverbs, Agreements, Phrases, Clauses, Fragments, Run-ons, Middle School, High School, Ages 12-18

The Transitive Vampire by Karen Elizabeth Gordon

Sin and Syntax: How to Craft Wickedly Effective Prose by Constance Hale (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Even more readable than Karen Elizabeth Gordon and also very funny. And easier to learn from, if that's your goal.

English (26)  Vietnamese (1)  All languages (27)
This grammar guide's quirky gimmick is that the example sentences are all dark and supernatural-themed, Victorian-flavored, vaguely erotic, or just plain weird. (E.g., "To nuzzle flagpoles is her secret desire," "If I die first, will you tuck me into my casket?" and "The werewolf had a toothache.") This is at least more interesting than the standard "John gave the ball to Mary" stuff, but it didn't necessarily work all that well for me. If anything, it's kind of distracting, and it doesn't make up for the fact that the grammar lessons themselves are very dry and focused more on providing names for all the possible parts of a sentence than on teaching you how to use them well. Plus, unsurprisingly, there are points upon which it gets overly pedantic. There are definitely better, and livelier, grammar guides out there. Still, it'll be worth hanging on to in case I need to quickly look up the difference between a participle and a gerund, or if I ever meet a Goth in need of grammar lessons. ( )
  bragan | Oct 1, 2015 |
My new grammar read. The grammar lessons are witty and helpful, but the vampire persona who writes the chapter intros doesn't quite work for me.
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
I enjoyed the concept of this better than the execution. It straddles the line between text book and humor, but doesn't do it very well. Other reviewers have already phrased it particularly well. I think that this could work for a high school audience in some cases, but not as a general-use textbook. I really wanted to enjoy this, but it became much more of a slog to actually enjoy it. ( )
  nivek1385 | Feb 26, 2015 |
This is a great book! Although it us a pretty thorough text about grammar, it is dressed in so much hilarity and freshness that it is pleasurable to read. I was surprised by the fact that it was published in 1984, as there is nothing about it that feels dated. I appreciate the pictures that are dispersed throughout the book as well; they are very enjoyably creepy. I recommend this book for middle school students all the way up to adulthood. For those who struggle with learning grammar, the light humor should make it more bearable for you ( )
  epenton | May 6, 2014 |
No dust cover
  facetious | Oct 23, 2013 |
Dear Reader: this book is for you
It is in high spirits that this opulent, rapturous, vamped-up grammar drama leaps into your lap.
This is the original 1984 version of the book. Do not combine with the later updated 1993 Deluxe edition. Thank you.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679418601, Hardcover)

Karen Elizabeth Gordon is no ordinary grammarian, and her works (including The New Well-Tempered Sentence, Torn Wings and Faux Pas, and The Disheveled Dictionary)--are no ordinary books of grammar. A special edition of the 1984 classic, The Deluxe Transitive Vampire is populated by a wickedly decadent cast of gargoyles, mastodons, murderous debutantes, and, yes, vampires (both transitive and otherwise), who cavort and consort in order to illustrate basic principles of grammar. The sentences are intoxicating--"How he loved to dangle his participles, brush his forelock off his forehead with his foreleg, and gaze into the aqueous depths"--but the rules and their explanations are as sound as any you might find in Strunk and White. Outlining the building blocks of the English language, from parts of speech to phrases and clauses, The Deluxe Transitive Vampire goes on to exorcise such grammatical demons as passive voice, fragments, comma splices, and run-on sentences. At last, a handbook of grammar you will actually want to read. In the words of Gordon's preface, "Howling, exploding, crackling, flickering with new life-forms, and drunk on fresh blood (some of mine is certainly missing), this deluxe edition reminds us on every page that words, too, have hoofs and wings to transport us far and deep."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:04 -0400)

This guide to the rules of grammar presents amusing instructional sentences to demonstrate correct usage and is illustrated with old engravings

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,834,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible