Scattered Suns (The Saga of Seven Suns) by…

Scattered Suns (The Saga of Seven Suns) (edition 2007)

by Kevin J. Anderson

Member:JeffV
Title:Scattered Suns (The Saga of Seven Suns)
Authors:Kevin J. Anderson
Info:Orbit (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 736 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Science-fiction

Scattered Suns by Kevin J. Anderson

Recently added byggoldby, peteart, private library, sandefitz, billythefish, wolfsbruder, Adurna101, chebsterr, ConalO

English (5)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (7)
To be fair, right off the bat, I did not finish this book. The narrator was O.K., but I don't really like it when men try to change their voice for women. Also, this being the fourth in the series, but my first, didn't help matters. I am not a die hard fantasy fan and the many nonsensical (to me) words in this made it very difficult to follow. It had many characters that didn't grip me and a lot of it seemed gleaned from other fantasy works. But don't let me stop you from reading it, I just picked up the wrong book for me. Oh, and you should probably start with the first one if you try it! ( )
  MrsLee | Jan 6, 2011 |
More finished then yet to be finished. That is a good thing with this series. This series is too long.

So long that it can put you to sleep.

Technically there are things that make your suspension of disbelief impossible because the author does not dot his eyes and cross his tees. We have the problem of time, over and over again. Some pages you can jump across the galaxy in hours, and on others it takes months.

This is because all of this is done to propel the human story. So much so that the alien races we have been introduced are really also humans. A close reading of the emotions and personalities of the aliens will show you that. Just an alien body with a human inside.

Initially the enemy was alien enough, but the addition of so many additional enemies has made that irrelevant, especially when the logical to their own way of thinking illogical robots prove to be as human as any other member of the story.

Then the illogical leaders of the story who think they can use propaganda so absolutely that they can start and continue to wage a war. A society so far advanced than ours that their is no dissident press. That there are no checks and balances on absolute power. That there no longer is a joint chiefs of staff to ensure that the military has become narrow focused.

Anderson needed to check with Turtledove who is much better at this sort of thing. Turtledove can take history (having taught it) and change the names and places but follow the path so that we can believe what we read. Even when our own world had Hitler, there were dissidents in Germany that looked for ways to remedy that, fled Germany when they saw the rise of the megalomaniacs, and many were rounded up and killed to Germany was weeded out, or knew to turn a blind eye, but knew what was occurring. In the world of Anderson, a much bigger sphere as it has most of human space under the thumb of the stories Dictator, only one or two are aware of the wrongness occurring.

It is a shame, because this could have been a lot better than it really is. ( )
1 vote DWWilkin | Jul 12, 2010 |
Book 4 of the Saga of the Seven Suns. After a rough beginning, I'm now pretty much on board with the characters now. In this volume, the Elderians became embroiled in a civil war, the Hansa attacked the outlier Roamer clans after they essentially went on strike when it was found one of their ships was destroyed by a Hansa raider, and the war against the Hydroges has taken a turn for the better, partially because of a weapon of Roamer design that shatters the diamond war globes, and partly because the ancient enemies of the Hydroges, the water-based Wentles, have joined the human cause. ( )
  JeffV | Jun 16, 2010 |
The series starts to pick up some speed in this book. I don't think I really got the characters straight in my mind until now. Part of the problem was the similarity of some of the names, such as Celli and Cesca, and Rusa'h and Udru'h. Also, the lack of distinction between male and female names from time to time added to the confusion. However, now that the characters are clearer in my mind, I can appreciate the action of the story. Unfortunately, if a part of the story grabs me, I may find myself waiting until the next book to see the continuation of that storyline. All in all, the story is imaginative and complex, though it draws on existing imagery from other SF universes. Characterization is good. On the down side, sheer number of characters and story structure can be confusing. This volume was the first time I noticed the action from one character's viewpoint continuing on to the next chapter from another perspective, coagulating the storyline a little better. Not KJA's best but not bad either. ( )
  nerdyone | May 12, 2009 |
Booklist Review: Chairman Basil Wenceslas leads a beleaguered human race, and the stress is beginning to tell on him--he views any dissent, of any sort, from his leadership as treason. This, of course, does nothing to calm fears in the human colonies. Meanwhile, the divisions of allegiance among the alien Ildiran increase the pain of their leader, Jora’h, at the disruption of his people’s long-standing psychic network. The question begins to ask itself: Is the war more dangerous to both sides than the victory of either side would be? Anderson’s colossal story of the clash of space empires, Saga of the Seven Suns, has definitely been influenced by his work for the Star Wars franchise and collaboration with Brian Herbert in expanding the universe of Frank Herbert’s Dune novels. Despite all the sweep, scope, and fast action of the saga, Anderson handles the essential conflicts in it so as to enhance characterization as well as keep things moving. A fine continuation of a fine saga.
-- Roland Green (BookList, 07-01-2005, p1910) ( )
1 vote | vsandham | Sep 25, 2006 |

Kevin J. Andersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John Silbersack,
my first editor, current agent, and longtime friend
Admiral Stromo war der ranghöchste Offizier an Bord des Manta-Kreuzers, aber die alltäglichen Entscheidungen überliess er Commander Elly Ramirez.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316003484, Mass Market Paperback)

The fourth novel in the Saga of Seven Suns series executes a plan that has been long in the making. The final, most powerful enemy against the humans is about to be launched; how will they survive?

The war between the alien hydrogues and the faeros rages, reducing suns to blackened shells--including one of the fabled seven suns of the Ildiran Empire. The Ildirans are engaged in a bloody civil war and are bitterly divided. Can they overcome their internal fighting to face a deadly new enemy?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:31 -0400)

The war between the hydrogues and the faeros rages with the humans and Ildirans caught in the crossfire. The many factions of humanity are bitterly divided as Chairman Wenceslas's vendetta against all independent colonies blinds him to outside dangers--the deadliest being the Klikiss robots that have infiltrated the entire human military and launched their long-planned extermination of all things flesh and blood. Meanwhile, Jora'h, the Ildiran Mage Imperator, must quash a bloody coup initiated by his mad brother.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible